TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Maybe a 4 or 5w? I know TM makes a HL version of some of their woods.

They make a 5wHL, which is basically a 21 degree fairway wood. I don't think you'd have much trouble hitting that off the tee or really off the turf. It's a pretty easy FW to elevate

Just found this thread. I've been hitting the mini 14* since September. Was just using it off the fairway with fair results 7/10 were acceptable shots. Since Jan I have been using it as my driver. Off the tee I'm out about 235-240 yds, only 15 yds off what I used to hit my driver - if I hit it well. I've learned to hit it low or high by positioning the ball in my stance. What I love is that sweet "thack" sound, almost no feel in my hands when I hit the "sweet spot" and straight ball flight. Love it! Since using this as my driver I'm consistantly shooting in mid to low 80s. Last three rounds have been 81. Now just need to learn the sink those 6 ft and in putts. I'm more likely to make a 20 ft putt than a 4 footer, LOL. Now I'm looking to fill the gap between the mini and my 3 hy. Any ideas?

Maybe a 4 or 5w? I know TM makes a HL version of some of their woods.

I usually play a 4 wood in that spot. SLDR S 3HL was really good for me. Aeroburner 4 wood is ok too.

I still love my 16* mini. I can hit it off the deck just as well as any other 3 wood I've owned. Seriously contemplating a 12* mini, 14* Slider S Driver, and Speedblade irons because of how well I hit this. I like my clubs to match!

I'm about to compare one to my 3W off the tee. I don't have the SS to hit a 3W consistently off the deck, but I want to see if I can hit it further and straighter than my 3W off the tee. If I can it goes in the bag and replaces the 3W. If not? then I save the money.

Thanks for the info guys. Today I went to a Callaway demo at the A C Read golf course in Pensacola Fl. Hit a lot of clubs and ended up ordering a XR 4 wood. Very easy to hit off the deck, launched high landed soft about 215 total according to trackman. I'm hitting on the driving range and flying over the 200 yd flag! Perfect gap fill as I hit my 3hy 20.5* right a 195 total. This is the first Callaway club to go in my bag! cann't wait for it to arrive.

Just found this thread. I've been hitting the mini 14* since September. Was just using it off the fairway with fair results 7/10 were acceptable shots. Since Jan I have been using it as my driver. Off the tee I'm out about 235-240 yds, only 15 yds off what I used to hit my driver - if I hit it well. I've learned to hit it low or high by positioning the ball in my stance. What I love is that sweet "thack" sound, almost no feel in my hands when I hit the "sweet spot" and straight ball flight. Love it! Since using this as my driver I'm consistantly shooting in mid to low 80s. Last three rounds have been 81. Now just need to learn the sink those 6 ft and in putts. I'm more likely to make a 20 ft putt than a 4 footer, LOL. Now I'm looking to fill the gap between the mini and my 3 hy. Any ideas?

Yes, a 16* mini of course.:D Good luck with the XR.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it seems like the general consensus is: rubbish off the deck, but great off the tee.
I don't need a driver replacement, were getting along very well right now. I'm more interested in finding something to get more distance on long par 5's, and I can't stop wondering about something like this. Maybe some of the newer 3w's would give the extra distance I'm looking for?

BBB - there are quite a few long fairways out there right now that are going to be a little better suited to shots off the turf, assuming you are decent at that shot.

XR, AeroBurner, and TEE E8 would probably the first that come to my mind.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it seems like the general consensus is: rubbish off the deck, but great off the tee.
I don't need a driver replacement, were getting along very well right now. I'm more interested in finding something to get more distance on long par 5's, and I can't stop wondering about something like this. Maybe some of the newer 3w's would give the extra distance I'm looking for?

It's not the easiest to hit off the deck. I can do it, though it's not something I normally try with it. Off the tee I like it quite a bit. If you are looking for something off the deck that could give you longer distance, I would look elsewhere because this just doesn't seem like a match for that. Plenty of good FW's out there between this and last year. The tour edge stuff always seems long from the turf, Callaway has thrown on some good FW's in the past year too. Good budget find would be Jetspeed. Won't break the bank and the fairway was pretty darn good.

BBB - there are quite a few long fairways out there right now that are going to be a little better suited to shots off the turf, assuming you are decent at that shot.

XR, AeroBurner, and TEE E8 would probably the first that come to my mind.
I'll have to check those out, thanks. I still like my FL3W, but I always seem to overdraw it when trying to get a little more. It's still pretty great with a smooth swing, but I figure there has to more available from a newer club.

