The single motor Model S85 is in that 5.4 second 0-60 range. The 4.4 second 0-60 is for the 85D(dual motor) which is about $10k more and has about the same horsepower but has more torque. The 4.4 second time is listed as such on their design studio section of their website. Tesla had a software update several months ago that improved the 0-60 for the 85D from 4.8 down to 4.4 seconds. The company I work for has quite a few products that go into the Tesla at the factory and many other products that are used when Tesla's are in need of repair after an accident. I've toured the Tesla factory as and have had the chance to talk to several of their engineers. Evidently the dual motor 85D and P85D software updates improved the acceleration by utilizing/optimizing the available torque of each engine independently at every speed. The P85D's software update dropped the 0-60 time from 3.2 to 2.8 seconds. I have a neighbor with the P85D and the "ludicrous" mode is truly something that can't be explained until you drive it for yourself.

Car and Driver just tested the P90D and the 30-50 mph acceleration was 1.3 seconds, faster than any car they have ever tested. It also ran the 1/4 mile in 11.1 seconds, .4 seconds faster than a 2015 Corvette Z06 and only a half a second slower than a $195k 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo.

Pretty darn insane for sure. When my AMG lease is up I'm definitely going to have to take a look at the 85D or the P models. By then I'll also be out of the current downtown condo and probably in a house in the burbs where I could charge it in the garage. I'd definitely miss the great exhaust notes of the AMGs, but 0 to 60 in 2-3 seconds could more than make up for that. Would be a blast to drive around. Not to mention the fact that I don't know anyone that doesn't love their Tesla, even some of the "slower" ones.

Thanks for the info!

My wife and I saw a Model 3 driving in our neighborhood when we were out for our run this morning. The guy driving it must work at Tesla with the release still 7-9 months out. In person it is more similar to the Model S than I would have expected from the pictures, shockingly similar and the front grill area looks much better in person than the photos. We are going to pay the deposit now and get in the queue because by the time we need it in 2 years it might actually be ready for delivery. My wife will get the Model 3 and I will take over her faster and larger Models S that by that time will have 90,000 miles on it. It will have no problems carrying me and 3 buddies and clubs to the golf course. :act-up:

Last edited:
Really great pros and cons conversation going on on CNBC right now. Carl Q brought up the re-education process that owners will have to go through and showed the video of him driving and he was mostly positive. He spoke of plugging in the screen driving to your stop and the screen going off a couple of times telling him where he would have to stop for power fill up and that it would take 20 minutes roughly per stop.

They asked Musk this question and he concurs that it is an education that will have to take place, because outside of tooling around your town any drive of distance, the fillups will take substantially longer than that of filling a gas tank. Really good conversation.

Really great pros and cons conversation going on on CNBC right now. Carl Q brought up the re-education process that owners will have to go through and showed the video of him driving and he was mostly positive. He spoke of plugging in the screen driving to your stop and the screen going off a couple of times telling him where he would have to stop for power fill up and that it would take 20 minutes roughly per stop.

They asked Musk this question and he concurs that it is an education that will have to take place, because outside of tooling around your town any drive of distance, the fillups will take substantially longer than that of filling a gas tank. Really good conversation.

I believe this will need to be fixed before tesla takes the next step. people dont want to wait for anything let alone waiting at a recharging station for 25 minutes.

I believe this will need to be fixed before tesla takes the next step. people dont want to wait for anything let alone waiting at a recharging station for 25 minutes.

For many city drivers, it wont be a big deal. The problem is driving longer distance and it becomes a major pain or a complete re-reducation.

For many city drivers, it wont be a big deal. The problem is driving longer distance and it becomes a major pain or a complete re-reducation.

I think it's more re-education. Time your restroom breaks/snack/lunch/dinner to coincide with arrival at a Supercharger since they are almost always attached to a convenience store or quick-serve restaurant.

You're spot on JB. For me it wouldn't be a big deal, but this would be a strictly commuter car for me. 25 miles to work, a couple miles at lunch, 25 miles home. I'd probably use it in the city on weekend errands, but it would not be my weekend roadtrip car. I'd have to have at least one other car for that. I'm considering one of these, depending on how everything shakes out, and it would be a 3rd car for us, I wouldn't trade in my truck or my wife's commuter for this.

I think it's more re-education. Time your restroom breaks/snack/lunch/dinner to coincide with arrival at a Supercharger since they are almost always attached to a convenience store or quick-serve restaurant.

Yep, used to make drives with my friend who works for Tesla from KC to Saint Louis, we would always stop about halfway to eat and grab a charge, by the time we had a quick meal, which we would have done anyway, we were ready to hit the road again.

In a forever fast always on the move world we live in now, I disagree a bit.
Not everybody wants to stop for lunch. They want to leave early in the morning and get to their destination by lunch time.

Having only 215 miles per charge (per dealer in optimum, so you know it will be less) means charging every 3 hours according to CNBC. That means that driving to Jacksonville for instance from Tampa, would be nearly impossible. Or Miami from Tampa. Or many other major cities in states around the country because the systems are not in place yet and if they were, you are tacking on another 30 minutes minimum to your journey.

That is a MAJOR education task to tell people that owning this car will make long drives take 30 minutes plus longer.

For me, i would look at this and say not a big deal (i drive less than 4 miles to work), but i couldn't take this on a trip to chicago. While the distance would be okay, i'd get to downtown chicago and be rapidly looking for a place to charge it (or have to stop somewhere in between). Definitely not ideal. A longer trip would be really tiresome as i can go twice that in my car before stopping for gas (what i believe a regular tesla does - 400 miles right?)

