The 2nd Driver Experiment

If you hit traditional 3W well I would keep that combo in the bag. Personally I have zero business trying to hit 3W from the deck so just removing that option probably shaves a couple strokes off my score every couple of rounds.

Like I said, it’s a ponder. It helped me in CA, but then again, hitting a fairway there at the end would have been just as useful. Both times I pulled driver on holes where I shouldn’t have and brought hazards into play.

Yeah, with a 3w that’s hit or miss, and a hybrid that goes just about as far, I may be giving this a run... time time to figure out the driver and shaft combo/length that would best fit this... thinking smarter minds like you and @jb would be able to give great input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think something shorter, with a natural draw bias like the XJ1, Rogue Draw, M2 D-Type could be really good for a lot of people in the #2 spot.

I think something shorter, with a natural draw bias like the XJ1, Rogue Draw, M2 D-Type could be really good for a lot of people in the #2 spot.

Mine would need natural draw bias, full draw bias, with hot melt for more draw.... and I’ll still fade or slice it

The xj1 does sound very intriguing, and I do get along well with my with xotics hybrid.... time to find one to hit

The xj1 does sound very intriguing, and I do get along well with my with xotics hybrid.... time to find one to hit

It's loud. Abrasively loud for me. But it's damn straight and PLENTY long.

It's loud. Abrasively loud for me. But it's damn straight and PLENTY long.

I don’t mind loud... but straight and long.... ok time to research where to find one

And obedt is awesome

During one of my prior range sessions I noticed I had been setting up the XJ1 2nd driver closed. That explains the lower trajectory and left bias I had been experiencing. Today after getting my swing straightened out (to a degree - it is still obedt's swing we're talking about), I wanted to compare the 4 wood against the 2nd driver today at the range.

Hit the 4w first, and after center contact but a hook swing (doh) I put a pretty good move on the second one. Straight as an arrow, flat trajectory probably around 210-215 carry with 15y roll out. I setup properly with the XJ1 and hit a much higher trajectory with a slightly shorter carry and about 10y less total distance. The range was wet and had some heavy wind into the face. I still think under nominal conditions my 4w is shorter, but after adjusting my setup it's closer than I thought. Trajectory is much higher and I would bet that over a full season testing my accuracy would be better with the 2nd driver.

I have enjoyed your feedback obedt.

During one of my prior range sessions I noticed I had been setting up the XJ1 2nd driver closed. That explains the lower trajectory and left bias I had been experiencing. Today after getting my swing straightened out (to a degree - it is still obedt's swing we're talking about), I wanted to compare the 4 wood against the 2nd driver today at the range.

Hit the 4w first, and after center contact but a hook swing (doh) I put a pretty good move on the second one. Straight as an arrow, flat trajectory probably around 210-215 carry with 15y roll out. I setup properly with the XJ1 and hit a much higher trajectory with a slightly shorter carry and about 10y less total distance. The range was wet and had some heavy wind into the face. I still think under nominal conditions my 4w is shorter, but after adjusting my setup it's closer than I thought. Trajectory is much higher and I would bet that over a full season testing my accuracy would be better with the 2nd driver.

So would you say the 2nd driver makes you feel more comfortable on the tee which could lead to the increased accuracy?

So I stole wardy’s thriver (burrowed) as he’s very consistent with 3w off the deck and I am not consistent with it even off a tee so it gets pulled maybe once a round. I’m excited for the rain to stop to get some swings with it

So would you say the 2nd driver makes you feel more comfortable on the tee which could lead to the increased accuracy?

Half the game is confidence, thus why the shorter driver being used over hitting 3w. If you can’t hit 3w off the ground well and only use it off the tee, but then don’t do that well either, why have it in the bag?

Half the game is confidence, thus why the shorter driver being used over hitting 3w. If you can’t hit 3w off the ground well and only use it off the tee, but then don’t do that well either, why have it in the bag?

Lol read my last post.... that’s why I’m glad you dropped yours off for me to test with a bit... and if obedt sends the xj1 be able to see how those two compare side by side as well and how they compare to 3w

Lol read my last post.... that’s why I’m glad you dropped yours off for me to test with a bit... and if obedt sends the xj1 be able to see how those two compare side by side as well and how they compare to 3w

It’ll be a fun test for you, especially when everything around is soaking wet

It’ll be a fun test for you, especially when everything around is soaking wet

Yeah, will see true carry distance by seeing the plugged line... maybe I can convince @jb to meet me on a range one weekend there’s not an event to get some numbers for everybody with his gcquad

Yeah, will see true carry distance by seeing the plugged line... maybe I can convince @jb to meet me on a range one weekend there’s not an event to get some numbers for everybody with his gcquad

Don’t even need to do that, wet CPO courses are great for seeing where one ball plugged vs the other

Don’t even need to do that, wet CPO courses are great for seeing where one ball plugged vs the other

Haha, make a great point

That’s a big part of it, but I think there’s a tech story behind it. The larger head is going to be much more forgiving.

Now I’m not a good ball striker, but have found the center of the face pretty consistently on the shorter driver so haven’t needed that MOI increase as much.

That’s a big part of it, but I think there’s a tech story behind it. The larger head is going to be much more forgiving.

Now I’m not a good ball striker, but have found the center of the face pretty consistently on the shorter driver so haven’t needed that MOI increase as much.

That’s where I’m wondering if it’ll help me

This is one I just don't think I could do...two 3-woods however is a different story. I love shaping the 3W off the tee and I suck at shaping drivers.

That’s where I’m wondering if it’ll help me

Only one way to find out!

Only one way to find out!

the rain to stop?

Sunday was my maiden voyage on the course with the two driver setup. My group played a fairly short set of tees given the soggy conditions so I had plenty of opportunities to pull Driver2. Performance was more than acceptable with most shots being no more than a few feet off the fairway. Distance was more than sufficient and I felt confidence on the tee box when I had it in hand. I'll give my current setup some more time for sure, but I'm thinking I may want to swap in a 5w in place of hybrid to try to get a little more distance in that slot.

Sunday was my maiden voyage on the course with the two driver setup. My group played a fairly short set of tees given the soggy conditions so I had plenty of opportunities to pull Driver2. Performance was more than acceptable with most shots being no more than a few feet off the fairway. Distance was more than sufficient and I felt confidence on the tee box when I had it in hand. I'll give my current setup some more time for sure, but I'm thinking I may want to swap in a 5w in place of hybrid to try to get a little more distance in that slot.

That’s my current setup - having the 5w still gives me a club that gets me the distance on long apporaches off the deck

my new driver just arrived playing 45.75 - I wasn’t sure about the length but it seemed fine - i’m going to cut the Shorter drive down another 1/4 inch and I think that will be where I play it the rest of the year- maybe go to 44” but they may be too much

Back