The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Great stuff here guys! I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of you, and plan to write my own little nugget when I get off of work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Great idea Phil.

Love the bios so far. This is very cool of you guys to do.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Dude, I did not realize you were from Havelock. I live in Wilmington and my parents live in Greenville. I know there isn't much time before the event, but if you want to try to meet up to play, or if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
November is pretty clear for me on the weekends for the most part. October is my busiest month. Would love to meet up and play a round. Maybe we can get Ron and a few other guys around the area

About me. My name is Mike Papania and I'm 35 years old and live in a small Ohio town. A suberb of Kent, also 15 minutes away from Akron and 35 minutes south of Cleveland. I grew up in a rural area close to Alliance, Ohio (think Mount Union College). I am the oldest of 4 siblings, two brothers and a sister. The youngest brother and sister are twins, 5 years younger than me, so we are all pretty close in age, and pretty close as a family. My dad's father was also from Sicily (pretty cool that Phil's roots are there too), someday I hope to travel there and meet some of our relatives still living there.

I've worked in the IT and education industry for the past 11 years, mostly in desktop and application support as a manager. I've moved to project management the past few years, and really enjoy it. I have been married for 5 years, but had been dating my wife 3 years before we were married. We have two amazing sons, ages 3.5 and 16 months old. My family is my world, and I find time to golf around it. For me that means getting out on the weekend's, usually the first tee time to be back in time for "breakfast" with the family. I can't wait to someday hopefully share some golftime on the course with my sons. Right now, I golf a lot with my dad (and sometimes brother) on the weekends, which is also something I appreciate much more now that I have sons of my own.

Growing up I played almost every sport imaginable, settling on soccer in high school, which I played year round. I almost ended up playing in college, but in the end decided I didn't have the time commitment to put into it. I would swing my dad's golf clubs around the yard as a kid, just hitting pitching wedges from our yard to the neighbors and back. I would golf a little in high school, but really didn't get back into it until about 4 years ago, when I joined a work league. I think I stumbled across THP around 2013, looking for some reviews on wedges. I ended up joining, but rarely posted, and didn't really browse much for a time. I started posting again around Thanksgiving last year, I think the Thanksgiving meal thread was what brought pulled me in, lol. Since, I've attended 1 THP event this year (Old Stonewall), and it was really impressive to see how easy and natural it was to meet and talk with guys you've only met on a web forum. I truely am amazed every time I read the random acts of kindness thread, or other various threads and see how close everyone is and the friendships that have been formed through THP. I really can not wait to meet my teammates in person, and am really enjoying the leadup to Grandaddy of em all!

Well, that's my bio, thanks for taking the time to read it.

I freaking love reading these. I really cannot put into words how much I love this idea!

I'm going to knock mine out tonight after I get home from holding a golf-parent meeting.

Also, threesome tee-time booked at Peoria Ridge for 8:40, will be 53/ea guys.

Ok THP. We're just over 6 weeks away from boarding our flights to embark on the greatest journeys of our lives. SIX FREAKING WEEKS!. Us 12 THPers have a chance and opportunity most can only dream of. In fact, I am dreaming about how this is going to be every night. There so much i want to discuss in here, so many thoughts running through my head.... but i dont think it would do this thread, this event and our team any good to clog this thread with banter. What i think our team needs is to know a little something more about each one of the members. Im lucky enough to have met some of my team through THP events and gatherings, but there is a decent number of my teammates i know very little about and they know very little about me. Honestly, how we play as a team is one thing, and thats going to happen no matter what. But how our team enjoys themselves and the bond we create and memories that stick with us will all be improved if we know more about eachother. So I am going to post some things about myself that you may not know, some not golf related, but all related to how i got here in my own journey to Redemption. I will be open to questions from my teammates and also the rest of the THP community. I know we are going to have the backing of the greatest golf forum out there, but that backing could be larger if they know who is actually out there playing for them.

