Technology Names - Does it bother you?

Yes, but only because I hate sloppy marketing. Plenty of products in plenty of industries do well with half assed marketing campaigns. The best campaigns in any industry tell a cohesive story that people can attach themselves to in some emotional manner.

No I don't care as long as it makes sense. RocketBallz was dumb but I don't think that is a technology yearn and just a dumb name for a club.

Dont think it bothers me

Technology names don't bother me at all and I actually don't mind when they get a little outlandish with them.

When the outlandish nonsense actually becomes the name of the clubs is where I take bigger issue with it. Rocketballz Tech would have been fine with me, but naming a driver "Rocketballz" is just awful. "Jailbreak Tech" is cool, but naming a driver the "Great Big Bertha 816 Alpha Double Black Diamond" is just plain dumb.

Now a qualifier. If anyone buys a club, or doesn't buy a club based purely on the name of the club or the name of the tech on the club then I just feel sorry for them. Life must be difficult if you walk around that blind and easily influenced.

Technology names don't bother me at all and I actually don't mind when they get a little outlandish with them.

Reminds me of this old Saturday Night Live sketch. How old is it? I was in college . . . .

I mean in the grand scheme of things the name doesn’t matter a whole lot. But I will mock a bad name all day long. Let’s be honest. Most names are pretty bad. Jailbreak? Hammerhead? These have nothing to do with golf (you could stretch both of those I suppose) but if the club performs that’s all that really matter to me.

Golf isn’t the only industry that sucks at naming things. Honda Fit? What kind of name is that?

Does not bother me a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just waiting for the “Straight & Long” to be introduced.

I’ll buy it at any price cause it’s gotta work, right?

I’m just waiting for the “Straight & Long” to be introduced.

I’ll buy it at any price cause it’s gotta work, right?

Maybe the “that’s what she said” hybrid?

Power holes is a a great name for a feature. That will spark some good on course conversation.

I guess I've never really considered what was in the names. They don't bother me at all.

I'm always interested in the 'what it do/how' facet of the tech story but the naming itself never makes any difference to me. There are plenty of goofy 'names' to go around the industry so it's not OEM specific IMO, other than certain OEMs are scrutinized/criticized differently for equally outlandish naming. As pointed out there have been many products that sold very well despite suspect naming because ultimately they performed well.

Last edited:
They're goofy but nothing would make me avoid a piece of equipment that works. I once thought "Epic" and "Jailbreak" were kinda dumb, now I just love straight drives.

Some of them may sound a little goofy, but if there is some performance there, I get by the name pretty quickly.

I find some a bit silly, but if the package works then I don’t really care about the tech names. If the package doesn’t work, I still don’t really care about the names but I won’t buy the club.

No more than dumb equipment names.

Still not sure why "hammerhead" sounds any dumber than "jailbreak".

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I actually prefer it, as it adds a little character. Just labelling things with a sequence of letters and numbers is a little boring IMO

In the end it doesn’t matter to me, but I must say I have read some of these tech names and just shook my head. I don’t think it would keep me from making a purchase though. Unless it was the “Bombtech reverse R Grenade”. Sorry had to throw that out there.

doesn't bother me, but you bet your ass I'm going to laugh at all the goofy names they come up with

“Technology” is the biggest word that bothers me when it comes to golf club marketing. I get that nobody is going to be excited if a manufacturer just says, “We made some minor tweaks that may make this product slightly better for a small percentage of players than the last thing we put out”, but that is usually the truth. Actual technological breakthroughs are rare, but if you believe the marketing they’re happening with every release.

No. They can call it anything they want as long as it helps me.

I agree they can, for the most part, call it whatever they want. The problem I have is with all the advancements in technology overall scores haven't seemed to change that much. It's still a hard game even if I hit the ball 5-10 yards farther and increase my club head speed by 1mph. At the end of the day I still have to put that little ball in that little hole.

What's in a name? Honestly, I don't care one iota. If it performs, I'm good.

I hate Tapatalk

Great Big Bertha Alpha 816 double black diamond is a terrible name, but it doesn't say gimmick to me the same way something like JetSpeed does.
If a driver with eight words in its name doesn't sound like they're trying too hard, but the one word driver comes across as "gimmicky" you might be biased.

Back