The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Shot this on the way to the range today. I look forward to giving a little more in depth post, as my teammates have been rocking the hell out of this!

I was a little nervous, and probably came across as a dork... but that's pretty much who I am, why not embrace it?

I liked the video! Very nice to meet you and can't wait to meet you in person. I think we will get along just fine :)

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright here goes nothing:

Many of you know of me, some of you don't, but for those of you who don't, my name is Taylor Ryan. Ya ya, I am the guy with three first names (Given name is John.) I have been called all three at many points in my life, and it probably won't ever stop. I am 26 years old as of this past Tuesday. I live in Kansas City Missouri, right near downtown. I moved to Kansas City when I turned 18 to purse a baseball scholarship at a Divison 2 school here. I played for about two years before I tore my left labrum (pitcher) and decided that I liked partying and hanging with my fraternity buddies more than 12 months of rehab. After I finished my undergrad I went right back and got my MBA In Healthcare Admin and that led me to my job at a big healthcare consulting company based here in Kansas City. I spend roughly 75% of my time traveling, which really wears on you, but I am not long for the traveling world and ultimately plan on moving back to Dallas where I grew up in about 6-9 months. Dallas is a big part of my life, I am the oldest of four kids and everyone in my immediate family calls the DFW Metroplex home but myself currently. I have a dog named Dallas who lives with my parents, and I am thrilled to get her back when I move home!

About my golf game... Well I got my first set of clubs the Christmas of 2009, so I haven't been playing very long. I figured if I could hit a 90 MPH fastball hitting a little ball that didn't move would be a cakewalk. I have struggled quite a bit, my lowest recorded handicap was a 7.8, but right now I am playing at around a 13. This past year has been rough with the weather and my schedule, and I never really felt like I got into a really good rhythm with my game. My tee game is the weakest part of my game right now. I am fairly long off the tee, but my control has proven to be quite an issue this year. I am a pretty good iron striker, and my putting is pretty decent, but I lose most of my strokes off the tee and around the green.

As for my competitive history, I was one lucky son of a gun getting to play in the OG #Grandaddy, so I have a little bit of an idea what we are all in for in a couple short months. I thrive on competition, but I like to keep things light hearted. I think of myself as a good teammate and a good friend, but you all can be the judge of that. My record of 0-3 (all to Finley) is why I am a perfect candidate for Redemption. I think about beating him every single time I am pushing myself to do one more rep, one more minute on the treadmill, or hit one more ball at the range.

For those who don't know right before the selection I lost my girlfriend of six years. She broke up with my suddenly, and it has been a very trying time for me. The selection for Redemption couldn't have happened at any better junction, and I am using the whole thing as fuel to making myself better. Better physically, better golf game, and a better person. I am going to come into the event in December in the best physical shape I have been in for years, and I will be mentally strong.

I am ready to get this whole forum involved in this, and if anyone wants to know more I am a very open book. I look forward to meeting those of you I haven't yet, and look forward to bringing this belt back to THP!

I liked the video! Very nice to meet you and can't wait to meet you in person. I think we will get along just fine :)

I can't wait man. I feel like this team is going to be fun loving and confident. It should be a blast!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

About me. My name is Mike Papania and I'm 35 years old and live in a small Ohio town. A suberb of Kent, also 15 minutes away from Akron and 35 minutes south of Cleveland. I grew up in a rural area close to Alliance, Ohio (think Mount Union College). I am the oldest of 4 siblings, two brothers and a sister. The youngest brother and sister are twins, 5 years younger than me, so we are all pretty close in age, and pretty close as a family. My dad's father was also from Sicily (pretty cool that Phil's roots are there too), someday I hope to travel there and meet some of our relatives still living there.

I've worked in the IT and education industry for the past 11 years, mostly in desktop and application support as a manager. I've moved to project management the past few years, and really enjoy it. I have been married for 5 years, but had been dating my wife 3 years before we were married. We have two amazing sons, ages 3.5 and 16 months old. My family is my world, and I find time to golf around it. For me that means getting out on the weekend's, usually the first tee time to be back in time for "breakfast" with the family. I can't wait to someday hopefully share some golftime on the course with my sons. Right now, I golf a lot with my dad (and sometimes brother) on the weekends, which is also something I appreciate much more now that I have sons of my own.

