Texas Wedge, When And Where Do You Use It

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
There are times when I will use a Texas Wedge more that chipping around the green especially if the pin placement is close up and I don't have much green to work with. So when would you use one?

If the fringe is generally flat and short it's fair game, tight pins with not a lot of green to work with for a chip/flop. I use it quite a lot actually.

I have to be very close to the pin and right off the green to ever use a putter. I've used a wedge from just off the green and less than 10ft from the pin before. I am just more comfortable doing so a lot of the time.

If the fringe is generally flat and short it's fair game, tight pins with not a lot of green to work with for a chip/flop. I use it quite a lot actually.

Similar for me, definitely a higher percentage shot, when I'm trying to protect a score.

Please excuse my ignorance...Texas wedge?

I use this shot on very tight and firm lies. It’s used more when it’s been a while since I’ve played and my touch on those short shots is not there.

Same for me. It typically means I'm no more than a few feet off the green. I usually won't use it if I'm on the opposite side of the green from the pin with plenty of room to work with.

It's the idea that your worst putt will never be as bad as your worst chip/pitch.

Haha. Ok, now I get it. I don't do it very often. If there is a foot or two of fringe and it's smooth and tight. Also, has to be a relatively short putt. I am not very good with my touch when having to judge speed before the ball even gets to the putting surface. Plus, I have gotten pretty decent and the low chip that checks up.

I will will use the Texas wedge as soon as I can as long as the area is tightly mowed.

My bunker play has improved a lot so if i was having a round where it was just pitiful and my round was in the trash, i'd use it on a wet lie with no lip. At that point I just want the ball out of the bunker.

My chipping is really bad, so I tend to use more often if I'm able.

All depends on how far off and how tightly mowed. I have used it over 20 feet before.

I should use it more since my chipping and pitching are not good. But then my putting is even worse so it’s kind of a pick your poison

It's either texas wedge when I'm close to the green or a 7i for a bump and run

Very rarely. I love using my 60 if I'm that close.

Taken for the article above:

Back in Ben Hogan's day and earlier, many Texas golf courses, especially those outside the biggest cities, were noted for very dry, hard conditions. Fairway grass could be thin and very tightly mowed (if it was even growing), fairways hard, little to no rough and winds high.

Many Texas courses had push-up greens. Chipping or pitching from 20, 30, 50 feet off the green, from very tight lies to small, domed greens, and in plenty of wind, was a challenge, even for very good golfers.

So golfers in that circumstance developed an alternative: They pulled out the putter and rapped the ball up to the green on the ground. The Texas wedge.

The fringe on my home course is like brillo, so I have to be fairly close to the green, or it won't get to the pin unless it is downhill.

From the fringe around the green as long as it isn't against the grain. Otherwise, i will chip with a more lofted club to clear the fringe and begin rolling on the putting surface.

I'm a huge proponent of using the Texas wedge (putter) anytime that I think it will be the best choice for me given the shot I need to execute.

Conditions between my ball and the green have to be firm, and closely mowed before my using a putter from off the green.

Also, I don't want much distance from my ball to the edge of the green. Plus the over all putt distance to the hole needs to be considered.

If the grass area to the green is not closely mowed, but putting is stll an option, I will pay a little more attention to which way the grain is growing.

Basically like the old rule of thumb says; " if I can putt, I putt. If I can't putt, I chip. If I can't chip, I pitch".

From the fringe.
Out of a hardpan bunker if there’s no lip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back