LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2021 Morgan Cup Sponsored by Cobra Puma Golf

Yup, and it’s a lot of target golf which I enjoy, but you can also play ultra aggressive if you want

The canyons had enough risk/reward for sure. I think the only hole I really didn’t enjoy was the 595 yard par 5. A little too long for me

The canyons had enough risk/reward for sure. I think the only hole I really didn’t enjoy was the 595 yard par 5. A little too long for me

#6 was crazy tough as the wind was usually hurting. 380+ yards on the second shot is hard on my ego 🤣

The Midwest has trees, there is nothing to protect you out there and the wind was swirling
Glad I’m not only that felt like more than our fair share was into us…

The Midwest has trees, there is nothing to protect you out there and the wind was swirling
Ya you can really tell the differences with courses in my area depending on if they have a lot of trees or not.

#6 was crazy tough as the wind was usually hurting. 380+ yards on the second shot is hard on my ego 🤣
The funny thing about that hole, last year I went for the green twice after my tee shot and nearly made it.😳 🤷🏻‍♂️ That’s how much of a difference the wind was making

The funny thing about that hole, last year I went for the green twice after my tee shot and nearly made it.😳 🤷🏻‍♂️ That’s how much of a difference the wind was making
One of the first things I noticed this year was the almost 180° change in wind direction.

Wow, what a huge difference!! I liked the hole but it was a full 3 shots for me

I was wondering how it compared to the Midwest. It can really get blowing at times with no wind cover to speak of.

here's into 11 Friday and then with very little wind Sunday

20E56C30-8CF4-44EF-9B28-E7EDD6055699.jpegB382FE52-FA72-4AC1-B4BF-B73D64D0FAB9.jpeg

Let me start by saying that I could never have imagined the experience that I would have when I submitted my name for the Morgan Cup!

Arrival:
I can honestly say that I have never been more uncomfortable than the minute I walked into a room that I was sharing with @jdtox. This quickly passed and situation became more like hanging out with a friend you have not seen for a while. Very soon after, I had the opportunity to go to dinner with our entire team that reinforced the idea that we were already friends that just happened to not have met in person yet.

Practice Round:
Las Vegas was a little chilly and very windy on that Friday. There was sustained wind of like 25mph which is something that I had never played in before(forgot to mention that it actually rained!). It was a fun round with a few of us experiencing desert golf for the first time and learning to function as a team. We all seemed to really mesh well and I realized at this point that regardless of the outcome, this would be a great weekend.

Saturday Shamble:
@Scooby45 and I teamed up for the shamble which was the format that I was looking forward to the most. We did not play bad but just got beat by some lights out play by @DataDude and @retiredvetwes. This was honestly some of the most fun I have ever had on a course and was absolutely awesome to have the privilege to have a partner as incredible as Tim! After all the dust settled, Team Paradise was up 3-1 and it definitely felt like there was some momentum building

Saturday Alternate Shot:
@tucsoncacti aka Sean aka tusconcati and I played the alternate shot round together against @Jman and Craig from the Hackers. They won the first two holes and the match fluctuated around that number until hole 8. Those guys were absolutely great to play with and it was very interesting getting to know @Jman after I have listened to him quite a bit on (the real)”Off Course Podcast” featuring @Canadan. @Jman and Craig are amazing people that I wish I could play with more often.

Sunday Singles:
We went into singles with a 5-3 lead and was feeling good about the outcome. I felt really good pre-round with a good range warm up. Unfortunately my driver y**s reared its ugly head and I could absolutely not get off the tee. Luckily, I was part of a team that was full of stone cold killers and my match was irrelevant at that point. Team Paradise brought home the trophy after excellent play from our first 4 guys. I have honestly never been so stoked about anything in my adult life!!