My name is Phil Vedda. I am 28 yeard old and was born and raised just 20 minutes west of Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland is a city that takes a lot of crap, and rightfully so, but the people from Cleveland will tell you there isnt another city they would rather be from. I am a HUGE Cleveland sports fan and a lot of times that passion is a big part of me. Everything i do is at 110%. If my name is going to be on it, it has to be my best effort. Growing up in a blue collar home, i was taught very early that in life, nothing is given, everything is earned and i have taken that lesson in life and put it towards everything i do. I am the oldest child in the family and have a 26 year old sister and a 21 year old brother. My sister is the mother to a beautiful daughter, Antonia, who is my goddaughter. My brother is a wrestler at Cleveland State University and studying to be a criminal psychologist. My father is 55 year old and works in the printing industry and my mother is 53 years old who works for the local school system as a teachers aid during the day and owns her own dance studio where she works during the evenings. We have always been a close family family with a larger extended family. My dads grandparents are from Sicily and growing up i learned that there is nothing more important in life than family. In fact, my brother and i have the same tattoos that say "Family Forever" in Sicilian. I got married at 22, had my first born son at 23 and now am the father to two amazing little boys, Jaxon (5) and Jace (1). I started playing golf at 13 and took a love for it right away. My father is probably my biggest influence in the game. He always said a day on the golf course is better than a day at work, and he loved to work. So that told me i was lucky to be on a course enjoying my time with him.

I first found THP back in 2011 when i was looking for reviews on the R11 and Burner 2.0 and im so grateful i found this place. Ive met some of life's most amazing people and Im lucky to call them friends. Ive played golf in states i never thought i would go to, played courses i never thought i would step foot on and that will continue in 6 weeks. The grandaddy will be my 6th event this year, 8th total and that has allowed me to tee it up with some great people. People i still talk to almost daily. People that have met my wife and kids, been over to my house, exchanged baby gifts, everything. This has truly opened the doors to lifelong friendships and brotherhoods that i never knew were possible. What im hoping comes of this post is my teammates get to know a little something more about me and that helps lay the foundation for more great friendships and bonds that last a lifetime. I hope some, if not all, of you guys take the time to tell us a little something more about you. I know i would love to know more about the guys im sharing the greatest 4 days of my golfing life with.

Sorry if this got long winded. Sorry it was a lot to read. But i love this site, i love this community and i want our journey to be shared with everyone. Team Redemption isnt just us 12. Its everyone.

welcome to THP!

:alien:

November is pretty clear for me on the weekends for the most part. October is my busiest month. Would love to meet up and play a round. Maybe we can get Ron and a few other guys around the area

That would be awesome. I guess Ron can play too. The weekend of the 7th or 8th would probably be best for me, but we can take it to PM so we don't get the thread too far off track.

I freaking love reading these. I really cannot put into words how much I love this idea!

I'm going to knock mine out tonight after I get home from holding a golf-parent meeting.

Also, threesome tee-time booked at Peoria Ridge for 8:40, will be 53/ea guys.

We're already seeing new faces in this thread. Posting and just browsing both. I love it

Great stuff here guys! I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of you, and plan to write my own little nugget when I get off of work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looking forward to reading yours

Enjoyed reading the bios posted so far. Great idea Phil.

I'm liking the moxie of TeamRedemption more and more each day.

Yep mine will be coming tonight. Long day of travel and have to hit the gym here but it is coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoyed reading the bios posted so far. Great idea Phil.

I'm liking the moxie of TeamRedemption more and more each day.
Hopefully I can gain more Moxie from you and Dean on Saturday!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Most here know me, and MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANY have met me at events over the years, but my name is James Miles. I sit here typing this at the ripe old age of 31 and grew up here in rural Oklahoma, where I reside to this day. Married to the most perfect woman in the whole wide world, known on THP as "The Doc", who was also my HS sweetheart. Its been I believe 14 years that we have been together now and we have been married for 7.5. I'm a HS educator and coach (football for YEARS, now just getting back in with HS boys golf) and my wife is as the nickname would indicate a doctor finishing up the last year of her residency in OB/GYN (hence Finley's bad joke on video a while back). We have a beautiful little girl Charlotte who is my everything, and the reason that I am here this year instead of last.

I have actually only been playing golf more than once a year for the past 6 years, and the game has come a long way since then. I actually started as an outlet from coaching HS football where I could go out and get away from the drama and stress which that job created both on me and my family. When I first started, I wanted a good, affordable, set of clubs and found THP when searching reviews on the a square driver of all things (which I still have out in the garage) but even then it wasn't until almost a year later where I really started to POST. From there, I realized what this amazing place was, and dove head first into it, traveling to an event with a total stranger and his kids who would become one of my best friends on this planet (#Cookie) in Austin, TX where I got to play with this mythical JB guy in my first THP round ever, who turned out to be an amazing and genuinely caring guy. Got lucky enough to do a couple forum testings, was pretty good at it and brought a different type of detail to the process (being an OCD teacher helped) and in 2012 got asked to write an anonymous review on the Odyssey Metal-X #6 putter (still on the homepage BTW) as a trial to possible becoming a staff member, and the rest there is history.