Growing up I played almost every sport imaginable, settling on soccer in high school, which I played year round. I almost ended up playing in college, but in the end decided I didn't have the time commitment to put into it. I would swing my dad's golf clubs around the yard as a kid, just hitting pitching wedges from our yard to the neighbors and back. I would golf a little in high school, but really didn't get back into it until about 4 years ago, when I joined a work league. I think I stumbled across THP around 2013, looking for some reviews on wedges. I ended up joining, but rarely posted, and didn't really browse much for a time. I started posting again around Thanksgiving last year, I think the Thanksgiving meal thread was what brought pulled me in, lol. Since, I've attended 1 THP event this year (Old Stonewall), and it was really impressive to see how easy and natural it was to meet and talk with guys you've only met on a web forum. I truely am amazed every time I read the random acts of kindness thread, or other various threads and see how close everyone is and the friendships that have been formed through THP. I really can not wait to meet my teammates in person, and am really enjoying the leadup to Grandaddy of em all!

Well, that's my bio, thanks for taking the time to read it.

Love it! Nice to meet you Mike and I am looking forward to shaking your hand in person in San Diego!

I like it guys!

I'm Matt Harvey, and no not the one about to pitch in the World Series. My bankroll is much smaller than his. I'm 28 years old, originally from Islip, NY, which is on Long Island. Middle child of 3 boys, now men, with 4 years separating me each of my brothers. Grew up playing just about every sport but never really got exposed to golfing on the regular. Went on to College in Upstate NY where I met my wife, graduated with a degree in Water Resources, and played D3 Lacrosse. This January will mark 2 years married and 10 years together. After bouncing around a bit post college trying to use our actual degrees for jobs we both landed Civil Service jobs right where she grew up. She works for DSS for Chemung County, while I work the City of Elmira Fire Department.

My wifes father is definitely the biggest influence on me having started to play golf. Couple that with the fact that if I am doing anything I research, research, and research again. Which of course is how I stumbled upon THP, Googling stuff all the time the most reliable information I ever came across was from THP. Long time reader, scattered poster but have added when I have felt I could. This year I have been more involved than I was before, and I finally jumped on the Event train and had a blast meeting people in Pittsburgh. Not gonna lie, I made the trip with my wife because we were both unsure of the whole spectrum of the whole thing. Well we learned pretty quickly how awesome everyone is,we both walked away amazed that you can take 60 strangers and everyone be nice, genuine people and no one seems to be a Richard! I obviously cant feel any luckier considering that the #Grandaddy is only my second event but I definitely won't be my last!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Great intro Matt, personally I was worried I was going to be the youngest person in the #granddaddy of em all, because I am one of the youngest at work. Youngest in my archery crowd etc...

I am also 28 years young and it seems like we have a young team ready to take the belt back!

Can't wait to shake your hand and hit the sticks with you! Hold on we are in for a ride for sure!

Ok THP. We're just over 6 weeks away from boarding our flights to embark on the greatest journeys of our lives. SIX FREAKING WEEKS!. Us 12 THPers have a chance and opportunity most can only dream of. In fact, I am dreaming about how this is going to be every night. There so much i want to discuss in here, so many thoughts running through my head.... but i dont think it would do this thread, this event and our team any good to clog this thread with banter. What i think our team needs is to know a little something more about each one of the members. Im lucky enough to have met some of my team through THP events and gatherings, but there is a decent number of my teammates i know very little about and they know very little about me. Honestly, how we play as a team is one thing, and thats going to happen no matter what. But how our team enjoys themselves and the bond we create and memories that stick with us will all be improved if we know more about eachother. So I am going to post some things about myself that you may not know, some not golf related, but all related to how i got here in my own journey to Redemption. I will be open to questions from my teammates and also the rest of the THP community. I know we are going to have the backing of the greatest golf forum out there, but that backing could be larger if they know who is actually out there playing for them.

