EXPERIENCE The 2024 Titleist Vokey Experience

Loving the outdoor fitting experiences so far. The differences in what the online tool shows and what was done outside is significant.

@jefe35 the customization is so cool! That's a wedge to keep forever!

Four weeks from now, we will be at Ballyhack having an incredible day.

As for today, I just pulled up to Willow Creek Golf Club in Knoxville, TN to do my fitting with Trey Roy. Can't wait to see what the results are...will definitely report back later.

Four weeks from now, we will be at Ballyhack having an incredible day.

As for today, I just pulled up to Willow Creek Golf Club in Knoxville, TN to do my fitting with Trey Roy. Can't wait to see what the results are...will definitely report back later.
Looking forward to hearing about it! Going to be a bit cool here in the Chicagoland area tomorrow for mine.

It looks like my fitting will take place this coming Friday. I am really looking forward to it. I have never had a wedge fitting and have never done an outdoor fitting, so both will be new experiences.

Looks like the bipolar weather in the midwest has thrown a monkey wrench into my fitting for tomorrow. Rescheduled for Friday! After my round on Saturday it gives me a bit more time to try and tune the swing in, it was ugly this weekend!

For those participants who have already been fit for their wedges, I would love to hear what shaft options were available.

For those participants who have already been fit for their wedges, I would love to hear what shaft options were available.
I'm pretty sure all shafts are available. For my 50* he matched my other iron shafts (Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130) - for my 54 & 58 it was more standard with Dynamic Gold S200.

I'm pretty sure all shafts are available. For my 50* he matched my other iron shafts (Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130) - for my 54 & 58 it was more standard with Dynamic Gold S200.
I am willing to bet a tidy sum that the shafts in my irons are not available, which I am totally fine with. I have Graphite Design Tour AD iron shafts in my irons and in my utility iron.

Just got back from traveling to my fitting up in Knoxville at Willow Creek Golf Club. Titleist fitter Trey Roy was on site there today for some public fittings of various Titleist lines using a Trackman to accumulate data to help with the fitting analysis. We were set up at the end of their driving range with access to a nice little chipping green with some various slopes.

While he let me warm up for a few minutes, he looked at my current clubs to get an idea of what irons, shafts, and lofts I was trying to tie into as well as how I currently have my wedges setup, and we talked a bit about how I traditionally use each one. He them had me hit my current PW and my 50 and 54 wedges so he could confirm my gapping in the clubs I use for full swings. I was glad to see him getting the numbers on Trackman that match what I expect to see on those as a baseline.

I told him I was just going to hit what he handed me shaft and grind wise and trust the process...that my only real preferences were that I wanted to get the Nickel finish and preferred to have a 58 as the highest lofted wedge. With that, he started handing me clubs for full swings to start getting a picture of my swing and what it needed.

For reference, I had stock shafts in my MD4 wedges, and have been fitted twice to the KBS Tour V Regular flex - 105 grams which I use in my irons. He tried me in a couple different shafts and we quickly landed on the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in the R300 flex as the best option which was giving me a really nice flight just felt great.

We then moved over to the chipping green and he had me hit a few with my existing wedges and then with about 4-5 different Vokeys so he could see those movements and what kind of grind would work best for me...we did this from a couple different angles with an uphill shot then a level one. From these, I could tell that the sound and spin off these Vokeys was going to be a nice improvement off my MD4s.

Finally, he came up with a combination of lofts and grinds the though would suit me best and had me hit a couple 54s and a couple 58s to a target about 30 yards away. Main takeaway from the swing observations was that he was pleased with the neutral delivery of the club head into the ball and fit me into the below (all 1 deg upright and +0.25 in length).

SM10 Nickel - 50.12 F Grind bent to 49 degrees for better gapping to PW
SM10 Nickel - 54.12 D Grind
SM10 Nickel - 58.08 M Grind

As a comparison, the online tool suggested 48.10 F, 54.12 D, and 58.14 K based on my answers...I'm apparently not as much of a digger as I led the online tool to believe

We got the order entered with my normal Midsize Winn Dry Tac grips and he sent the information over to Jacquelyn. We didn't talk about personalization options like stamping (which I'm kind of ambivalent about).

Overall, I was with Trey for right at an hour, and it was clear he was very observant and knowledgeable about the Vokey lineup. We talked about the event, and he was amazed at the opportunity that was being presented to us. He remembered working with a THPer for in the past for a Titleist Driver or FW event. I really enjoyed this part of the process and can't wait to get the final setups in hand at Ballyhack...I think they are going to be outstanding replacements for my current wedges and provide me more options around the green than I feel I have currently.

Just got back from traveling to my fitting up in Knoxville at Willow Creek Golf Club. Titleist fitter Trey Roy was on site there today for some public fittings of various Titleist lines using a Trackman to accumulate data to help with the fitting analysis. We were set up at the end of their driving range with access to a nice little chipping green with some various slopes.

While he let me warm up for a few minutes, he looked at my current clubs to get an idea of what irons, shafts, and lofts I was trying to tie into as well as how I currently have my wedges setup, and we talked a bit about how I traditionally use each one. He them had me hit my current PW and my 50 and 54 wedges so he could confirm my gapping in the clubs I use for full swings. I was glad to see him getting the numbers on Trackman that match what I expect to see on those as a baseline.

I told him I was just going to hit what he handed me shaft and grind wise and trust the process...that my only real preferences were that I wanted to get the Nickel finish and preferred to have a 58 as the highest lofted wedge. With that, he started handing me clubs for full swings to start getting a picture of my swing and what it needed.

