The best 2 shots you hit in 2016

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Ive been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to create a thread for it.

What are the best 2 shots you hit in all of 2016? What course? What hole? What situation? Pictures? Do your best to describe the best 2 shots you hit throughout the entire year.

My top two are pretty easy to pick out.

#1: CogHill - Deubsdread #12 was laying 465yds Par 4
The drive went into the first fairway bunker on the right. Was left with a 205yd approach from a fairway bunker with about a 3' lip. The shot played slightly uphill and was essentially a forced carry over the gully with the creek. I took out a 5 iron and thought I hit it fairly well but couldn't tell where it landed as it was into the sunset late afternoon. I honestly thought it had went through the green or was in the rough on the right. After looking around for 4-5 minutes my buddy yells: "did you even bother to check the hole?".....NO!....why would I do that. He walks over and it was in the cuP! Eagle 2!. I was in shock.

#2: TruBlue Golf Club #4 505yd Par 5
Less spectacular but this past year in #TheCup I was paired with Lemmiwinks against Clutch42 and TylerShean from Callaway. It was a pretty close front nine match but we were down by a hole or two with after 3. I knew I couldn't hit driver as it would go through the fairway if I missed right. We were playing shamble I believe. Lemmi's drive was in the center but too far back for either of us to go for it in two. I was further but through the fairway into the pine needles next to a tree. Lemmi and I discussed it and chose my ball. Lemmi punched out to the middle of the fairway right and for some crazy reason I was confident with a 3wood from 245 (roughly) off the pine needles that had to carry water short to get on in two. Sometimes you just need to hit what your comfortable with. We won the hole!.....lost the mach.
4greenf_True_Blue_Golf_Club_of_Myrtle_Beach.jpg

Hmmmm. Good topic. My favorite shot would be the practice round at Shepards crook before the ambition playing with manlai, pits and bmongi. We were on a par 3 and I hit the shot of my life to within a foot or so of the hole. We won't talk about me almost missing the birdie putt.
2nd best shot I hit was probly on Sunday at the ambition on the front and had about 85 yards to the hole. Hit the wedge shot of my life to put the ball within gimmie range to take the hole which helped seal the win for my partner and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two come quickly to mind:

1.) Early in the season at Arrowhead Golf Club #15, 520 yard Par 5. I left my drive in the rough around a fairway bunker. Ball was above my feet about 270 yards from the hole. Pulled 3W and just wanted to put a good swing on it, had no expectations of getting near the green. I even had to choke up and just hit a low bullet that ran up and left me a 10-15' eagle putt (missed it).

2.) Second to last round of this season at Grover Cleveland Golf Course #17, 145 yard Par 3. Pin was in front so I hit 9 iron and almost got my first HIO, left it less than a foot for a tap in birdie.

962fd38f46855e8f2ed30f43420390b2.jpg

Already posted the pic in the first time aces thread, but not my Par three tee shot from 193 with my 7 wood to about 2 inches at my home course.

Second was a ~60ish foot triple breaker putt on another par 3 on the same course for birdie.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

#1 was my first and closest near-ace.

6th hole at Indian Creek. Pin was lasered at 147, and I hit a smooth 7 within a few inches of the pin. The ball rolled over the hole, barely missing the flag, and ended up a few inches behind it.

#2 was just last weekend and was a culmination of practice all coming together

15th at frisco lakes. Drive straight down the middle. Not the longest of the group, but fairway, dead center. 4wood, straight down the fairway to about 40 yards short of the green.

The great shot was a dead straight nailed 60 degree wedge. The ball mark was 6 inches off of the pin, and the ball rolled to about 3 inches. Tap in birdie.

#1 for me was about a month ago. San Juan Hills Golf Club, 8th hole 518yd par 5, I smashed my drive up the right side of the fairway. My Bushnell scope showed 178yds to the flag. I flushed an 8 iron that started out a couple yards right of the flag and worked it's way back to dead online. The ball landed about 6" right of the cup, and left me a 2' eagle putt. There's nothing (to me) like that feeling of a pured iron shot that you know without even looking that it's gonna be close.