My name is Phil Vedda. I am 28 yeard old and was born and raised just 20 minutes west of Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland is a city that takes a lot of crap, and rightfully so, but the people from Cleveland will tell you there isnt another city they would rather be from. I am a HUGE Cleveland sports fan and a lot of times that passion is a big part of me. Everything i do is at 110%. If my name is going to be on it, it has to be my best effort. Growing up in a blue collar home, i was taught very early that in life, nothing is given, everything is earned and i have taken that lesson in life and put it towards everything i do. I am the oldest child in the family and have a 26 year old sister and a 21 year old brother. My sister is the mother to a beautiful daughter, Antonia, who is my goddaughter. My brother is a wrestler at Cleveland State University and studying to be a criminal psychologist. My father is 55 year old and works in the printing industry and my mother is 53 years old who works for the local school system as a teachers aid during the day and owns her own dance studio where she works during the evenings. We have always been a close family family with a larger extended family. My dads grandparents are from Sicily and growing up i learned that there is nothing more important in life than family. In fact, my brother and i have the same tattoos that say "Family Forever" in Sicilian. I got married at 22, had my first born son at 23 and now am the father to two amazing little boys, Jaxon (5) and Jace (1). I started playing golf at 13 and took a love for it right away. My father is probably my biggest influence in the game. He always said a day on the golf course is better than a day at work, and he loved to work. So that told me i was lucky to be on a course enjoying my time with him.

I first found THP back in 2011 when i was looking for reviews on the R11 and Burner 2.0 and im so grateful i found this place. Ive met some of life's most amazing people and Im lucky to call them friends. Ive played golf in states i never thought i would go to, played courses i never thought i would step foot on and that will continue in 6 weeks. The grandaddy will be my 6th event this year, 8th total and that has allowed me to tee it up with some great people. People i still talk to almost daily. People that have met my wife and kids, been over to my house, exchanged baby gifts, everything. This has truly opened the doors to lifelong friendships and brotherhoods that i never knew were possible. What im hoping comes of this post is my teammates get to know a little something more about me and that helps lay the foundation for more great friendships and bonds that last a lifetime. I hope some, if not all, of you guys take the time to tell us a little something more about you. I know i would love to know more about the guys im sharing the greatest 4 days of my golfing life with.

Sorry if this got long winded. Sorry it was a lot to read. But i love this site, i love this community and i want our journey to be shared with everyone. Team Redemption isnt just us 12. Its everyone.

Phil I loved following along on the gauntlet and cannot wait to meet you in person! I think we will get along really well. Once again cannot wait to shake another THP members hand in December.

I can't wait man. I feel like this team is going to be fun loving and confident. It should be a blast!

Confident! Your the one that already guaranteed us the belt!

Confident! Your the one that already guaranteed us the belt!

There's no turning back now!

LOVE the direction this thread is headed!
So exited for you all!

Go win this thing!

LOVE the direction this thread is headed!
So exited for you all!

Go win this thing!

It's exciting for sure. I said it in my post but I'll say it again. Team Redemption is EVERYONE! You don't think guys like yourself of T2G or Cookie or Hawk or anyone who's ever played in this event or dreamed of playing in this event don't want redemption? Of course we all do. And we are the lucky 12 chosen to go win the belt and let Finley and Harry and the rest of the ZooCrew hear about it for 12 months.

Alright here goes nothing:

Many of you know of me, some of you don't, but for those of you who don't, my name is Taylor Ryan. Ya ya, I am the guy with three first names (Given name is John.) I have been called all three at many points in my life, and it probably won't ever stop. I am 26 years old as of this past Tuesday. I live in Kansas City Missouri, right near downtown. I moved to Kansas City when I turned 18 to purse a baseball scholarship at a Divison 2 school here. I played for about two years before I tore my left labrum (pitcher) and decided that I liked partying and hanging with my fraternity buddies more than 12 months of rehab. After I finished my undergrad I went right back and got my MBA In Healthcare Admin and that led me to my job at a big healthcare consulting company based here in Kansas City. I spend roughly 75% of my time traveling, which really wears on you, but I am not long for the traveling world and ultimately plan on moving back to Dallas where I grew up in about 6-9 months. Dallas is a big part of my life, I am the oldest of four kids and everyone in my immediate family calls the DFW Metroplex home but myself currently. I have a dog named Dallas who lives with my parents, and I am thrilled to get her back when I move home!

