The 60 and over Thread

I’m 63 and started playing golf in 2004. My driver swing speed is 98-100 mph and carry an 11 handicap. My home course has black(tips), blue, white and red tees and is about 6400 yards. I have always played the blues. When I started I could strike the ball well but was all over the place. So my handicap was even higher back then. I have not seen any real loss in distance throughout my bag. I am fortunate to be strong and athletic but I do lack flexibility. I struggle in the beginning of all my rounds. Whether it be 6:20 am or 4:10 pm after work, I can’t hit woods or driver till I have played a few holes. I don’t get a chance to warmup before either time, which I know would help. Arthritis in hands and shoulders has me contemplating a complete switch to graphite shafts which I have tried with good results. Still can bang the steel shafts but my body may be telling me something. One thing I look forward to is retirement in a few years. Short game
improvement coincides with that due to more time to practice and play.

I’m 63 and started playing golf in 2004. My driver swing speed is 98-100 mph and carry an 11 handicap. My home course has black(tips), blue, white and red tees and is about 6400 yards. I have always played the blues. When I started I could strike the ball well but was all over the place. So my handicap was even higher back then. I have not seen any real loss in distance throughout my bag. I am fortunate to be strong and athletic but I do lack flexibility. I struggle in the beginning of all my rounds. Whether it be 6:20 am or 4:10 pm after work, I can’t hit woods or driver till I have played a few holes. I don’t get a chance to warmup before either time, which I know would help. Arthritis in hands and shoulders has me contemplating a complete switch to graphite shafts which I have tried with good results. Still can bang the steel shafts but my body may be telling me something. One thing I look forward to is retirement in a few years. Short game

I wrestled through college and have arthritis in my fingers, shoulder, elbow and left knee. Graphite and lighter weight will keep the pain down compared to steel or heavier shafts. When I had my first bout with tennis elbow graphite iron shafts removed the pain. I went back to steel and the tennis elbow came back. Graphite shafts and thick shock absorbing grips will make it easier to play longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wrestled through college and have arthritis in my fingers, shoulder, elbow and left knee. Graphite and lighter weight will keep the pain down compared to steel or heavier shafts. When I had my first bout with tennis elbow graphite iron shafts removed the pain. I went back to steel and the tennis elbow came back. Graphite shafts and thick shock absorbing grips will make it easier to play longer.

Yes. Desmond has recommended the change too. Stubbornly, not committing to it yet. I do have a set with Steelfiber shafts with GP cp2 grips that work for me .

My home course has four sets of tees: Blue (6,269 yards), White (5,766 yards), Gold (5,194 yards) and Red (5,048 yards). I play from the White tees, while the Gold and Red tees are normally played by seniors and women, respectively. Although the weekly league in which I play allows players 65 and older to play from the Golds, my current plan is to play from the White tees for a few more years. Most of the differential in distance between the White and Gold tees occurs on two holes in which the Gold tees are more than 100 yards shorter each. Otherwise, they are pretty close.

Most of our local muni courses have 3 sets of tees - blue, white and red. The better courses will have maybe 4 or 5 sets of tees.

I usually play the white tees. At 62 and counting, and a very short hitter off the tee, I try to not play anything longer than 6,000 yards. 5,800 is about the sweet spot for me.

Not ready to move up to red - yet. But I have no problem moving up to white or gold (where available) regardless of where everyone else is teeing off from.

My local course has 4 sets of tees. Blue, white, gold and red. Blues are the longest and red the shortest. I hit from the whites. Two holes I have trouble reaching in regulation. #9 and #15. They're just out of my reach. Every other course I play on has at least one par 3 under 150 yards. Some are around 135. My course has the shortest par 3 at 158. One at 191. Those par 3's typically give me fits. I'm really tempted to hit from the gold tees. I'm considered a senior so I should be able to. I guess its an ego thing with me to stay with the whites.

RanchoFront9Scorecard.jpg

RanchoBack9Scorecard.jpg

Yes, Ernie was using a yellow ball. They are much easier to see on the ground and why I prefer them. Srixon and Callaway typically have a nice yellow color.

The problem I have with the yellow color balls is seeing it on dormant Bermuda grass or dead leaves. And I’m no fan of the color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So far, I have played some different color balls, but keep coming back to white. I tend to like white the best. Never know though, it could change as I get older.

As for color of ball I went to yellow a couple years ago. I sure can see them better.

Most of the 60+ crowd at my club cherish moving up to the gold (senior) tees @5,500. They’re shooting 70s and 80s. They also can’t wait to hit70 and move to reds.

It’s absolutely great playing with guys all shooting near or just above par by picking tees appropriate for their length.

I’ve shot some of the best rounds in my life at 65 playing the golds, including a personal best 71 just over a month ago.

Lose the stigma of the color or name of the tee. Play what makes it fun for you.

I guess this is only learned by age. My son should play the golds. But, he'd rather shoot high numbers from the whites. He gets mad at me, when I suggest it. It is probably something we all have done when we were younger. Perhaps, if the industry didn't label tees and forced people to a certain tee by ability, that would work better. In Pinehurst, there's a course (see link below) you get to choose your color (tee) based on how far you hit your driver. That would be a cool standard. They have 6 tee options. This was also developed with juniors in mind.

Last edited:
I guess this is only learned by age. My son should play the golds. But, he'd rather shoot high numbers from the whites. He gets mad at me, when I suggest it. It is probably something we all have done when we were younger. Perhaps, if the industry didn't label tees and forced people to a certain tee by ability, that would work better. In Pinehurst, there's a course (see link below) you get to choose your color (tee) based on how far you hit your driver. That would be a cool standard. They have 6 tee options. This was also developed with juniors in mind.