#2 was back in September. It was at Oak Quarry Golf Club, the par 3 14th. The scope had 191 to the flag, slightly downhill and with the breeze. This is their signature hole and quite a demanding tee shot. Your tee shot has to clear a gully and bunkers surround the green. And if you happen to miss long or left and not hit one of the bunkers, your ball is going to end up down in a 200' deep quarry. Anyway, I hit an 8i that never left the flagstick. I'm talking to it the whole way... "Be the right club... Be the right club!" The ball hit about 8" short of the hole and stopped right on the lip, maybe 1" short of going in. Almost holed it out. That's the closest I've been to a hole in 1 in a long time.

#1 - April 29, 2016. WeKoPa Saguaro, #5. Par 3, playing 149. Prep for Gauntlet. HIO. Was posting live as I was playing. My only eagle of the year.

#2 - Needed to drain a 20 ft putt for birdie, to win my flight in the Member Guest tourney at my club. R to L uphill putt, drained it! Won the flight by one point.
#2a - In a scramble, I drained a 90 ft putt (or some ridiculously long putt) for birdie.

Best for me:

Mountain Valley Golf Course, Barnesville, PA - Hole 13, Par 3, 185 yd - Scramble - Pured a 6 iron that kicked off a slope on the right portion of the green, rolled down the green, and went the heck in! First HIO and I won $1000 in jewelry gift cards for it to boot haha.
Ivanhoe Golf Club, Chicago, IL - Forest Course, Hole 9, Par 5 - At #THPStaffProto - After a good drive and layup, I had a 9 iron into the green in the fairway, but I NEEDED to put the shot on the green in order to put the match away for THP and get us a point, AND there was a ton of water all down the left side, so COULD NOT miss left. Luckily I hit a good one and two putted for par to win the match! Unfortunate that we lost the overall contest, but I did manage to get 2 points for Team THP so I'm reasonably proud of my performance.

The best shot I probably hit all year was a 3h from 215 or so out that I put to few feet playing up in VT. One of the birdies I'm most proud of this year.

After that, the shot from the junk I took on 12 at The Ranch during regional rivalry. It wasn't the best shot I've ever hit, but got WCBM and I back in the hole and we eventually won our match on the back 9.

#1 - April 29, 2016. WeKoPa Saguaro, #5. Par 3, playing 149. Prep for Gauntlet. HIO. Was posting live as I was playing. My only eagle of the year.

#2 - Needed to drain a 20 ft putt for birdie, to win my flight in the Member Guest tourney at my club. R to L uphill putt, drained it! Won the flight by one point.
#2a - In a scramble, I drained a 90 ft putt (or some ridiculously long putt) for birdie.

That was a ton of fun w/ you updating real time.

Ive been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to create a thread for it.

What are the best 2 shots you hit in all of 2016? What course? What hole? What situation? Pictures? Do your best to describe the best 2 shots you hit throughout the entire year.

My top two are pretty easy to pick out.

#1: CogHill - Deubsdread #12 was laying 465yds Par 4
The drive went into the first fairway bunker on the right. Was left with a 205yd approach from a fairway bunker with about a 3' lip. The shot played slightly uphill and was essentially a forced carry over the gully with the creek. I took out a 5 iron and thought I hit it fairly well but couldn't tell where it landed as it was into the sunset late afternoon. I honestly thought it had went through the green or was in the rough on the right. After looking around for 4-5 minutes my buddy yells: "did you even bother to check the hole?".....NO!....why would I do that. He walks over and it was in the cuP! Eagle 2!. I was in shock.

#2: TruBlue Golf Club #4 505yd Par 5
Less spectacular but this past year in #TheCup I was paired with Lemmiwinks against Clutch42 and TylerShean from Callaway. It was a pretty close front nine match but we were down by a hole or two with after 3. I knew I couldn't hit driver as it would go through the fairway if I missed right. We were playing shamble I believe. Lemmi's drive was in the center but too far back for either of us to go for it in two. I was further but through the fairway into the pine needles next to a tree. Lemmi and I discussed it and chose my ball. Lemmi punched out to the middle of the fairway right and for some crazy reason I was confident with a 3wood from 245 (roughly) off the pine needles that had to carry water short to get on in two. Sometimes you just need to hit what your comfortable with. We won the hole!.....lost the mach.
4greenf_True_Blue_Golf_Club_of_Myrtle_Beach.jpg

I was fortunate to witness the 2nd shot, one of the best shots I've seen!

