The 2018 Ryder Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited to see new blood pumped into the Ryder Cup team. I agree Xander over Phil would have been exciting to watch. I'm actually looking forward to this Ryder Cup because of the lineup on Team USA more than recent years to be honest

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Phil over Xander is a travesty imo.

Unless they do a Tiger Phil fourball match on Saturday. That I can get down with. Hopefully there is a decent lead at that point.

PS I'm not counting out the EU team for this. Even though the US team is strong, I think it will be a battle.

Unless they do a Tiger Phil fourball match on Saturday. That I can get down with. Hopefully there is a decent lead at that point.

PS I'm not counting out the EU team for this. Even though the US team is strong, I think it will be a battle.

i have to think there's a pretty big chip on their shoulder from the way some of our fans treated them last time around

i have to think there's a pretty big chip on their shoulder from the way some of our fans treated them last time around

What about the chip on team USA's shoulder for the way Rory bounced around pounding his chest and putting his hands up to his ears egging the US crowds on? t*t for tat if you ask me. It's the effin Ryder Cup....deal with it! The Euro fans are always and will always be obnoxious and boisterous toward the US squad so bring it on! I think it's what makes the Ryder Cup so awesome!

Side note- when we played Whistling Straits last week there was a big trailer setup with a 2020 Ryder Cup logo on the outside, like a make-shift HQ for the upcoming event there. The caddies said that it's been up for a year and people come and go daily....wonder what in the world they do there a full 3 years ahead of the event on a daily basis? Crazy!

What about the chip on team USA's shoulder for the way Rory bounced around pounding his chest and putting his hands up to his ears egging the US crowds on? t*t for tat if you ask me. It's the effin Ryder Cup....deal with it! The Euro fans are always and will always be obnoxious and boisterous toward the US squad so bring it on! I think it's what makes the Ryder Cup so awesome!

Side note- when we played Whistling Straits last week there was a big trailer setup with a 2020 Ryder Cup logo on the outside, like a make-shift HQ for the upcoming event there. The caddies said that it's been up for a year and people come and go daily....wonder what in the world they do there a full 3 years ahead of the event on a daily basis? Crazy!

i got the distinct impression that our fans 'started it.' i don't think any of those shenanigans would have gone on if it weren't for the loud, rude and drunk usa fans.

do the euro fans act that way too? maybe, i don't know. but the fans became a big part of the story line last time, and i'm not sure i like that. i love the competition, but not at the expense of decorum and sportsmanship.

i got the distinct impression that our fans 'started it.' i don't think any of those shenanigans would have gone on if it weren't for the loud, rude and drunk usa fans.

do the euro fans act that way too? maybe, i don't know. but the fans became a big part of the story line last time, and i'm not sure i like that. i love the competition, but not at the expense of decorum and sportsmanship.

I think the main difference is USA Fans are drunk & rude & the EU are more colorful with their retorts. Each fits for their respective fans. As long as fans don't cross the line, have at it. If they do, chuck them out of the event or charge them with disorderly conduct if they are drunk. Actions have consequences even if you have a ticket to be there.

The 2018 Ryder Cup Thread

I’d put Europe as the marginal favourites personally as the home team. The US has the better team on paper every year. Means nothing. Bigger tour, bigger exposure, doesn’t necessarily translate to better players as has been proved time and time again over the last 30 years. I believe the teams are so closely matched these days that the home team have to be favourites.

I think the main difference is USA Fans are drunk & rude & the EU are more colorful with their retorts.

I went to the Ryder Cup in 2010 at the Celtic Manor. I was lucky enough to get on the 1st tee grandstand. The chants that were being chucked out were hilarious. The crowd were ripping the piss out the Americans, but I a good natured way. The American team were laughing along with most of it. I’ve read reports from US Ryder Cup players that state the chants in Europe are pretty funny, but generally good natured.

#FiberLaunch

Oddsmakers have the US as the favorites

Pay out for a tie is pretty decent. Might put a small amount on it.

Does course knowledge traditionally play as a factor in the Ryder Cup? Only American team member there was Justin Thomas who played well, but Noren (win), Sergio, Poulter, Hatton, Rahm all got some good experience on the course. On the flip side, Fleetwood and Olesen may have scar tissue built up.

Does course knowledge traditionally play as a factor in the Ryder Cup? Only American team member there was Justin Thomas who played well, but Noren (win), Sergio, Poulter, Hatton, Rahm all got some good experience on the course. On the flip side, Fleetwood and Olesen may have scar tissue built up.

Didn't he win there in 2017?

Didn't he win there in 2017?

I was going off this year's result; my bad. You're right he did. Weird he was this much worse in 2018 after the win, in an otherwise stellar year

I was going off this year's result; my bad. You're right he did. Weird he was this much worse in 2018 after the win, in an otherwise stellar year

In all fairness, out of 6 starts there he's missed 5 cuts and has one win......like, what?