It's not the easiest to hit off the deck. I can do it, though it's not something I normally try with it. Off the tee I like it quite a bit. If you are looking for something off the deck that could give you longer distance, I would look elsewhere because this just doesn't seem like a match for that. Plenty of good FW's out there between this and last year. The tour edge stuff always seems long from the turf, Callaway has thrown on some good FW's in the past year too. Good budget find would be Jetspeed. Won't break the bank and the fairway was pretty darn good.
Thanks, I'll have to drive down to green bay this weekend and check some out. I'm sure I'll have to try this one as well, just to scratch that itch. I'm also pretty sure it's going to be just as you and Hawk are describing. Lok

After going through different drivers, I tried this at a local Golf Town here in Canada, not expecting anything and I was surprised how easy and straight this was to hit. I tried the 12 stiff since they have limited shaft and loft selections. I tried the 14 and 16 and nothing beats the 12. After pondering about it, I finally got one from EBay for half the price. It will replace my driver since I'd rather be on the fairway than be 250 yards under the trees.

My launch numbers were 93 ss, 133 ball speed, 12.6 launch, 2284 spin, 215 carry and 245 total distance. The best thing was my shots were going left, 15 yards left. I have always struggled with my driver and slicing my ball. I really like the shorter shaft and the smaller head. It gives me some psychological edge or something lol I tried the other lofts and shafts and the 12 stiff is the longest and less spin and straightest.

I have a Thriver from Hireko and it also is a 43.5 shaft and the loft is 14 and the head is like a regular 460 cc driver. It works most of the time but the big head throws me off. Hopefully this club can change my scores. I play off 10 handicap and driving is the only part of my game that is lacking.

BBB,
Like others have said, TEE fairway woods are great. I think they are longest and most solid I have ever hit. From the CB2 to any of the XCG models you can't go wrong. I use an XCG with an 85 gram shaft and it hits bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Mini 12* today. Been looking for a driver replacement on the tight 4s at my home course and think this will fit nicely. By the looks of the forecast it could be awhile before it sees the course though. :(

Some nice reviews!...

:D

You gotta get outside or anywhere away from the computer man. This behavior just isn't healthy.

You gotta get outside or anywhere away from the computer man. This behavior just isn't healthy.

What on earth are you talking about?

I just spent 45 minutes reading these reviews and I was impressed with what I read, so I said so! Maybe YOU need a break..

Last edited:
I just played my 1st round with mine yesterday. Only played it on one tee shot, hit the ball a little thin, but still went about 235 and straight down the middle. Once I play it a bit more I will come back and add to my review. So far I love the feel, feels like a little heavier swing weight than my driver, which I like!

Last edited:
I just played my 1st round with mine yesterday. Only played it on one tee shot, hit the ball a little thin, but still went about 235 and straight down the middle. Once I play it a bit more I will come back and add to my review. SO far I lvoe the feel, feels like a little heavier swingweight than my driver, which I like!

nice. Looking forward to your thoughts the more you use it.

I've had this club in 14 degrees for about 3 weeks now. I love it. I've been very inconsistent this year with my driver, so i was looking for something to get me down the fairway and keeping it in between the lines. For me, this club has done that. I'm still working on finding the appropriate ball height on the tee to get the best trajectory, but overall I've been very impressed. Quite honestly with this club in hand, i dont really need a driver because i get decent length and much less dispersion.

I've had this club in 14 degrees for about 3 weeks now. I love it. I've been very inconsistent this year with my driver, so i was looking for something to get me down the fairway and keeping it in between the lines. For me, this club has done that. I'm still working on finding the appropriate ball height on the tee to get the best trajectory, but overall I've been very impressed. Quite honestly with this club in hand, i dont really need a driver because i get decent length and much less dispersion.

How do you like the Fuji 57 Speeder shaft? I have only hit the Mini TP model and it has a different shaft.

How do you like the Fuji 57 Speeder shaft? I have only hit the Mini TP model and it has a different shaft.

I demoed the driver a lot last year with this shaft and I really like it. The one thing for me is that I know exactly where the club head is during the swing. With my driver I lose the club head and that affects my tempo. With the mini I know where it is and can swing more smoothly. Great mid high trajectory and straight as an arrow for me. If I knew I could hit a SLDR with the same shaft setup about 20-30 yards further I'd probably go with that setup. Otherwise I'm good with my mini right now.

Previously had a 12 and found to too flat. Have a 14 coming to try out. Very excited. Always liked the line the 12 gave me just not the carry. Lets see how it goes! Hopefully replace the 3. I never hit 3 from the deck purely tee on tight holes.

Hit my 14deg off the tee yesterday on a par 5 where the fairway narrows considerably. Hit a beautiful high fade, perfect spot for this club. This club is very easy to hit straight. Of course I put my 5 wood second shot in the hazard :banghead:. There is a reason golf is a four letter word.

Back