1 - Second group to tee off on day 2 of #TheGauntlet so we had a nice crowd. The first hole on We-Ko-Pa Cholla is a 332 yard par 4 with a waste area running up the left side of the hole with the fairway snaking around said waste area to the right. I pull out my OG Heavenwood, and pump one out over the waste area with what was probably my best shot of that entire event. I recall JB saying, "Do you think you hit that thing high enough?" It was a flex worth moment for sure :D.

2 - There are actually two from Poppy Hills here. The first was a PW from 155 and to date is the closest I've come to a HIO. Honorable mention goes to a tee shot on I had on #12 at Poppy Hills with my HW, which is the best shot I have hit with the thing. It's a shortish par 4 (370), slightly downhill and I absolutely murdered it. We couldn't find it at first and then Mark_UK says, 'Is that it by the greenside bunker?' It damn sure was! Not sure of the carry, but I got a ridiculous amount of roll. In true hacker fashion, I bladed my pitch shot over the green, hahaha!

zfFYL3hl.jpg

Last edited:
Their have been quite a few good shots but the two that are most etched in my mind is the one I pitched it in the cup on the second bounce from 25 yds out for a birdie. The second stands out simply because the 4-some that was playing behind me stood up out of the carts applauded my drive shot on a 200 yd par 3 hole which was a high arching shot that hit the flag on the pin. That was the first time anyone has ever applauded a shot of mine.

The best shot I probably hit all year was a 3h from 215 or so out that I put to few feet playing up in VT. One of the birdies I'm most proud of this year.

After that, the shot from the junk I took on 12 at The Ranch during regional rivalry. It wasn't the best shot I've ever hit, but got WCBM and I back in the hole and we eventually won our match on the back 9.

Your hybo shot on #1 on the 3rd 9 with an eagle look was HUGE too.

THP event? Sinking the par putt after amsmith chipped it close in our second match in Kickoff Classic to capture the point.

Non THP a couple of weeks ago from 110 out i put my ball mark an inch from the cup and the ball was a couple feet from the hole

Your hybo shot on #1 on the 3rd 9 with an eagle look was HUGE too.

THP event? Sinking the par putt after amsmith chipped it close in our second match in Kickoff Classic to capture the point.

Non THP a couple of weeks ago from 110 out i put my ball mark an inch from the cup and the ball was a couple feet from the hole

I was going back and forth between the two hybrid shots for my choices there. If I'd made that putt, I would have probably put that one ahead. Still would have been rolled by the beast that was greggdrews though. :(

Shot #1: Par 3, 3rd hole, roughly 170 yards downhill with a big right to left slope. My opponent went first and stuck it on the green to about 10 foot. I step up with my 6 iron, confidence is high............boom!

IMG_20161003_093707.jpg

Stuck it in for a birdie and went onto win my match 4&3.

Shot #2: Local course, par 4. Tee shot is facing this mammoth uphill slope. I go with my 6 iron and pull it left towards some trees at the top of the hill. Unsure if it made it, I hit a provisional. Make the trek up the hill to find it's just got through and I've got a shot. I take out my 5 iron and just hit it, no swing thoughts, no anxiety, nothing. Absolutely nailed it, straight onto the green to about 12 foot, 2 putt for par to win the hole and me and my playing partner go on to tie the match from there, having been 5 down at 1 point!

I think mine would both be putts. My ball striking and driving has been mediocre, but the flatstick was good this year.

#1 was in our NorCal vs SoCal event at Monarch Dunes in Nipomo, CA. I made a R-L 75 footer for birdie (we lasered it). Rolling, rolling, rolling GOOD!

#2 was pretty similar but was at Darkhorse in Auburn, CA. Made a double breaking 50 footer for birdie.

Ace! Last April, Larchmont Golf Course, Missoula Montana. Hole number 7, playing 180, 6 iron.

13076546_10153426845897032_6917178155382733689_n.jpg

"Near miss", clanked it off of the stick. September, Old Works Golf Club, Anaconda Montana. Hole number 17, playing 175 downhill, 7 iron.

12118965_10153034623537032_851716778936961979_n.jpg

Had a few eagles, chip-ins, miraculous shots, but I think these two were the best.

1) just happened about three weeks ago. #8 leilehua 535 par 5. First shot down the fairway. Pull out my 3 wood from 245 and take a mighty swing. Ball pushes left into the trees about 30 yards short. Then BAM, ball goes off a irrigation green box and now sits on the front of the green. From jail to eage putt and ended up with a birdie.