Not everybody wants to stop for lunch. They want to leave early in the morning and get to their destination by lunch time.

Having only 215 miles per charge (per dealer in optimum, so you know it will be less) means charging every 3 hours according to CNBC. That means that driving to Jacksonville for instance from Tampa, would be nearly impossible. Or Miami from Tampa. Or many other major cities in states around the country because the systems are not in place yet and if they were, you are tacking on another 30 minutes minimum to your journey.

That is a MAJOR education task to tell people that owning this car will make long drives take 30 minutes plus longer.

do you think Tesla even wants it to be a road trip car? or more of a short distance commuter? i think it might be better to just corner the market for people that are willing to accept it and either fly or take another car for those long trips.

do you think Tesla even wants it to be a road trip car? or more of a short distance commuter? i think it might be better to just corner the market for people that are willing to accept it and either fly or take another car for those long trips.

I definitely agree with that. The problem is its not marketed that way. They have not educated properly on the subject in my opinion and because of that, outside of places like California with charging stations everywhere, its not ideal...Yet.

If people are yay gung ho about it, they will find a way to make it work. The general consumer and driver is far more excited about the concept than the execution however.

It's completely impractical for road trips. If I had one we'd have to use the second car for roadtrips.

If I'm driving 600 miles I would have to make two lunch stops? No way does that work for me. But we definitely are not a one car household so that's not really problem. Even if for some reason we were going on 2 separate trips we have lots of family in the area we could switch cars with. I still like the idea to having one of us switch to an electric in the next few years.

A friend of mine here owns a Tesla and this one of the challenges he faces. If he has a long road trip he has to map out whether there are enough charging stations for him to get to his destination. If not, they have to take the other car. He loves taking the Tesla on road trips, but realizes it is just not practical right now. It has become the car they just drive around Indy.

There are certain people who will be out on this because they don't want to wait 25 minutes to charge the car, but many people take roadtrips without the idea of just doing them as fast as possible. I don't disagree that some people won't like the idea of waiting to charge their car, but for the decent amount of people that have bought them so far, clearly it isn't an obstacle.

I want to see Tesla do well, I love the concept, and I am just not sure there is going to be a way around making people wait for their car to charge, it isn't like they have to sit for hours, it is the amount of time it takes to run into a restaurant and eat.

There are certain people who will be out on this because they don't want to wait 25 minutes to charge the car, but many people take roadtrips without the idea of just doing them as fast as possible. I don't disagree that some people won't like the idea of waiting to charge their car, but for the decent amount of people that have bought them so far, clearly it isn't an obstacle.

I want to see Tesla do well, I love the concept, and I am just not sure there is going to be a way around making people wait for their car to charge, it isn't like they have to sit for hours, it is the amount of time it takes to run into a restaurant and eat.

One issue here is nobody has used a Model 3 for extended periods of time. It will have less battery life based on what I have read, even marginally. CNBC said roughly 3 hours of driving. That is not very far.

If you are talking short road trips, yeah one stop for 30 minutes isn't a big deal. But if it's farther and 2 or more stops that seems like a big problem to just about anybody. It doesn't seem like many will want to leave the house at 7, stop at 10, 1 and 4. That just sounds awful to me.

Like I said, I really like the product and hope to have one in the next 5 years, but I wouldn't consider it at all feasible for trips.

One issue here is nobody has used a Model 3 for extended periods of time. It will have less battery life based on what I have read, even marginally. CNBC said roughly 3 hours of driving. That is not very far.

My guess is this is the base model battery life. I am pretty sure there will be a 65kwh and 90kwh options that will up the mileage to 300 miles per charge.

As fupresti said, there will most likely be upgraded battery options which will significantly increase driving distance. Yes it will cost more, but if you plan on using it for something other than a daily commuter, it will make road trips much more feasible.

As fupresti said, there will most likely be upgraded battery options which will significantly increase driving distance. Yes it will cost more, but if you plan on using it for something other than a daily commuter, it will make road trips much more feasible.

Watching the thing on CNBC, they wont get as much as the model S. But lets say it makes it 4 hours of driving. That does not change much in all honesty as far as education and you will be adding tens of thousands of dollars to the cost of the machine that will most likely no longer have a tax credit to carve back out of it.

Im not disputing what the company is trying to do. And everybody that knows me knows I love choices, but choices have to make sense in my opinion and right now this is the lovable company and in many ways is very AAPL like. Which is funny because if you look at the buyers, they are almost always the same. There is no right or wrong, just a matter of opinion because the 3 is not out yet.

But the country is going to have to do major catch up if 35% of the people that made deposits get a car, which I dont think will happen. Then add the company has some serious issues, and needs more funding (which it looks to be getting) to make production times happen.

I like the idea of these. There are a lot of concerns I have about the company actually delivering a viable product. If that happens this could well be a car I buy, but it won't be my only car. It would be a third car. It could possibly replace my wife's car, but I like the convenience of having a truck for hauling things, I just don't need to haul things to and from work.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

For electric cars to be viable in this country (for the majority) I think it will take some kind of universal battery pack that is easily changed. So you will drive into a "gas station" pull into a car wash looking thing that takes out your dead battery and puts in a charged one. "gas stations" will now charge batteries and do the exchange for long trips.

I saw one these while we were hanging out at South Beach in Miami. I knew what it was instantly but have to admit that it did not wow me. Now you see a lot of their four door sedan which is pretty awesome but the Model 3 did not do it for me.

Just realized that I saw a model X not a model 3. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Back