About my golf game... Well I got my first set of clubs the Christmas of 2009, so I haven't been playing very long. I figured if I could hit a 90 MPH fastball hitting a little ball that didn't move would be a cakewalk. I have struggled quite a bit, my lowest recorded handicap was a 7.8, but right now I am playing at around a 13. This past year has been rough with the weather and my schedule, and I never really felt like I got into a really good rhythm with my game. My tee game is the weakest part of my game right now. I am fairly long off the tee, but my control has proven to be quite an issue this year. I am a pretty good iron striker, and my putting is pretty decent, but I lose most of my strokes off the tee and around the green.

As for my competitive history, I was one lucky son of a gun getting to play in the OG #Grandaddy, so I have a little bit of an idea what we are all in for in a couple short months. I thrive on competition, but I like to keep things light hearted. I think of myself as a good teammate and a good friend, but you all can be the judge of that. My record of 0-3 (all to Finley) is why I am a perfect candidate for Redemption. I think about beating him every single time I am pushing myself to do one more rep, one more minute on the treadmill, or hit one more ball at the range.

For those who don't know right before the selection I lost my girlfriend of six years. She broke up with my suddenly, and it has been a very trying time for me. The selection for Redemption couldn't have happened at any better junction, and I am using the whole thing as fuel to making myself better. Better physically, better golf game, and a better person. I am going to come into the event in December in the best physical shape I have been in for years, and I will be mentally strong.

I am ready to get this whole forum involved in this, and if anyone wants to know more I am a very open book. I look forward to meeting those of you I haven't yet, and look forward to bringing this belt back to THP!
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but that fact that we are both pretty much the same age and we both lost the person we thought we were going to spend our lives with is special to me. It could be coincidence but I feel like one of if not both of us have something to learn from each other through this process.

This whole event means so much to me. When I thought my life was down and I had no luck I get a text from Rob (CAA_Beat) telling me congrats and I was selected. I immediately thought everything happens for a reason and that good comes from every situation

It's exciting for sure. I said it in my post but I'll say it again. Team Redemption is EVERYONE! You don't think guys like yourself of T2G or Cookie or Hawk or anyone who's ever played in this event or dreamed of playing in this event don't want redemption? Of course we all do. And we are the lucky 12 chosen to go win the belt and let Finley and Harry and the rest of the ZooCrew hear about it for 12 months.

I know for a fact that there are MANY members of #TheGrandaddy alumni that are pumped up for you guys!

I want you all to show up and play your best!
I want you guys to win!

I love everything about this event!
I love meeting you guys!
I love the Effing Grandaddy of em all!

My passion for this event is complete, this event will stay with you all forever!
You guys may not realize how life changing this event is, embrace every aspect of it!

#TeamRedemption is killing it guys, I cant wait to be in California with this crew!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm Ryan Wittmann, you may remember me from such THP events as #OwnTheSecondShot with Adams, The2014 Morgan Cup, the 2015 #TheKing, and the 2015 Bridgestone Invitational in Kansas City. (If you didn't say that in Phil Hartman's voice, you did it wrong).

Anyway, I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, hence the name Nebgolfer, I'm 31, have 2 and 3/4 kids (3rd one due 1/1/16), and I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 10 years. I work at a regional bank, and primarily work with a bunch of data and am the resident Excel expert. I'm the youngest of 3 boys, so took my fair share of beatings growing up from my older brothers. I'm pretty introverted, so I often stay quiet and listen to other people talk, unless I've been drinking then you can't get me to shut up.

I learned the game of golf when I was young, but got a little more serious about it in college when I bought my first set of clubs off ebay. From there, I kept playing, bought newer sets, and sort of fumbled my way through the golf world until I made an amazing discovery that changed my life; a little place called THP.

I found THP just before the 2013 Morgan Cup because of an article about the Morgan Cup that IceyShanks' wife posted on facebook. I knew Icey growing up, but had lost touch with him after high school, but randomly was facebook friends with his wife and read the article with quite a bit of interest, especially when I learned how awesome it was. I joined THP thinking how awesome it would be to be in the Morgan Cup, and then I was lucky enough to get picked for the 2014 event.

My first event was the Adams event where I met a bunch of people, but was pretty intimidated and stayed in my shell and didn't really dive in then, which is something I really regret, especially with how many awesome people were there that I didn't really even talk to. One of my most vivid memories of the event was getting to sit with JB, Morgan, and MikeG at dinner, and I remember how amazing the conversation was with people that I barely knew; one of my first experiences with how awesome the people in this community are.