2)#3 wolf creek. 210 uphill. If anybody's played wolf creek you know about #3. Blind shot to a par 3 is never fun. 4h to 2ft. If I remember right I could barely see the very top of the flag.

I think mine would both be putts. My ball striking and driving has been mediocre, but the flatstick was good this year.

#1 was in our NorCal vs SoCal event at Monarch Dunes in Nipomo, CA. I made a R-L 75 footer for birdie (we lasered it). Rolling, rolling, rolling GOOD!

#2 was pretty similar but was at Darkhorse in Auburn, CA. Made a double breaking 50 footer for birdie.

That putt at Monarch Dunes was AWESOME!!!

1. THP Ambition, day 1, Thunderhawk GC Hole #4. I was partnered with ozzman, playing against 441 and Lord Bryon in a shamble match. I absolutely hammered my drive in the wind an rain leaving us with about 105 in. I completely chunk my second shot in the sloppy conditions, and wind up about 55 yds short of the green. By time I get up my 3rd shot JB is parked green side watching. I'm lying in a low wet part of the fairway, really irritated at myself, trying to get ready to fly a half wedge over a shelf to a back pin and somehow make par. I managed to clip it clean, fly it exactly where I was looking and watch it roll in after a hop and a skip. I'm certainly not proud of the second shot, but it was a pretty cool way to end the hole. To make things even more memorable, Byron made an amazing 3 to halve.

2. I've had a couple of other (similar length) hole outs this year, but for number 2 I have to go with a second shot during the League Battle Royale tournament at Royal St. Patrick's. We were playing best ball on the back 9, and again it was a cold and rainy day. I was slightly heated on the 14th tee (a 511 yd par 5: https://www.royalstpatricks.com/tour-of-the-links.html). I hit a pull on a really aggressive line and wound up in the second bunker on the left side of the fairway probably 8 ft behind the lip. Game golf tells me I had 227 left (http://www.gamegolf.com/player/blakehall/round/1128187?hole_id=26806753) in a 15 mph wind with sideways rain. Since we're playing best ball, and my partner was in good shape (and popping) I decided to hit a 3 hybrid. The shot came out a perfect draw, curling just around a mound in front of the bunker. Because of the weather I couldn't follow the ball flight, but I said something like "that's really good if it got there". We got up to the green and it was probably about 10 inches short from dropping in. The only sad part was that if my partner hadn't made birdie it would've been worth about $80 in skins.

In no particular order. Odd that it was 5 irons both times.
From the Regional Rivalry at The Ranch this summer I'm not sure of the hole but it was a dl left with a house being built right at the dl. Russtopher put his drive center cut in the middle of the dl leaving us about 185 downhill. It was either murder a 5i or a take something off a 4h. I wasn't interested in either to be frank. Large bunker guarding front of the green but there was a nice bailout short/right that would leave us in good shape for a chip onto the green. We talked it over and decided that would be our best/safest shot. My natural shot is a fade so I aimed at the center of the green and flushed the 5i. Majestic fade that landed right where we were going for.

Playing local muni with HASO and SoAtrocious this summer after work I had just extracted myself from a spot of bother on a par 5 which left me 178 to a back right pin protected by a bunker. I said to Alex and Jesse this calls for a 5i fade to get back there. Aimed at the center of the green and put a good swing on it. Bled off to the right as needed and wound up pin high 10 feet away. Drained the bird.

1. SW from 105 yards to about 12 feet on 16 to a front pin just over the water at RTJ Grand National during the Kickoff Classic. Hit numerous SW's closer than that during the year but this one came during the heat of competition at a THP event after my other 3 playing partners hit balls into the water.

2. Making a 20 foot uphill left to right breaking putt for bidie on 18 at my home course to break 70 for the first time in 5 or 6 years.

This one on a par3 at my home course

Also a 3 wood 2nd I hit to about three feet on a par 5. It was a 90 degree dogleg and I carried a stand of pines. Didn't see it land, but was pleasantly surprised when I got to the green. I made the putt.

1. 18* hybrid 226 yards to 3 feet on a par 5 for a near kick in eagle. Draino

2. 52* gap wedge 120 yards to 6 inches for a kick in birdie. Draino

Back