This place has afforded me opportunities that most around me really don't understand. I've been to OEM's, I've been to the PGA Show, I've hung out with the #ZooCrew, I've interviewed PGA Tour players, hell I've played on Ben Hogan's home course. This though, this is the pinnacle for me. This event when first introduced 2 years ago instantly hit me like a ton of bricks as being truly THE best amateur golf event ever created. Average golfers, from an amazing community, taken to CA by one of the BIGGEST golf companies in the world, and treated like freaking royalty. People, food, swag, CLUBS, fitting, PEOPLE, and a course that will likely be the best which any who are picked ever get to play. I wanted in, more than anything, and low and behold after the conclusion of first #Grandaddy I get a text from Morgan out of the blue to "GET ON THE FORUM NOW AND PRESS RECORD", to which I see a video announcing me the captain of #TheDos. THP makes dreams come true, and that was a major one for me, alas, a little bundle of joy on the way with a due date in December forced me into the hardest decision of my life, walking away from this event. My brother #Cookie took the reigns and did wonderfully, I watched every second, but I also hurt watching it all unfold. Then soon after, another video from Harry himself saying that I would be getting my shot again, and from there I vowed not only to give it my all for my team, but for THP.

This event is bigger than words. Its not because of one thing or the other, its because of everything. With this though, I will admit that watching the way that I have the last couple of years, I knew I wanted to do things differently for the third go-around. I wanted there to be accountability not just to teammates, but to the forum. INCLUSION and not EXCLUSION. That's why Philly putting the post he did earlier makes me smile more than he will ever know, it and every post after by these guys is the perfect example of that very principle, inclusion. We want you to be a part from start, to finish, and then AFTER the finish too. I do believe we can do better at taking conversations TO the forum, the reality is many won't see this thread (and for sure not in the same light that we do) and I also believe that we can take to social media more, after all, its not like we are scare of the #ZooCrew. There are so many facets to this great event, and I want #TeamRedemption to be an open book that also strives to GIVE BACK fromt his opportunity.

Phil nailed it with this, "Team Redemption isn't just us 12. Its everyone". I believe that in my heart, and its for THAT reason I want to do everything I can possibly do from start to infinity to make sure this event lives on, and for other THP'ers get this incredible opportunity, because words and pictures will never ever ever do this ride justice.

Last edited:
Most here know me, and MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANY have met me at events over the years, but my name is James Miles. I sit here typing this at the ripe old age of 31 and grew up here in rural Oklahoma, where I reside to this day. Married to the most perfect woman in the whole wide world, known on THP as "The Doc", who was also my HS sweetheart. Its been I believe 14 years that we have been together now and we have been married for 7.5. I'm a HS educator and coach (football for YEARS, now just getting back in with HS boys golf) and my wife is as the nickname would indicate a doctor finishing up the last year of her residency in OB/GYN (hence Finley's bad joke on video a while back). We have a beautiful little girl Charlotte who is my everything, and the reason that I am here this year instead of last.

I have actually only been playing golf more than once a year for the past 6 years, and the game has come a long way since then. I actually started as an outlet from coaching HS football where I could go out and get away from the drama and stress which that job created both on me and my family. When I first started, I wanted a good, affordable, set of clubs and found THP when searching reviews on the a square driver of all things (which I still have out in the garage) but even then it wasn't until almost a year later where I really started to POST. From there, I realized what this amazing place was, and dove head first into it, traveling to an event with a total stranger and his kids who would become one of my best friends on this planet (#Cookie) in Austin, TX where I got to play with this mythical JB guy in my first THP round ever, who turned out to be an amazing and genuinely caring guy. Got lucky enough to do a couple forum testings, was pretty good at it and brought a different type of detail to the process (being an OCD teacher helped) and in 2012 got asked to write an anonymous review on the Odyssey Metal-X #6 putter (still on the homepage BTW) as a trial to possible becoming a staff member, and the rest there is history.

