The 2019 Morgan Cup Sponsored by Cobra Golf: Want To Be A Tour Player

Hole previews for 7-9 are below.

#7:

getImage.gif

DSC09983-1024x623.jpg

The big decision on this hole is whether you try to fly the bunker on the left or just take it out to the right of the bunker. For some reason or another, I couldn't get comfortable on this tee because I felt like driver brought going through the fairway into play. I think that I bailed out right one day and then didn't make the carry over the bunker on the other day because I didn't hit my hybrid all that well. Carry from the white tees over the bunker is 210 yards. I think that the green is set up so that front right is the lowest part and back left is the highest part.

#8:

getImage.gif

Haig #8 is the shortest par 3 on the entire course. Green is a bit narrow compared to the other greens on the course, so accuracy is at a premium on this hole.

getImage.gif

DSC09987-1024x594.jpg

On Calibogue #8, the first priority is getting over the water. Again, gauging the wind can be tough, I went over this green as well in my one play on it. However, the green is actually a bit bigger than it appears on the pictures. If you get on the green, take your 3 and run. I still can't believe gmiller598 made birdie last year on this hole.

#9:

getImage.gif

IMG_5277-1024x768.jpg

IMG_5277-1024x768.jpg

#9 is a par 4 from the Haig tees (look for the letter H on the diagram above) and a par 5 from the Calibogue tees. From the Haig tees, it's a fairly straight-forward par 4. From the Calibogue tees, it's a pretty good match play hole because it dares you to get aggressive with the tee shot if you want to get home in 2. However, you may think that you want to be as close to the left side of the fairway as possible. But that approach will bring in some over-hanging trees if you want to try to go for the green in 2 if your drive ends up on that side of the fairway. I'm not sure trying to take on any of the trees on the left is a smart play from the tee, but maybe someone can do some Google Earth research to figure out the carry over those trees. The green is another elevated green so add a few yards for that elevation. Honestly, if you play it as a 3 shot par 5, it's not that hard after the drive. Don't be intimidated by the carry over the marsh from the Calibogue tees, it's less than 150 yards.
Thanks again and well said Canadan and Tenputt. This community is top notch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So many treeeeees. Learning a bit of insider information is awesome and the photos to match make the wait manageable.

Excited to get on that first tee already.

I’m so proud of @tenputt. With only three months of hard work, he has promised to do no worse than an 8-putt on any hole. Now THAT is dedication and prep. I hope that’s factored into the odds.

I’m so proud of @tenputt. With only three months of hard work, he has promised to do no worse than an 8-putt on any hole. Now THAT is dedication and prep. I hope that’s factored into the odds.

What a funny teammate I have. It is interesting to me how when people see that username, they immediately think of ten putting one hole, when, in fact, it’s referencing my best 9 holes of putting. Granted, I only hit 1 green in that 9 holes, but I was getting up and down like a demon possessed. Glass half full, people! FTW.

What a funny teammate I have. It is interesting to me how when people see that username, they immediately think of ten putting one hole, when, in fact, it’s referencing my best 9 holes of putting. Granted, I only hit 1 green in that 9 holes, but I was getting up and down like a demon possessed. Glass half full, people! FTW.

Nah. That’s not it at all. You found poa greens and ten putt. You told me. (If I say it confidently enough I might convince a few people)

Don't let Gary get in your head, buddy. He's going to be delirious with work til mid march.

Nah. That’s not it at all. You found poa greens and ten putt. You told me. (If I say it confidently enough I might convince a few people)

He told me the same story - always struggles with put-ten

Don't let Gary get in your head, buddy. He's going to be delirious with work til mid march.

Rub it in, Dan. Rub it in. I already admitted my prep was behind where I wanted to be.

Rub it in, Dan. Rub it in. I already admitted my prep was behind where I wanted to be.

^^^ says the guy with a simulator at his disposal hahaha

Poor Team Paradise, reading this stuff like it's accurate.

We can kid about prep, our caps are real :angel:

I said prep. My swing from perfect lies is fine right now. I haven’t been in the gym in weeks and super speed has been missing for nearly two weeks. I had lofty goals but alas, life.