For reference, I had stock shafts in my MD4 wedges, and have been fitted twice to the KBS Tour V Regular flex - 105 grams which I use in my irons. He tried me in a couple different shafts and we quickly landed on the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in the R300 flex as the best option which was giving me a really nice flight just felt great.

We then moved over to the chipping green and he had me hit a few with my existing wedges and then with about 4-5 different Vokeys so he could see those movements and what kind of grind would work best for me...we did this from a couple different angles with an uphill shot then a level one. From these, I could tell that the sound and spin off these Vokeys was going to be a nice improvement off my MD4s.

Finally, he came up with a combination of lofts and grinds the though would suit me best and had me hit a couple 54s and a couple 58s to a target about 30 yards away. Main takeaway from the swing observations was that he was pleased with the neutral delivery of the club head into the ball and fit me into the below (all 1 deg upright and +0.25 in length).

As a comparison, the online tool suggested 48.10 F, 54.12 D, and 58.14 K based on my answers...I'm apparently not as much of a digger as I led the online tool to believe

We got the order entered with my normal Midsize Winn Dry Tac grips and he sent the information over to Jacquelyn. We didn't talk about personalization options like stamping (which I'm kind of ambivalent about).

Overall, I was with Trey for right at an hour, and it was clear he was very observant and knowledgeable about the Vokey lineup. We talked about the event, and he was amazed at the opportunity that was being presented to us. He remembered working with a THPer for in the past for a Titleist Driver or FW event. I really enjoyed this part of the process and can't wait to get the final setups in hand at Ballyhack...I think they are going to be outstanding replacements for my current wedges and provide me more options around the green than I feel I have currently.

Very cool, sounds like you are dialed in. I received the email about personalization about 2 hours following the fitting. If you change your mind.

The outdoor fitting is such a great tool for wedge fitting. Interesting that your LW is the lower bounce of the 3 but as a fellow sweeper, it makes sense.
How do you typically use the 3 wedges? Is the 50° more of a full swing and the others versatile?

The outdoor fitting is such a great tool for wedge fitting. Interesting that your LW is the lower bounce of the 3 but as a fellow sweeper, it makes sense.
How do you typically use the 3 wedges? Is the 50° more of a full swing and the others versatile?
I do usually only use the 50 and 54 for full swings and use the 58 for most things chipping and pitching...so I think what the fitting showed was that I get steeper on the full swings (therefore the higher bounce on the 50 and 54) and not as steep on chips and pitches with 58 (so the lesser bounce on that one). He wanted me to have some options and suggested working more with the 50/54 for more options around the greens.

Excellent question.

I do usually only use the 50 and 54 for full swings and use the 58 for most things chipping and pitching...so I think what the fitting showed was that I get steeper on the full swings (therefore the higher bounce on the 50 and 54) and not as steep on chips and pitches with 58 (so the lesser bounce on that one). He wanted me to have some options and suggested working more with the 50/54 for more options around the greens.

Excellent question.
I would think the less bounce would be associated with a steeper angle.

Did any of the fitters use the Wedge fitting App at all?

Excellent question.

I have a similar 54 setup for the same reasons. I do incorporate the 54 around the green a good bit in traps and softer lies. Having a low bounce option there when you need it is important to me. Heck just this weekend I had a few bare lies that would have been harder to hit with a high bounce wedge.

Could also be used for course conditions. I've had good luck with a sweeping swing and low bounce in firm conditions.

Mine did not to my knowledge (couldn't see everything he was doing on his computer screen).

I had used it going in to compare in my write-up.

Maybe so, I didn't have time to ask him the specific reason...got a bit rushed at the end as his next fitting was waiting.

Maybe so, I didn't have time to ask him the specific reason...got a bit rushed at the end as his next fitting was waiting.

Pretty sure my fitter said in general more bounce was better for steeper swings. But he also stressed how hitting balls to determine the correct fit is also very important. For me I seemed to hit the 50 and 54 much higher on the face with the lower bounce options (leading to inconsistent yardages) so we went higher.

Mine did not. He did look at some of the launch monitor data but was more interested with the clubface contact. He looked at the face after almost every swing and cleaned it off to know where the next ball was hit.

Great to hear the real-world experiences. I have a Titleist wedge fitting scheduled towards the end of this month at a (somewhat) local course which will be outdoor and should be on grass (I'm done with mats for irons/wedges). I have a 60M that I bought with my assumptions on my swing and grind preference, will be interesting to see how that matches in the fitting. I'm willing to swap into a trio of Vokeys if they fit what I want/need and where I'm going with my game (other than straight to heck...)

In my conversations with the Titleist rep helping to schedule the fitting, she mentioned that the app (way different than the online fitting tool) is excellent and they get great results with it. I told her I'd be open to that, but in general they're trying to get us fit outdoors. Midwest weather has not cooperated much and the grass isn't in great shape yet. My fitting is next week Friday and outdoors if the first choice. If I end up with any app experience, I'll add to the comments, but I'm very curious about it.

For those of you who have had your outdoor fittings, how does using, what I presume are range balls, fit into the equation? It would seem like it would be an apples to oranges comparison if it is not possible to use a ball at least similar to what is actually played.

For those of you who have had your outdoor fittings, how does using, what I presume are range balls, fit into the equation? It would seem like it would be an apples to oranges comparison if it is not possible to use a ball at least similar to what is actually played.
For my fitting, we hit range balls for full shots and mid-length chips going down the range using the Trackman. When we moved over to the chipping green, he pulled out a handful of Titleist AVX (I think) and we chipped with those.

Guess it is always better to use the real thing, but not always practical.

Back