This place has afforded me opportunities that most around me really don't understand. I've been to OEM's, I've been to the PGA Show, I've hung out with the #ZooCrew, I've interviewed PGA Tour players, hell I've played on Ben Hogan's home course. This though, this is the pinnacle for me. This event when first introduced 2 years ago instantly hit me like a ton of bricks as being truly THE best amateur golf event ever created. Average golfers, from an amazing community, taken to CA by one of the BIGGEST golf companies in the world, and treated like freaking royalty. People, food, swag, CLUBS, fitting, PEOPLE, and a course that will likely be the best which any who are picked ever get to play. I wanted in, more than anything, and low and behold after the conclusion of first #Grandaddy I get a text from Morgan out of the blue to "GET ON THE FORUM NOW AND PRESS RECORD", to which I see a video announcing me the captain of #TheDos. THP makes dreams come true, and that was a major one for me, alas, a little bundle of joy on the way with a due date in December forced me into the hardest decision of my life, walking away from this event. My brother #Cookie took the reigns and did wonderfully, I watched every second, but I also hurt watching it all unfold. Then soon after, another video from Harry himself saying that I would be getting my shot again, and from there I vowed not only to give it my all for my team, but for THP.

This event is bigger than words. Its not because of one thing or the other, its because of everything. With this though, I will admit that watching the way that I have the last couple of years, I knew I wanted to do things differently for the third go-around. I wanted there to be accountability not just to teammates, but to the forum. INCLUSION and not EXCLUSION. That's why Philly putting the post he did earlier makes me smile more than he will ever know, it and every post after by these guys is the perfect example of that very principle, inclusion. We want you to be a part from start, to finish, and then AFTER the finish too. I do believe we can do better at taking conversations TO the forum, the reality is many won't see this thread (and for sure not in the same light that we do) and I also believe that we can take to social media more, after all, its not like we are scare of the #ZooCrew. There are so many facets to this great event, and I want #TeamRedemption to be an open book that also strives to GIVE BACK fromt his opportunity.

Phil nailed it with this, "Team Redemption isn't just us 12. Its everyone". I believe that in my heart, and its for THAT reason I want to do everything I can possibly do from start to infinity to make sure this event lives on, and other THP'ers get this incredible opportunity, because words and pictures will never ever ever do this ride justice.
Pretty incredible post right here. Ill be following every bit of this event.

Just landed, got off the jet and picked up my dog from the kennel. Catching up but I am liking what I am reading so far! I'll post a little bit more tonight!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot this on the way to the range today. I look forward to giving a little more in depth post, as my teammates have been rocking the hell out of this!

I was a little nervous, and probably came across as a dork... but that's pretty much who I am, why not embrace it?

Rallo with the guarantee! Love it dude. And it's pretty awesome how close you are to the stadium and the home course

Rallo with the guarantee! Love it dude. And it's pretty awesome how close you are to the stadium and the home course

you should come down and tailgate, Iowa City on gameday is something everyone needs to experience. Make the trip and i'll make sure it's a good time.

you should come down and tailgate, Iowa City on gameday is something everyone needs to experience. Make the trip and i'll make sure it's a good time.

We could meet half way for the Buckeyes vs Hawkeyes B1G Championship haha

Good to have another Cubs fan on the team

Shot this on the way to the range today. I look forward to giving a little more in depth post, as my teammates have been rocking the hell out of this!

I was a little nervous, and probably came across as a dork... but that's pretty much who I am, why not embrace it?

Good video! Close to work and close to the course.

Good to have another Cubs fan on the team

And a heart Doctor lol once you guys spend some time with the Zoo Crew your gonna feel like your having chest pains from all the laughing

Phil nailed it with this, "Team Redemption isn't just us 12. Its everyone". I believe that in my heart, and its for THAT reason I want to do everything I can possibly do from start to infinity to make sure this event lives on, and for other THP'ers get this incredible opportunity, because words and pictures will never ever ever do this ride justice.

Awesome post Jman. Had to honestly hold back a tear though!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I'm loving the posts and learning about my teammates.

I will say this & I can't emphasize enough how important it is to me. As much as this event is about us 12, it's about the THP community as whole even more. Without THP and the support this community pours into this event it would not be a reality.

Right now I challenge each of my teammates to represent themselves and this community In the best light possible so this event lives on and others get to experience this ride.

I'm grinding and preparing for December, but I'm also laying the foundation for future THP Grandaddy teams. I hope each of my teammates are preparing the same

Last edited:
And a heart Doctor lol once you guys spend some time with the Zoo Crew your gonna feel like your having chest pains from all the laughing
I can't wait to hang out with the Zoo Crew. Hear so much good about them and ready to meet them

Back