When I found out that I'd played my way into the Grandaddy, I was completely stunned. Never in my life did I think I'd experience something so amazing, but to have been selected as MVP was even more of a surprise. I've struggled with self-confidence, and didn't know if I was good enough to represent THP in the Grandaddy, and felt a ton of pressure to try and prove that it wasn't a fluke that I was named MVP. Since then, I've had some great support from people and worked really hard to try and better myself to represent the community, but I no longer feel like I have to prove myself or justify my spot on the team. I'm working hard to make sure that when the event is over, I'll have no ragrets, not even 1 letter!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Ryan Wittmann, you may remember me from such THP events as #OwnTheSecondShot with Adams, The2014 Morgan Cup, the 2015 #TheKing, and the 2015 Bridgestone Invitational in Kansas City. (If you didn't say that in Phil Hartman's voice, you did it wrong).

Anyway, I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, hence the name Nebgolfer, I'm 32, have 2 and 3/4 kids (3rd one due 1/1/16), and I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 10 years. I work at a regional bank, and primarily work with a bunch of data and am the resident Excel expert. I'm the youngest of 3 boys, so took my fair share of beatings growing up from my older brothers. I'm pretty introverted, so I often stay quiet and listen to other people talk, unless I've been drinking then you can't get me to shut up.

I learned the game of golf when I was young, but got a little more serious about it in college when I bought my first set of clubs off ebay. From there, I kept playing, bought newer sets, and sort of fumbled my way through the golf world until I made an amazing discovery that changed my life; a little place called THP.

I found THP just before the 2013 Morgan Cup because of an article about the Morgan Cup that IceyShanks' wife posted on facebook. I knew Icey growing up, but had lost touch with him after high school, but randomly was facebook friends with his wife and read the article with quite a bit of interest, especially when I learned how awesome it was. I joined THP thinking how awesome it would be to be in the Morgan Cup, and then I was lucky enough to get picked for the 2014 event.

My first event was the Adams event where I met a bunch of people, but was pretty intimidated and stayed in my shell and didn't really dive in then, which is something I really regret, especially with how many awesome people were there that I didn't really even talk to. One of my most vivid memories of the event was getting to sit with JB, Morgan, and MikeG at dinner, and I remember how amazing the conversation was with people that I barely knew; one of my first experiences with how awesome the people in this community are.

When I found out that I'd played my way into the Grandaddy, I was completely stunned. Never in my life did I think I'd experience something so amazing, but to have been selected as MVP was even more of a surprise. I've struggled with self-confidence, and didn't know if I was good enough to represent THP in the Grandaddy, and felt a ton of pressure to try and prove that it wasn't a fluke that I was named MVP. Since then, I've had some great support from people and worked really hard to try and better myself to represent the community, but I no longer feel like I have to prove myself or justify my spot on the team. I'm working hard to make sure that when the event is over, I'll have no ragrets, not even 1 letter!
This is also the guy that paid it forward and paid for my Albatross Club membership this year. Thank you again. I remember saying I would love to meet you and thank you in person and it is incredible that it will happen at the #Grandaddy

If I wasn't jealous of you all before today, I am now. Seeing the passion for the Grandaddy from the guys at Callaway in person made me appreciate the magnitude of the event even more today.

If I wasn't jealous of you all before today, I am now. Seeing the passion for the Grandaddy from the guys at Callaway in person made me appreciate the magnitude of the event even more today.

I think you should further explain this post :)

I think you should further explain this post :)

I won't name names, but one person in the Zoo Crew specifically exclaimed, "I need to be at the Hideway!"

This. Makes. Me. Smile.

I won't name names, but one person in the Zoo Crew specifically exclaimed, "I need to be at the Hideway!"

You left out a "Yo" so that eliminates AJ

Judging by the use of exclamation point, I'd have to say AJ.

I've enjoyed reading the bio's and getting to know some of you guys. Just a question though, does any of the team remember the Y2k scare or are you all too young for that. Youth will bring the belt to THP.

And Texashacker, don't let the chick come back when she sees how great you look with the belt slung across your shoulder.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Back