I said prep. My swing from perfect lies is fine right now. I haven’t been in the gym in weeks and super speed has been missing for nearly two weeks. I had lofty goals but alas, life.

Can’s skip leg day bro

We can kid about prep, our caps are real :angel:

I think we've all had our fun with handicaps this weekend. It's been hilarious, confusing, and gloriously awkward. Fortunately, both captains and THP have a strong handle on everything and when the dust settles, everything will be on the up and up.

As much as the handicap banter is fun, it rarely ends well (speaking from experience am I right @jdtox?!). We should probably push on and focus on what's going to be awesome.

I think we've all had our fun with handicaps this weekend. It's been hilarious, confusing, and gloriously awkward. Fortunately, both captains and THP have a strong handle on everything and when the dust settles, everything will be on the up and up.

As much as the handicap banter is fun, it rarely ends well (speaking from experience am I right @jdtox?!). We should probably push on and focus on what's going to be awesome.

Yes sir you are correct! I

Don't stand in front of BuckNasty when he's hitting unless you want a golf ball-sized hole in your abdomen. I thought that the ball was going to go through the screen at the sim today.

Don't stand in front of BuckNasty when he's hitting unless you want a golf ball-sized hole in your abdomen. I thought that the ball was going to go through the screen at the sim today.

That's what I like to hear!!!

Was he going full nasty or was that just 3/4 nasty?

Will 2nd that, and when his new driver comes I'm sure it will be even more of a missile!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#Arydophin, we really appreciate your insight into this magnificent track. Just curious for reference, did you shoot your index number or did you feel you could have?

Shot 83 on Haig, 80 on Calibogue. Those scores were with some gimmes and maybe a drop or 2 that the USGA wouldn't be fond of. It was best-ball among our team, so I hit driver a little more often than I would have if it was purely stroke play with my own card. I'm a 6 handicap right now, cap bounced between 5 and 7 throughout last year.

I wouldn't expect to go down there and shoot your handicap. You'll be getting your first look at the golf courses and I guarantee that the greens will be faster than what you are used to putting on at home.

Before I get to the previews of 10-12, a correction to my post for 7-9. I posted the same picture twice on 9, the view from behind the green. I have gone back and edited that post to show a view from the tee on the Calibogue setup so that the players can get an idea of the view across the marsh as well as the row of trees that guards the left side of the fairway. Away we go to the back nine...

#10:

getImage.gif

Calibogue tee view:

DSC09995-1024x610.jpg

Fairway view:

DSC00001-1024x681.jpg

Again, there is a large difference between the Haig tees and the Calibogue tees. While it's still a long par 4 from the Haig tees, it's a straightaway hole. However, anything that misses right of the fairway has a chance of hitting the bank and going into the water. From the Calibogue tees, it's a beast of a hole. First of all, you can practically walk out of the back of the clubhouse and be on that tee, so you may have a small gallery watching you as you tee off. Second, you have to try to figure out how much of the water you want to bite off with your tee shot. Third, the fun doesn't stop when you get to the green, I seem to remember there being 3 different sections to the green: front left was elevated, front right sat a bit lower, and the back half was elevated as well. 4 is a very good score on this hole.

Playing the Calibogue setup, I chickened out a bit and pulled my drive left of my original line which made the carry easier, but I went through the fairway into the left rough. I hit a low drawing 4 iron from about 210 out to get onto the green and then 2-putted, it was one of the best pars I made all weekend.

#11:

getImage.gif

Tee view:

DSC00003-1024x683.jpg

2 things about this hole stuck out to me after playing it. The first was that visually from the tee, it seemed like one of the widest holes on the course, even though the bunkers frame the fairway. In other words, there was some room to miss on either side of the fairway and still have a decent shot at the green. The second thing that stood out was the green, it's got a bit of a Biarritz feel to it: higher sections at the front and back with a lower section in the middle of the green, sort of like a half-pipe for those that aren't familiar with a Biarritz green. However, if you don't get your approach shot in the same section as the pin, good luck with a 2 putt. I had an approach shot one day end up on the back of the green, and the pin was down in the low section, and I had almost no chance of getting the ball to stop within 6 feet of the hole since it came down the slope into the lower section so quickly. Even for the longer hitters, I would try to hit driver as far down as I could to get the shortest club in my hand for the approach shot on this hole.

