Production has started on the Model 3. I didn't reserve one (yet!) but I'm extremely tempted to drop the grand to get on the list!! How's everyone who's reserved one holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think my next car will likely be the model 3. I have about a year and a half before I'm looking to make a move so they should have time to iron out kinks by then.

I love having an electric car, but mostly because I am cheap and have solar power at my rental. Oh and I get HOV lane access even when it is only me in car and I get a $500 rebate from the electric company.

Would very gladly get a Model 3 when they are available, but no way I am paying $40k or whatever it actually costs for one when I paid $14k for my Volt and have spent maybe $200 in gas in the last 9 months. Maybe in 2 years when they are available I will think about it.

I heard the Tesla's didn't get a very good "Crash" rating. Anyone confirm this?

Tesla released a statement regarding it. They didn't speak kindly of IIHS.

They got an excellent rating in 4 of the 5 crash tests and an acceptable rating in the 5th crash test. The crash rating only applys to the Tesla Model S with the smaller 75kw battery rating, which not many Model S owners have. The bigger battery weighs 1200 lbs and adds additional structural rigidity to the Model S.

The thing that you have to remember about these crash tests is the IIHS only does 5 of them. Volvo does 42 crash tests so you really need to keep these IIHS crash test ratings in perspective. IMO they are very incomplete, 5 crash tests is not nearly enough to give you an accurate picture of crash dynamics but they are limited by their budget.

A car such as a Toyota Avalon will have an excellent rating in all 5 categories just like a Mercedes S class but after calling on body shops for my job for the last 2 decades and seeing thousands of crashed cars, I absolutely believe that the Mercedes is a much better car for the occupants if you are in a serious crash. I feel the same way about a Tesla Model S as a Mercedes S class. I've seen several totaled Teslas where the occupants walked away with minor bruises.

From an article on the recent IIHS rating.

A little perspective is in order, though. The Model S still sailed through four of five crash tests administered by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. But that one "acceptable" score makes the S ineligible for the agency's coveted “Top Safety Pick.” (The IIHS tested a Model S with a 75-kWh battery back, so the results don’t apply to the cars with the 100-kWh pack. Tesla did not reply to a request for comment.)

They got an excellent rating in 4 of the 5 crash tests and an acceptable rating in the 5th crash test. The crash rating only applys to the Tesla Model S with the smaller 75kw battery rating, which not many Model S owners have. The bigger battery offers additional rigidity to the Model S.

The thing that you have to remeber about these crash tests is the IIHS only does 5 of them. Volvo does 42 so you really need to keep these IIHS crash test ratings in perspective.

From an article on the recent IIHS rating.

A little perspective is in order, though. The Model S still sailed through four of five crash tests administered by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. But that one "acceptable" score makes the S ineligible for the agency's coveted “Top Safety Pick.” (The IIHS tested a Model S with a 75-kWh battery back, so the results don’t apply to the cars with the 100-kWh pack. Tesla did not reply to a request for comment.)

Cool info ... thanks. I need a commuter car, so the wife & I have been considering one.

Tesla's statement. Basically saying IIHS has their own agenda

"While IIHS and dozens of other private industry groups around the world have methods and motivations that suit their own subjective purposes, the most objective and accurate independent testing of vehicle safety is currently done by the U.S. Government which found Model S and Model X to be the two cars with the lowest probability of injury of any cars that it has ever tested, making them the safest cars in history."

Cool info ... thanks. I need a commuter car, so the wife & I have been considering one.

We have 56,000 on our 2 year old Model S and it is easily the best car we've ever owned. It saves my wife 2+ hours per week of time by getting her in the commuter lane when driving back and forth to work. We save about $4,000 per year by not having any fuel costs. So far I've spent a total on all maintenance and service of $7 on a cabin air filter. I just ordered the first set of replacement tires and believe it or not, we've never had to rotate the tires on our AWD Model S.

I'm guessing that the one of the biggest long term advantages of a Tesla is the lack of maintenance. Brakes don't need any service for 100K or more miles and there is no trasmission, no radiator, no oil changes, etc. Over a decade we will save $40,000 in fuel costs. We have solar and our annual electric bill is exactly the same($1150) as it was before we had the Tesla.

We have 56,000 on our 2 year old Model S and it is easily the best car we've ever owned. It saves my wife 2+ hours per week of time by getting her in the commuter lane when driving back and forth to work. We save about $4,000 per year by not having any fuel costs. So far I've spent a total on all maintenance and service of $7 on a cabin air filter. I just ordered the first set of replacement tires and believe it or not, we've never had to rotate the tires on our AWD Model S.

I'm guessing that the one of the biggest long term advantages of a Tesla is the lack of maintenance. Brakes don't need any service for 100K or more miles and there is no trasmission, no radiator, no oil changes, etc. Over a decade we will save $40,000 in fuel costs. We have solar and our annual electric bill is exactly the same($1150) as it was before we had the Tesla.

That's awesome! That in itself is worth it.

Saw one today in person at a Tesla booth in a Mall. It's NICE!

Waiting to hear from people who actually own one. May wait a couple of years to let the dust settle and then consider one.

I still think my next car will likely be the model 3. I have about a year and a half before I'm looking to make a move so they should have time to iron out kinks by then.

Exactly my idea too. Tesla is constantly doing engineering work to their cars so Model 3s produced in 2019 should be very solid by then. I still thought about doing a reserve just to know an exact date to let go of my very last ICE car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back