Taylormade R9 Irons

I've now put in some 8 rounds in my R9's and am still convinced I made a great purchase, they are just as great for chipping as for any other shots (I also use PW, 8 and sometimes 6). I holed out one the other day (which I seldomly do).

Good to hear, my r9 's should be here in two weeks. I hope I get them in time to hit them before my golf vacation at the end of the month.
L57

r9's

r9's

Due to a shipping snafu my irons have not got here yet . Just a slight concern
I read a couple of recent reviews on the r9's on another site complaining
of ballooning ball flight with the kbs 90's stiffs which are the same shafts
I ordered. I only tried these on a simulator and did not have this problem. Real world results can be different, anyone have ballooning with the kbs 90 shafts?

Thanks L57

I ordered. I only tried these on a simulator and did not have this problem. Real world results can be different, anyone have ballooning with the kbs 90 shafts?

Thanks L57

No. In fact the KBS 90 shafts brought my ballflight down just a tad. And definitely no ballooning for me.

Thanks . needed to hear that!
gb

Thanks L57

My ball flight is the same. I have always had a high ball flight, but it is no more or less.

Really? They were the exact opposite to me and most of our testers for both the magazine and the site. The 300s have a slightly smaller club head, less offset, than that of the 200s.
Yup. I tested them side by side and didn't really care that much for the 200s. I felt almost every shot with the 300s was solid, straight and had a great ball flight, maybe a little high, but something I could live with. I had a difficult time hitting the 200s for some reason. I guess this is why you really need to try as many clubs as you can because everyone's swing matches up differently with diff. clubs.

Thanks L57

i already had a high ball flight, these have prob added to my ball height and i struggled in some strong winds the other day.....but even with the extra height i'm much more accurate and still getting extra length.........

i've gained enough confidence in them now to really sit the ball back in my stance and power through the shots.....this give that ball flight a beautiful low to high.....it's aesthetically pleasing and works great.

i'm wouldn't trade my R9s back for anything else

thats great news, im dyin to get the opportunity to try mine out asap.. :D

thats great news, im dyin to get the opportunity to try mine out asap.. :D
Same here. My custom R9's were delivered two weeks ago and not a single decent day here since. Although I am being a little picky about the maiden voyage and not wanting conditions to be an excuse for first impressions! :D

Same here. My custom R9's were delivered two weeks ago and not a single decent day here since. Although I am being a little picky about the maiden voyage and not wanting conditions to be an excuse for first impressions! :D

im still stuck with a gap in my yardage.. nothing between 50* and 60*.
have to keep sniffin around for option.. niblick, r9 GW (is not easy to find)..

I'm new and coincidentally got some new R9's 2 weeks ago. I've had 2 rounds and one long range session with them and I can't believe the difference in my iron game. My decent scoring was so dependent on good driving and my short game that I had to do something. I got custom fitted by 2 real sharp guys at Golf Advantage Inc. in the Sarasota FL area and it was the best thing I could have done. Their website describes their process and IMO it's the best way to go. No hitting off mats into a screen and no guesswork. I went from standard length and 1 degree upright regular flex to a half inch over with 2 degrees upright and S300 shaft. These clubs have all the feel and feedback I need and are about a club and a half longer. Now I just have to adjust to the new yardages, particularly in the wedges. And hitting the middle of the clubface on almost every shot sure makes a difference too. Any questions on them feel free to ask.

Welcome B Jones. THP headquarters is not too far from you. Where abouts in SW FL are you? We are just South of Venice.

JB, you're right up the road from me. I'm just a few miles down I75 in Deep Creek. Two of my all time favorite courses are right in your neighborhood, The Venetian Golf and River Club and Sarasota National. I'd love to get together for a round sometime. Thanks for the welcome.

Played Sarasota National just 2 weeks ago with the Sligo Guys before the PGA Show. We live in the Boca Royale Golf Community.