#12:

getImage.gif

If there was one hole on this course that I would want to blow up, it was this one. Dogleg right didn't fit my natural shot shape and I found it hard to figure out a good target yardage for my tee shot. One day I tried to cut the corner with driver, ended up blowing it way right and making 6. The next day, I tried to cut a 3 wood and instead hit a double cross through the fairway, had to take an unplayable, then made 7. If I had to do it all over again: just take a club that goes about 220 and try to find the fairway, then deal with the approach shot. Pin position means a lot on this hole, pins on the right half of the green are pretty accessible. Pins on the left side of the green are tougher to access because of the tree in the bunker short of the green, but can be done if you are in a good spot in the fairway. Let's stop talking about this hole, it's giving me nightmares again.

Yeah those pics are awesome.

I love Spanish Oak trees.....

Before I get to the previews of 10-12, a correction to my post for 7-9. I posted the same picture twice on 9, the view from behind the green. I have gone back and edited that post to show a view from the tee on the Calibogue setup so that the players can get an idea of the view across the marsh as well as the row of trees that guards the left side of the fairway. Away we go to the back nine...

#10:

getImage.gif

Calibogue tee view:

DSC09995-1024x610.jpg

Fairway view:

DSC00001-1024x681.jpg

Again, there is a large difference between the Haig tees and the Calibogue tees. While it's still a long par 4 from the Haig tees, it's a straightaway hole. However, anything that misses right of the fairway has a chance of hitting the bank and going into the water. From the Calibogue tees, it's a beast of a hole. First of all, you can practically walk out of the back of the clubhouse and be on that tee, so you may have a small gallery watching you as you tee off. Second, you have to try to figure out how much of the water you want to bite off with your tee shot. Third, the fun doesn't stop when you get to the green, I seem to remember there being 3 different sections to the green: front left was elevated, front right sat a bit lower, and the back half was elevated as well. 4 is a very good score on this hole.

Playing the Calibogue setup, I chickened out a bit and pulled my drive left of my original line which made the carry easier, but I went through the fairway into the left rough. I hit a low drawing 4 iron from about 210 out to get onto the green and then 2-putted, it was one of the best pars I made all weekend.

#11:

getImage.gif

Tee view:

DSC00003-1024x683.jpg

2 things about this hole stuck out to me after playing it. The first was that visually from the tee, it seemed like one of the widest holes on the course, even though the bunkers frame the fairway. In other words, there was some room to miss on either side of the fairway and still have a decent shot at the green. The second thing that stood out was the green, it's got a bit of a Biarritz feel to it: higher sections at the front and back with a lower section in the middle of the green, sort of like a half-pipe for those that aren't familiar with a Biarritz green. However, if you don't get your approach shot in the same section as the pin, good luck with a 2 putt. I had an approach shot one day end up on the back of the green, and the pin was down in the low section, and I had almost no chance of getting the ball to stop within 6 feet of the hole since it came down the slope into the lower section so quickly. Even for the longer hitters, I would try to hit driver as far down as I could to get the shortest club in my hand for the approach shot on this hole.

#12:

getImage.gif

If there was one hole on this course that I would want to blow up, it was this one. Dogleg right didn't fit my natural shot shape and I found it hard to figure out a good target yardage for my tee shot. One day I tried to cut the corner with driver, ended up blowing it way right and making 6. The next day, I tried to cut a 3 wood and instead hit a double cross through the fairway, had to take an unplayable, then made 7. If I had to do it all over again: just take a club that goes about 220 and try to find the fairway, then deal with the approach shot. Pin position means a lot on this hole, pins on the right half of the green are pretty accessible. Pins on the left side of the green are tougher to access because of the tree in the bunker short of the green, but can be done if you are in a good spot in the fairway. Let's stop talking about this hole, it's giving me nightmares again.

Going back to 9 can you clear the trees with driver?

Also on 10 what’s the carry from calibogue to bunkers and tree out in the middle?

Back