My Teammates:
These guys are really amazing and I feel like they have become like friends I have had for years. Really the best group of people that I could ever imagine hanging out with.
Captain @jdtox: Really great roommate and the glue that really put our team together. Just know that there is no one more into the experience and the relationships of the Morgan Cup. I can not possibly imagine a better captain or teammate. Thanks for everything!
Jose Miraflor @thelittlerat: I could just listen to this guy tells stories for days. The ultimate competitor that wanted to win as much as any of us. It tells you a lot about him how involved he was with all parts of the Paradise Morgan Cup Experience. Throughout the process he was always asking if there was any way he could help. Also, he gaze me the best bunker lesson ever(his mistake that he didn’t charge!) Truly great dude!
@tucsoncacti : Very nice guy that absolutely knows how to play out of the desert! There is absolutely nothing more badass that burning heaters and hitting sick shots out of the natural Las Vegas sh**. One of the coolest people that I have had the privilege to meet. Was an absolute pleasure to be your AS partner.
@Scooby45: An incredibly positive person to play golf with and even better to get to hang out with! Tip: if anyone ever plays a money game with him, my advice is to start by breaking his hybrid!
@hedley_lamarr08: It has been said before, but this guy has stories unlike any that I have ever heard before. Truly is a guy that will tell you exactly what he is thinking and will make you laugh at the same time. Also is you need someone to hit a GW flop shot from 120 yards, this is the only choice! If someone does like Ernie, they are truly an evil person.
@jjsportz: He is exactly what you think about for a Midwesterner: nice, funny, and positive. The two golf shots that I have felt the most excited for in my life were both hit by John on Saturday at the end of the sessions. With the pressure on, he hit awesome shots into the greens with everyone watching and Cup on the line. There is nothing more to say than this man is absolutely CLUTCH and deserves the wedge he was given after the win!
@echico-Ricardo: Because of his great calves, at first I was a little intimidated in his presence. After I realized this was about golf instead of leg muscles, I thoroughly enjoyed his company. He had great stories and just has a presence that improves any conversation he is in. Good luck to anyone that has to ever play against Ricardo because he seems to just have another gear and is just an incredible competitor.

I also have to mention @Jman, this guy is just all around great person. He can definitely golf his ball(and other ones he happens to hit out of the desert). What really stands out is just how it seems like as soon as you meet him you feel like you have been friends for 10 years. This guy has a lot of great insights about everything imaginable that I thoroughly enjoyed listening to. Also, he can “Math” just fine when it is related to golf!

I just wanted to thank @JB, @GolferGal, and everyone else that put so much effort into making this event something that I will remember forever!

MORGAN CUP! TEAM PARADISE!

Let me start by saying that I could never have imagined the experience that I would have when I submitted my name for the Morgan Cup!

Arrival:
I can honestly say that I have never been more uncomfortable than the minute I walked into a room that I was sharing with @jdtox. This quickly passed and situation became more like hanging out with a friend you have not seen for a while. Very soon after, I had the opportunity to go to dinner with our entire team that reinforced the idea that we were already friends that just happened to not have met in person yet.

Practice Round:
Las Vegas was a little chilly and very windy on that Friday. There was sustained wind of like 25mph which is something that I had never played in before(forgot to mention that it actually rained!). It was a fun round with a few of us experiencing desert golf for the first time and learning to function as a team. We all seemed to really mesh well and I realized at this point that regardless of the outcome, this would be a great weekend.

Saturday Shamble:
@Scooby45 and I teamed up for the shamble which was the format that I was looking forward to the most. We did not play bad but just got beat by some lights out play by @DataDude and @retiredvetwes. This was honestly some of the most fun I have ever had on a course and was absolutely awesome to have the privilege to have a partner as incredible as Tim! After all the dust settled, Team Paradise was up 3-1 and it definitely felt like there was some momentum building

Saturday Alternate Shot:
@tusconcacti aka Sean aka tusconcati and I played the alternate shot round together against @Jman and Craig from the Hackers. They won the first two holes and the match fluctuated around that number until hole 8. Those guys were absolutely great to play with and it was very interesting getting to know @Jman after I have listened to him quite a bit on (the real)”Off Course Podcast” featuring @Canadan. @Jman and Craig are amazing people that I wish I could play with more often.

Sunday Singles:
We went into singles with a 5-3 lead and was feeling good about the outcome. I felt really good pre-round with a good range warm up. Unfortunately my driver y**s reared its ugly head and I could absolutely not get off the tee. Luckily, I was part of a team that was full of stone cold killers and my match was irrelevant at that point. Team Paradise brought home the trophy after excellent play from our first 4 guys. I have honestly never been so stoked about anything in my adult life!!