Back on topic, I absolutely love my R9 irons. It has been hard putting them down to review other irons.

I agree, they do feel great. The full shots feel fine but I'm most surprised by the response and feel when chipping and pitching balls 20 to 60 yards. I'm familiar with Englewood and now that Boca Royale is on the summer golf card, I plan to give it a try.

i already had a high ball flight, these have prob added to my ball height and i struggled in some strong winds the other day.....but even with the extra height i'm much more accurate and still getting extra length.........

i've gained enough confidence in them now to really sit the ball back in my stance and power through the shots.....this give that ball flight a beautiful low to high.....it's aesthetically pleasing and works great.

Thanks for the replies . Good to hear I have a lower ball flight , so a bit higher flight wouldn't hurt
so the ballooning doesn't seem to be problem for you guys.
Thanks L57

Hey guys, Great site!

I stumbled in here tonight while doing a search for R9 iron reviews... I read all 19 pages and things sound pretty good for this set! I'm wondering if any of you that are using these irons also have experience with the CGB max iron set?

I would be very interested to hear some comparisons.

Welcome Treg,
There is also another thread on the R9 irons that is 20 something pages as well. I did not play the CGB iron set, but did test them out. The R9s are completely different if you ask me. With the 1st swing you will notice it as well. Between the ball flight and the feel, you will see not a whole lot of similarities.

Welcome Treg,
There is also another thread on the R9 irons that is 20 something pages as well. I did not play the CGB iron set, but did test them out. The R9s are completely different if you ask me. With the 1st swing you will notice it as well. Between the ball flight and the feel, you will see not a whole lot of similarities.
Ive only hit a R9 6 iron but I play the CGBs and your right JB. The topline thickness to me was noticeable and the trajectory of the R9 seemed way lower for me.

Hey Guys.

I've read both long threads on the R9 iron set, Great info! Thanks everyone.

I was wondering if any of you R9 owners have any experience with the CGB max iron set? Or vise versa?

After wanting the CGB max set for about a year, I purchased a set about this time last spring. I guess I would rather leave my comments out about them for the moment and hear others comments on them. Even better yet, the CGB max vs R9... If thats possible.

I'm another central Ohio guy here and seeing the snow starting to melt away this past few days and some exposed grass for the first time in a month, I am getting the itch. Stopped in at GS the other day to check out some Mizuno iron sets and ended up hitting an R9 6i also. I liked it a lot but Im not a huge fan of making a club purchase from hitting balls from a mat into a net...

So I am reading on thses clubs while I wait.

I played the CGB Max for just 1 round of golf. I did not care for the slightly harsh feel. They hit the ball well and the distance was "ok", but nothing special for me. The R9s feel silky soft and I get more distance from them.

JB,

If you wrote a CGB max review at all, I'd love to read it.

JB,

If you wrote a CGB max review at all, I'd love to read it.

Unfortunately we did not. And also unfortunately they are not in production anymore, so I am pretty sure that TM will not be sending them to us. Sorry.

I did not care for the slightly harsh feel.

Well I will just tell ya, for me it was more then slightly harsh.

I played about 20 rounds in about 3 months with mine and I Really Really wanted to like those clubs but just didnt. It was what I called a dead feeling. They never had that "sweet spot" feel on a good hit and on an off center hit it was horribly harsh. I even invested $100 in Winn grips attempting to dilute the harshness and keep the clubs. The end result was digging out the 15 year old irons (first set I ever bought, rusting shafts and all) and selling the CGBs for 1/2 the price of new.

Being a big Taylor Made fan, I was beyond disappointed and to be honest, it ruined my confidence in their irons. SO, I was hoping to hear some similar stories about the CGBs and then hear how much improved the R9s are. :) As much as I would love to bag another set of TM's, (Everything else in my TM bag is TM but the putter and ball.) I'm just a little hesitant after my last experience... Reading everyones R9 comments here has helped though.

Very similar thoughts to what I had experienced.

Back