Tee it up on par 3s?

Yes, every time, and I use the same make/model tee I use for every other tee box.

Well wouldn’t you know, I get on hole 2 today with no tee in my pocket and a lack of motivation to return to my bag. Generally I’ll find a half tee on every par 3 but that back box doesn’t see much action. At 175 or so it’s a mid length 3 for what I play. I plopped it on the ground and proceed to miss it 20ft left. My play on that green is to miss it 15ft left and it’ll pop onto the green from the hillside. Right is DEAD with the cotton candy sand, you fly into that bunker and you can plan on an unplayable. So I missed my mark by about 5ft.

I’d have hit the shot with or without a tee. I just had a better chance at crisp contact with a tee. It won’t matter 80%+ of the time, but why give away an adavantage? @OldandStiff is good enough that it provides little advantage on shorter ones. Me? I’ll take the help.

I tee it on par 3s also all the way down in the ground. But beware. A teed mishit can be really nasty. 😂

I use broken tee and just have the wide part above the ground. Now if I’m teeing off on a short par 4 I might have the tee a little bit higher but still pretty close to the ground.

I never have a short tee in my pocket so I use broken tees anytime I'm able to find a one on the box (which is 99% of the time) though it doesn't bother me if I don't use one.

I always tee it up, golf is hard enough as it is.

I can only think of one par 3 where I haven't used a tee, but normally I would use a tee all the time

The only exception to this is if a course has mats in use that are in good condition

I do. I tee it so that the ball is just above the ground though. I believe it was Jack Nicklaus who once said that if you can tee it up and give yourself a perfect lie, why wouldnt you? If its good enough for Jack, its good enough for the rest of us.

that's what I was gonna say also

why wouldn't you tee it up? (y)

Very interesting responses!

Always use a tee although height sh vary depending on distance, etc.

ALWAYS.

Give me the PERFECT lie every time I can get it.

I use a tee on every par three. If my club is correct for the distance I will tee it where the ball is sitting level with the grass. If I need a few more yards I will tee it a smidge higher to reduce spin and get a little more distance from the shot. Before Covid I used broken tees laying around. Now I have a single Epoch 1" tee that I have used for a dozen rounds or more.

Yes I do. Normally it's just above the ground by 1/4" or so... but reading here how teeing it up a bit higher may help more... I might try that.

Always, unless I am just throwing another ball down for a swing.

Par 3s always on a tee.

I generally won't tee up a LW, SW, or GW on a par 3 but I will everything else. At my home club that means I tee it up on every par 3.

Everytime as well, as someone that doesn't take much of a divot in general the extra height helps me get even better contact.

I always get reactions for my view on this, but my feet are on the actual ground and the ball sits up on Bermuda/Zoysia. If you raise it up high enough to be above it with a short club that you're coming at the ball with some AoA you're literally creating a ball above your feet-low point/swing path problem you have to solve. It's not a benefit. As long as there's no actual grass behind the ball, there's no 'better lie' to be had in that situation. Imo.
Would you always use a tee if you played in colder climates that use bent grass, that is clipped very tight?

I always use a tee, which gives me my best lie on the tee boxes that I normally encounter. It likely is a short one, pushed var into the ground, but it gives me more confidence that I will make a more solid strike. I also have a shallow angle, so a tee helps. I hope to steepen it a bit this winter.

Normally tee it up unless it's a wedge (even the PW). If I am using a wedge I will still try to give myself a perfect lie on the tee box but I just can't hit a wedge from a tee. I know that most PW are more like 10 irons (or even 9 irons) but I just can't do it. I have a friend that tees it very high (like I would for a 3 wood) and I would really worry about getting way underneath that but it seems to work for him.

I always use a broken tee on par three’s. Always. I do remember once when right after a double bogey that was going to kill a great round, I threw my ball on the ground in disgust at the next tee and struck a shot out of anger that went in the hole for my one and only hole-in-one. So, almost, always.

It depends on the condition of the tee box. If it's nice, full, even grass, I'll just throw the ball down and roll it to where I want it. If the lie on the tee box is sketchy/less than perfect I'll use a tee.

I'm teeing it up on a par 3 100% of the time.

Yep, I use a tee on every tee box no matter the par.

Back