My Teammates:
These guys are really amazing and I feel like they have become like friends I have had for years. Really the best group of people that I could ever imagine hanging out with.
Captain @jdtox: Really great roommate and the glue that really put our team together. Just know that there is no one more into the experience and the relationships of the Morgan Cup. I can not possibly imagine a better captain or teammate. Thanks for everything!
Jose Miraflor @thelittlerat: I could just listen to this guy tells stories for days. The ultimate competitor that wanted to win as much as any of us. It tells you a lot about him how involved he was with all parts of the Paradise Morgan Cup Experience. Throughout the process he was always asking if there was any way he could help. Also, he gaze me the best bunker lesson ever(his mistake that he didn’t charge!) Truly great dude!
@Tusconcacti: Very nice guy that absolutely knows how to play out of the desert! There is absolutely nothing more badass that burning heaters and hitting sick shots out of the natural Las Vegas sh**. One of the coolest people that I have had the privilege to meet. Was an absolute pleasure to be your AS partner.
@Scooby45: An incredibly positive person to play golf with and even better to get to hang out with! Tip: if anyone ever plays a money game with him, my advice is to start by breaking his hybrid!
@hedley_lamarr08: It has been said before, but this guy has stories unlike any that I have ever heard before. Truly is a guy that will tell you exactly what he is thinking and will make you laugh at the same time. Also is you need someone to hit a GW flop shot from 120 yards, this is the only choice! If someone does like Ernie, they are truly an evil person.
@jjsportz: He is exactly what you think about for a Midwesterner: nice, funny, and positive. The two golf shots that I have felt the most excited for in my life were both hit by John on Saturday at the end of the sessions. With the pressure on, he hit awesome shots into the greens with everyone watching and Cup on the line. There is nothing more to say than this man is absolutely CLUTCH and deserves the wedge he was given after the win!
@echico-Ricardo: Because of his great calves, at first I was a little intimidated in his presence. After I realized this was about golf instead of leg muscles, I thoroughly enjoyed his company. He had great stories and just has a presence that improves any conversation he is in. Good luck to anyone that has to ever play against Ricardo because he seems to just have another gear and is just an incredible competitor.

I also have to mention @Jman, this guy is just all around great person. He can definitely golf his ball(and other ones he happens to hit out of the desert). What really stands out is just how it seems like as soon as you meet him you feel like you have been friends for 10 years. This guy has a lot of great insights about everything imaginable that I thoroughly enjoyed listening to. Also, he can “Math” just fine when it is related to golf!

I just wanted to thank @JB, @GolferGal, and everyone else that put so much effort into making this event something that I will remember forever!

My guy. Thank you for those kind words. Truly. Truly. Truly.

Really enjoy these post event recaps as you can tell the memories and friendships that grew out of this one event will last those a lifetime. Can’t wait to read the others as this was a incredible follow through the thread.

Arrival:

Practice Round:

Saturday Shamble:

Saturday Alternate Shot:
@tucsoncacti aka Sean aka tusconcati and I played the alternate shot round together against @Jman and Craig from the Hackers. They won the first two holes and the match fluctuated around that number until hole 8. Those guys were absolutely great to play with and it was very interesting getting to know @Jman after I have listened to him quite a bit on (the real)”Off Course Podcast” featuring @Canadan. @Jman and Craig are amazing people that I wish I could play with more often.

Sunday Singles:

My Teammates:
@tucsoncacti : Very nice guy that absolutely knows how to play out of the desert! There is absolutely nothing more badass that burning heaters and hitting sick shots out of the natural Las Vegas sh**. One of the coolest people that I have had the privilege to meet. Was an absolute pleasure to be your AS partner.

Great post and recap @zoveracker!

Man I love reading re-caps. Fun to see things I may have missed along the way when the thread is flying. Keep em coming!!

Arrival:

Practice Round:

Saturday Shamble:

Saturday Alternate Shot:

Sunday Singles:

My Teammates:

@zoveracker, sure enjoyed having you in my group every session. Each round was fun!

Man I love reading re-caps. Fun to see things I may have missed along the way when the thread is flying. Keep em coming!!
Same! I get excited whenever I see this thread pop up!

I have a question for Team Hackers. There were some on Paradise that were really driven, upset, about the odds that @JDax put out. I was not one of those people. I mean how could he really put meaningful odds out if he has not played with most of the people in the event. It's just of fun. Were the odds a thing for y'all? Did you agree with them?

I think he got my odds just about right for my game. I can look like a low single digit out there at times as well as a 15 for a 2-3 hole stretch. I typically play 11-14 good holes and the last ones are a lottery to see if I will break 80 or not.
I don't take them that seriously. It's just good clean fun. If someone here knew everyone's game and had played with everyone it might be different, but golf is golf. It's tough to guess how someone will play in that environment and really it's

Arrival:

Practice Round:

Saturday Shamble:

Saturday Alternate Shot:

Sunday Singles:

My Teammates:

What a great guy!!

Back