The 2014-15 College Basketball Season

This is an honest question not meant as a slam against UT.

But if he said no to UCLA last year, what would Texas have to make him say yes ?

Will they pay substantially more than what UCLA would?

SaA

But if he said no to UCLA last year, what would Texas have to make him say yes ?

Don't know other than come to Austin cuz it's weird?! :D Rumor is it's $2.8M a year for 5 or 6 years which almost doubles his current contract. I know he currently recruits some Texas kids and areas too so maybe he's more confident with the recruiting ground he'd have to cover.

But I don't think Patterson would have gotten on that plane today only to fly back empty handed. If that happens he will be goat waiting to come home to the slaughter.

SaA

Honestly that was my first question and it is no disrespect to Texas at all. UCLA's history in basketball is unquestionable and that opportunity didn't get him to leave.

Of course Briante Weber and Treveyon Graham are seniors this year and that makes me wonder if that plays a part.

The 2014-15 College Basketball Season

Honestly that was my first question and it is no disrespect to Texas at all. UCLA's history in basketball is unquestionable and that opportunity didn't get him to leave.

Of course Briante Weber and Treveyon Graham are seniors this year and that makes me wonder if that plays a part.

I absolutely don't think you can underestimate the departure of those two.

He may have viewed this year as their best chance for another Final Four run (until Weber went out)

They have talent next year but it's not really to the level of this years team, IMO

Nate. I've been to Austin and I certainly saw the downtown scene that would attract anyone.

But as far as I know he's a happily married man with kids :)

I absolutely don't think you can underestimate the departure of those two.

He may have viewed this year as their best chance for another Final Four run (until Weber went out)

They have talent next year but it's not really to the level of this years team, IMO

Nate. I've been to Austin and I certainly saw the downtown scene that would attract anyone.

But as far as I know he's a happily married man with kids :)

I think more than the downtown scene is attractive with Austin. Have grown up there, the weather is nice year round, the outdoor life is active, the food is good and on and on. I don't think he's coming for the downtown scene. He-He.

And doesn't bother me that UCLA might (is) be a better location/job than Texas. Rooting that he's the next head coach at Texas.

I think more than the downtown scene is attractive with Austin. Have grown up there, the weather is nice year round, the outdoor life is active, the food is good and on and on. I don't think he's coming for the downtown scene. He-He.

And doesn't bother me that UCLA might (is) be a better location/job than Texas. Rooting that he's the next head coach at Texas.
My trip there about 4 years ago, I had one free day before our conference began. I was going to get out and see some of the other areas and try and play Barton Creek, but I got sick as a dog, and had to try and rest up for the conference. But we did have a good time in the music district. Went to a famous Piano Bar, that I can't remember the name of, but good times, great food and really nice people.

Oh yeah the weather in January was unbelievable.

This guy will be down in RVA for the rally to keep Shaka.

I am torn... I think they are going to offer him so much that is makes it nearly impossible to say no. I do not think its a great job under the current AD, but the resources they have are incredible.

I was absolutely floored when he turned down UCLA, so I hope I am floored again.

In regards to him as a coach... I think his best attribute is being a leader and recruiter. I think he is a fine coach, but I do not think he is a great in-game coach honestly. X's and O's, he leaves some things to be desired. With that said, he has never had insanely talented players. He gets the most out of what he has for sure.

#LoveForCoachSmart

This guy will be down in RVA for the rally to keep Shaka.

I am torn... I think they are going to offer him so much that is makes it nearly impossible to say no. I do not think its a great job under the current AD, but the resources they have are incredible.

I was absolutely floored when he turned down UCLA, so I hope I am floored again.

In regards to him as a coach... I think his best attribute is being a leader and recruiter. I think he is a fine coach, but I do not think he is a great in-game coach honestly. X's and O's, he leaves some things to be desired. With that said, he has never had insanely talented players. He gets the most out of what he has for sure.

#LoveForCoachSmart
Couldn't agree with this post more, everything you said, I think is 100% spot on. I was going to make the same comment about his coaching style and ability actually.

That said, he could coach my team anytime, and for selfish purposes, I hope he stays. But like you said, these dollars may be the highest offered to him yet and at some point, you really have to think about your long term financial success. Not that he's the poorest guy in Richmond by any means :)

Well...now this seals the deal for Shaka to stay at VCU

Reports are that Shaka has an 8PM team meeting at VCU.

Ugh.. Not what I wanted to hear.

Looks like he's the next head coach at Texas from what I'm seeing on Twitter.
I'm sure he and saban will want to be neighbors there is Austin :)

Miami fought hard and lost in OT in the NIT final but to play that hard in a final with 2 starters out and an injured 2nd string guard was nice. They started a 3rd string freshman and came so close.

Well wishes Shaka. Losing him hurts... but my goodness losing some of this next recruiting class will hurt worse.

I do not even want to think about losing Mack, Murphy or Williams. Toss in the fact that Larrier/Mo could transfer. Kick me in the nads.

On a coaching note... two names jump out to, both of which are ex VCU assistants under Smart. Will Wade and Mike Rhoads.

Well wishes Shaka. Losing him hurts... but my goodness losing some of this next recruiting class will hurt worse.

I do not even want to think about losing Mack, Murphy or Williams. Toss in the fact that Larrier/Mo could transfer. Kick me in the nads.

On a coaching note... two names jump out to, both of which are ex VCU assistants under Smart. Will Wade and Mike Rhoads.
Yeah, it's tough to see. But in reality, a day that we all knew would happen eventually. I really like the job for him there, maybe much more so than any other job he had been offered before.

I brought up the why is Texas better than UCLA question to a coach friend of mine. He said something so obvious I never thought of it.

"No matter how well he ever would have done at UCLA, he never would be considered the best coach ever there, never not a chance. And while people don't really expect another John Wooden, you'll always be striving to reach those levels. At Texas, Barnes did very well for 16 years, but one National Championship or a couple deep runs in the tournament the first few years, and he will be considered one of the best coaches ever there."

I think the job has so many positive aspects to it, that it was just the right job at the right time (he was losing a lot off this years team as mentioned before). There is still some talent there, but we all saw they were a completely different team the lat part of the year without Weber.

The new coach will be interesting. I think you almost have to go with a Shaka protege that intends on keeping the same style and philosophy. Wade and Rhodes are two natural possibilities. I've heard Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant mentioned as well.

Personally I'm hoping/wondering who on the current VCU roster may have been initially recruited by Towson also, might be giving them a second look :)

Talking about practice...

0daf9d1e124ff04792bc08556a758c7c.jpg

A lot of people for the open practices

aa355484babdb967d3eae4f6b97f0b9d.jpg

Doug Gottleib breaking down the match ups

c0990dbd2e855c7b4d77ad89033e20ca.jpg

Holy crap. That's crazy. Is it mostly locals or are there fans from the schools.

SaA

VCU had to know this day was coming. I wish Shaka the best of luck in Austin and hope it turns out to be a good move for him.

Holy crap. That's crazy. Is it mostly locals or are there fans from the schools.

SaA
I think a little bit of both, but more Kentucky fans by the minute.

I just hope we can win these next two games. Go Big Blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuck a few pictures off from a VIP section before getting kicked out.

5dade20b80d9911e16b597a418d0ad91.jpg

47bc1497c49f7f777ef261c22d1c66d5.jpg

Didn't you say, "Do you know who I am?"

Apparently saying Christian Laettner didn't work with the Kentucky security guards.

Back