EXPERIENCE The 2024 Quest Cup with Edel Golf

I’ll be coming from Williamsburg on Sunday. Home on Monday and then straight to Ballyhack. No promises but let me know what you’re thinking and I’ll see what I can do!
I'm thinking I'll come in Sunday night. Play Monday at Mariners Landing, then Tuesday morning play the Pete Dye River Course.

I'm thinking I'll come in Sunday night. Play Monday at Mariners Landing, then Tuesday morning play the Pete Dye River Course.
Will depend on our arrival times on what I can swing. Being in Williamsburg the weekend prior limits my options a bit.

Well the excitement level for this event after hitting these putters has been increased significantly.

60 degree is already called "The Wildcat"

So I'm thinking in Leaderboard

54 "PrincetonSW"

48 "HarvardWest"
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent

To team @EdelBlake

I am hurt, but I am not slain; I'll lay me down and bleed awhile. And then I'll rise and fight again

Still waiting for the kits to come in, but went ahead and scheduled a wedge fitting at one of the local Golftecs. Super stoked to get the process started!

Wedge fitting completed! Hoping I'll be able to get my putter fitting locked down this Thursday.

Had my wedge fitting at Golftec this evening. Worked with Jack at the Fairfax, VA location and he was great throughout the process. We talked for a bit about how I use my wedges:

I rarely full swing my 58˚ unless it's right at 75-80 yards and I have to fly it all the way. We talked about how the lower bounce Z grind I've been playing with the Callaway wedges for the last season plus. It has been working well for some of the tight lies and the lies where the ball settles down in between the grass on the ground here. The shots where you have to go down after the ball. I told him I usually don't use it in traps unless they're pretty firm.

The 54˚ for me is more for straight forward shots that don't require me to open the face much. I also like some more bounce here because some of the traps on the courses I play are softer, and having two bounce options gives me options there (I seem to always find a trap or two). I also use the higher bounce 54 for softer lies, like we get in the spring and fall. Finally we talked about how historically the 54˚ has been my 100 yard club, and how that was my stock layup distance forever. I've really struggled getting any consistency with the 54W I've been playing from that distance so I've adapted a bit and just try to hit the ball as close to the hole as possible. While this isn't a huge deal, standing over that 100 yard shot not knowing you've got can be daunting. And there's more than one hole locally with forced layups in that general range that I play regularly.

At this point he threw me a bone and said that he agreed with my general logic, but let's hit some and see what's what. We started with my Callaway wedges. I hit a few partial shots to warm up and he set me up at 75 yards with my lob wedge just to see what I could do there. I did decent distance wise, but was kind of spraying them all around the target green. We then moved out to 95 yards with the 54 and repeated. Less decent, and my shots became far more varied distance wise. None made it past the hole and some were short of the green. The spread was about the same but the distance issues made it look way worse. With both wedges I was missing predominantly left.

I didn't take any pictures of the numbers but my launch and spin were high for his liking on the longer shots. He went out and grabbed a couple of other brand wedges while he looked at the options for the SMS. We tried Steelfibers and a 105g steel shaft. We then started moving up in weight. There was a DG shaft in there somewhere. I was consciously trying not to look at everything before I hit it. As we upped the weight I started bringing the ball back towards the pin a bit. Once we got into the 120 range he asked me to take some swings with the Edel 54 I already had, with a Tour-V 125. I proceeded to hit a handful of shots right over the pin landing at 100 and basically stopping where they landed. They weren't all perfect but the results between those swings and the ones with my gamers were pretty striking.

He asked if I'd been looking at any of the grinds and if there was anything I was favoring. I told him that I thought the P grind would be a good fit for my 58 based on how I play my current LW around the green. He agreed pretty quickly on that one. I said I had no idea on the 54. He said based on the swings he's seen and how I was swinging down on the ball, he thought a V grind would work well there. Both for my approach shots and the way I play around the greens.

So we settled on 54V/58P with the Tour-V 125s. Half inch long and 1˚ flat. I was a little surprised that he wanted me to bend them flat, but it's been a while since an iron or wedge fitting so I'm going to trust the professional. The Tour-Vs were less of a surprise since I've played them before, but the difference in the quality of the shots I saw was eye opening.

Definitely felt a little silly that I was fit into something I already had sitting in my basement. I already put my SMS back in the bag, and the fitting results cemented that decision. Good news is I'll have some wedges to practice with before the Quest Cup! I know that there's only so much that you can do for wedges indoors, but talking to the fitter who also plays locally and him seeing some of my struggles on longer approaches was definitely worth the trip to make sure I've got the best options possible. Happy to answer any questions I can about the process. Overall it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to going back for the putter later this week.

Wedge fitting completed! Hoping I'll be able to get my putter fitting locked down this Thursday.
Did you try the Ballistic wedge shaft?

These wedges look so good…

These wedges look so good…
They are definitely clean looking. I need to figure out my stamping now. DONTBLADEIT might be a little too on the nose for my LW.

Putter and wedge specs submitted. Only 76 days left until this one kicks off, but who’s counting?
Same here. 74 days!!!

How many of you have rolled the putters yet?

Getting one in hand to feel is high on the to-do list in terms of club testing.

How many of you have rolled the putters yet?
Not yet. Fitting kit just arrived at my local Golftec last week. Need to schedule my fitting.

I have been doing it every day. The feel is ******* addictive.
THAT has me excited! I keep hearing great things about the feel.

Booked flights. This one is going to be exciting. Ballyhack is a dream course. Can’t wait to get the Array in hand. Let’s go

Back