I really think Keegan Bradley was an opportunity missed, and kind of makes me wonder why on earth they made this whole delayed 4th pick system. He won in a playoff against the new world #1 - a European. He was paired with Fleetwood - a European and beat him handily. He has experience and success, and - get this - a win.

Oh well. Too late now.

The Euro's always try to make themselves the underdog, they seem to play well with that mentality. I can't wait to watch!

In all fairness, out of 6 starts there he's missed 5 cuts and has one win......like, what?

craziness... I liked what I saw of the course, and there seemed to be some risk/reward holes with real risk in there. Wonder if more Americans should have made the trip or if it really doesn't make much of a difference. Seemed like a more than a few Europeans thought it was worth their while.

I really think Keegan Bradley was an opportunity missed, and kind of makes me wonder why on earth they made this whole delayed 4th pick system. He won in a playoff against the new world #1 - a European. He was paired with Fleetwood - a European and beat him handily. He has experience and success, and - get this - a win.

Oh well. Too late now.

The Euro's always try to make themselves the underdog, they seem to play well with that mentality. I can't wait to watch!

i'd like to see head-to-head stats of keegan vs finau. because this feels like a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately hot take.

i'd like to see head-to-head stats of keegan vs finau. because this feels like a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately hot take.

It is a hot take, but I kind of think that’s what that pick was supposed to be.

It is a hot take, but I kind of think that’s what that pick was supposed to be.

i feel like it's just a little bit extra time to let someone impress. granted, i hear what you're saying. what's more impressive than a win, and against the #1 player in the world no less? if xander and finau played like dog crap, i could definitely see keegan getting the nod. but both played really well, so it came down to each guy's full body of work this season and finau is the better choice.

Oh well. Too late now.

Keegan went into 18 with the lead and dealt with the pressure by having a bad drive, a bad approach and a bad chip....then the tournament got handed to him with rose playing poorly in the playoff too.

Keegan was also in the last group of the Northern Trust with dechambeau and shot a 78 or something.

Not exactly clutch under the pressure.

Plus, his putting has been suspect all year. I think I saw some stats that said he's like 184th SG putting or something

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I love statistical quirks like that - Nick Faldo only got 3 finishes inside the top 10 at Augusta, and they were all wins.

So - based on an offhand comment I made in my Ryder tracking thread, let's hear some of your potentially notable pairings or singles matches from the teams, and why they're notable:-
eg.
Angriest Pairing: Hatton & Rahm

The right thing to so is see Xander and Finau are better options for the team than he is and remove himself. Be an assistant captain and still be part of the team that way.

Not sure why it's the right thing to do. Phil earned his spot by winning a WGC. That's how it goes. There are plenty of guys on this team that aren't in their peak form at this exact moment (Speith and Bubba for example) but the spots were earned.

Now I saw on Twitter that guys <28 have a winning record, 28-36 has been a push and >36 have a big losing record in the Ryder Cup the last few series of the event. That could play a part, but I'm all for Phil being on this team. Finau is the one who should stay home for X.

Not sure why it's the right thing to do. Phil earned his spot by winning a WGC. That's how it goes. There are plenty of guys on this team that aren't in their peak form at this exact moment (Speith and Bubba for example) but the spots were earned.

Now I saw on Twitter that guys <28 have a winning record, 28-36 has been a push and >36 have a big losing record in the Ryder Cup the last few series of the event. That could play a part, but I'm all for Phil being on this team. Finau is the one who should stay home for X.

Phil was hot earlier in the year and has sputtered down the stretch. Where Finau and Xander have been red hot and better positioned to help this team. I have also said if you told me Tiger had to go i will be ok with that, but he's been playing better than Phil has as of late.

Phil won the WGC in March, thats 5 months ago. Since then he's finished:
T17, T24, T36, T5, Cut, T13, T12, T48, T65, T24, T24, Cut, T15, T12, T58

Conversely Finau has finished with 11 Top 10's as opposed to Phil's 6. Xander has the same amount of Top 10's as Phil, but has two 2nd and two 3rd place finishes as opposed to Phil only having one of each. I am not discounting Phil's win, but it was early in the season and not late. Finau and Xander are the future, they need to be playing members of the 2018 USA RC and Phil should be a Vice Captain. Phil was at the center of all of the shake up to make sure the USA fields the best, most competitive team each time out & ironically he is at the center of not letting this team field the best team possible given current players and form.

I feel like Hatton is going to be the next Ian Poulter. I know he gets angry, but I think dismissing him would be a mistake. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's just got that look about him.

Possible pairings? Send Speith and Bradley out first. They could kill any European momentum behind them with some quality slow play.

I consider the top 8 to have "earned their spots".
Regarding Mickelson, while he was up there in points as well, due to his behavior at the US Open, were I Captain I would not have selected him.
My picks would have been Tiger-DeChambeau-Finau-Shauffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back