I remember someone posting on a thread here a chart that I believe identified best yardages to play based on driver distance. It really seem to transfer quite well. It actually took me a while to get used to playing @5,500. Felt too easy. Until I payed attention to what irons the pros were playing on tour. GW, PW, 9, 8, on most holes. Well, if I play tees in that range, I’m hitting approaches with similar clubs. Having GIR in the 60-70% range is fun, especially at my age.

And I’m really lucky to be playing with a group of guys 15-30 years my junior who tell me to play certain tees on courses I’m unfamiliar with. And our drives all end up relatively close. It’s fun and we can compete. Of course, they may push me back as I’ve been taking their money lately...LOL. Play what makes it fun and enjoyable for you.

The problem I have with the yellow color balls is seeing it on dormant Bermuda grass or dead leaves. And I’m no fan of the color.

They make these blue tinted sunglasses that are supposed to make it easier to find white balls in the grass. But the reviews on Amazon were not good. The only one who gave good reviews said he bought it for a present and the guy he bought it for loves them. No one with first hand experience gave good reviews.

I remember someone posting on a thread here a chart that I believe identified best yardages to play based on driver distance. It really seem to transfer quite well. It actually took me a while to get used to playing @5,500. Felt too easy. Until I payed attention to what irons the pros were playing on tour. GW, PW, 9, 8, on most holes. Well, if I play tees in that range, I’m hitting approaches with similar clubs. Having GIR in the 60-70% range is fun, especially at my age.

And I’m really lucky to be playing with a group of guys 15-30 years my junior who tell me to play certain tees on courses I’m unfamiliar with. And our drives all end up relatively close. It’s fun and we can compete. Of course, they may push me back as I’ve been taking their money lately...LOL. Play what makes it fun and enjoyable for you.

I was thinking the same thing. Pros (especially these days) are hitting 8-GW most of the day for their approach shots. Bryson is hitting pitching wedges 145 yards, lol. Their long irons or hybrids are for second shots on par 5's to get on in two. Most hacks playing from the whites are using fairway woods and often don't have a prayer to get on in regulation. It would be nice to hit an 8 or 9 iron in for the approach shot playing from the appropriate tees.

Interesting comments on different colored golf balls. I am experimenting with yellow golf balls and am finding that I see them better in the air and on the ground. Also, because few other people use yellow golf balls the chance of playing the wrong golf ball is sharply reduced. So far so good and I will probably stick with them.

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area the wildfires have created quite a few new challenges.
1. Some days the particulate count make it unwise to play.
2. Many days the ball ascends into a white/light grey background and disappears. (Colored balls don't help much.)
3. A few days rangefinders are useless beyond 100 yards. They can't acquire a target.

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area the wildfires have created quite a few new challenges.
1. Some days the particulate count make it unwise to play.
2. Many days the ball ascends into a white/light grey background and disappears. (Colored balls don't help much.)
3. A few days rangefinders are useless beyond 100 yards. They can't acquire a target.
Sorry man. That has to really suck. Hope it clears up for you all soon. One round out there would probably kill me ATM.:beat-up:

I prefer yellow or soccer ball ChromeSofts.

I've tried just about all the colors out now, and found I still see white about as good as anything (which unfortunately, often isn't good enough).

For years I thought my golf game was getting better and better because I was hitting more drives out of sight. Turns out it wasn't my golf game! :LOL:

For years I thought my golf game was getting better and better because I was hitting more drives out of sight. Turns out it wasn't my golf game! :LOL:
That’s why I stopped hitting it 300y.

:LOL: Dangit guys, my long distance eyesight is still very good. It's about the only thing I got that's still working good but it's a curse. I still have to watch just how crooked and short my drivers go.

:LOL: Dangit guys, my long distance eyesight is still very good. It's about the only thing I got that's still working good but it's a curse. I still have to watch just how crooked and short my drivers go.
I always like playing with guys like you so SOMEBODY in the group can see where everyone else’s goes.

Get an Orange Whip for warmups before a round. Also consider switching to graphite shafts.

Get an Orange Whip for warmups before a round. Also consider switching to graphite shafts.

The Orange Whip isn’t just for pre round warmup. It is great for stretching older bodies a few times a week and through the off season. If you have a hard time swinging from inside and lagging it’s great for that too. Just practice on a regular basis.

This ^^^

I also use the Whip to stretch.

And you might invest in the Theragun Mini - use it religiously before each round.

I also have a couple of dozen Almost Golf Balls, and take about 8 to a course where they don't have a range and hit wedges to get my tempo and confidence going

Graphite - after my fitting, the fitter and I discussed iron shafts. He says the ratio of graphite to steel is now 80/20 for him. Ten years ago, it was the other way around. Graphite is that good now and you have a wide variety of weights and various designs.

This ^^^

I also use the Whip to stretch.

And you might invest in the Theragun Mini - use it religiously before each round.

I also have a couple of dozen Almost Golf Balls, and take about 8 to a course where they don't have a range and hit wedges to get my tempo and confidence going

Graphite - after my fitting, the fitter and I discussed iron shafts. He says the ratio of graphite to steel is now 80/20 for him. Ten years ago, it was the other way around. Graphite is that good now and you have a wide variety of weights and various designs.

Nice, did you try or consider the recoils smacwrap for shock absorption?

Nice, did you try or consider the recoils smacwrap for shock absorption?
What is the difference between the smacwrap and the Recoil 65? I have the Recoil 65 in my irons and really like them.

Back