The best 2 shots you hit in 2016

Both shots came in my department's scramble. I was playing a course I had seen only once before.

1) Tee shot on a 320 yard par 4. Green was hidden from the tee on the other side of a small hill. A small intermittent stream with a bunch of trash around it began at 280 off the tee. Green was probably about 5 feet above the tee, all told. Caught my drive dead solid perfect and it flew straight over the 150 post in the center of the fairway. Everyone saw it and was excited. The one guy in our group who knew the course said, "That might be too far." It was. We never found my ball. Best drive of the year, maybe ever.

2) Our A player had put his drive in the middle of the fairway, 105 yards from the flag. I put a gap wedge 18 inches past the pin, It hit the green and stopped.

Mine are two very different shots, and neither were that spectacular. One was on a double dog leg par 5. I topped my drive, and it didn't go far at all. Because of the layout I didn't have much choice but to hit a short iron, then try to get around the first bend to the left. I was then about 215 out as the crow flies, but that had to be almost all carry as there was water, then bunkers guarding the front and right side (my approach side) of the green. I figured I could hit down the fairway and have a 100ish yard approach, or try to go for it and hope to land in a bunker to try for a sand save. I hit my 3 hybrid, and landed the sucker right on the green. That's a good deal further than I usually hit that club, and I have no idea how I got it to actually stop there.

The other was a par 3 (which are my kryptonite). It was about 160 yards over water most of the way, and the vast majority of the green sloped back toward the water. If you were long you were on a steep slope, also tilting back toward the water making for a very delicate chip/pitch to avoid getting wet. I already had in my mind that I'd be in the water one way or another. I pulled a 6 iron, hoped for the best, and hit it about 12 feet from the hole. Again, not a spectacular shot by any means, but a huge victory for my ridiculously weak golf brain.

Hole in one on a short par 3 and a 300 yard drive to the middle of the fairway on a 408 yard par 4. Those are probably my favorites, but one of my best happened when I bounced off a tree on a drive, short par 4....ball went left, rolled down a hill, way down; and stopped near the OOB marker down by a creek. I went down there with my 8 iron and hit a perfect shot that went all the way back up the hill, over some tall trees and flew the green. Turned a fail on the tee into a birdie putt. Ironically, the same thing happened again a couple of months later, and I pulled off the same shot again. Weird. Can't remember if I sank the birds or not.

My 2 best shots came on the same hole at Bow Creek while out trying out some different clubs recently. Hole 8 par 5. Hit driver off the tee into the wind thinking that the ball would come up short of the creek at the walking/cart bridge. OH NO....it took one bounce and went over the bank into the creek about 60 feet to the left of the bridge. Took a drop, hit my Cleveland strong 5 wood with a big hook around the treeline across the creek. The ball took a couple bounces and stopped dead just short the front fringe. Tight muddy(ish) lie about 55 feet from the pin. I figured it would be a putter because my chipping has been atrocious. I hit the ball a tad too hard, but it took the slow break nicely and rattled off the pin into the cup.

Birdie!

No witnesses........:crying:

What would become my last round with my dad I hit a 40 yard pitch for my first and only eagle. Hit a bunch of good shots that day.

The second was probably the drive to start off THPAmbition. Nothing real extraordinary about it; didn't crush it or anything but it was right down the middle with everyone watching and my nerves were all over the place.

Really the only shot that sticks out to me was during a tournament with my brother this year. We both missed the green on a par 4 with our second shots and I was about 20 yards right off the green. I had to hit under a tree that was about 10 yards in front of me to an elevated green. I played it absolutely perfect and went under the tree, bounced it off the side hill, hopped up to the green and settled about 4 feet from the hole. That was one of those that actually worked out the way I saw it in my head.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#17 tee on the Clive course at the Hideaway. I effing murdered that duck.

#18 tee on the Clive course at the Hideaway. Absolutely rip a driver into a small landing area covered by bunkers in the front and water to the right.

#17 tee on the Clive course at the Hideaway. I effing murdered that duck.

#18 tee on the Clive course at the Hideaway. Absolutely rip a driver into a small landing area covered by bunkers in the front and water to the right.

Wish I could have seen that tee shot on 18. Straight up clutch city. Love it. Shot to remember forever.

Can really only think of one right now. THPTeam Ambition hole #14 at Thunderhawk, Jose hit the drive and I hit a GW from 98 yards and leave it to about 5 foot for jose to knock in and take the hole for us. Easily my best shot of the year.

Nothing really jumps out to be my best shots of the year, but I was lucky to witness Hashtag Chad have a combo of insanity it was on par 5 number 9 at True Blue Against Ryan.Humphries and Rc.11. Chad and I both found The Fairway off the tee and this is when the magic happen. I hit a "safe" shot to clear the force carry and I end up just shy of the bunker. Chad says, " Well I have to go for this one to get us on in 2" Chad put Duck Hooks this shot left and ends up about 60 out from the green.... His next shot was a blind shot, uphill, over bushes and his ball was roughly 3/4 covered in the rough. Chad hit a lob wedge flop shot that carried just about perfect, to and stuck it close to the pin. All I can remember after that was watching Rc11's head explode and telling Hashtag that he loved golfing with him and hated it at the same time . We ended up winning the hole and taking that 9 hole match.

Can really only think of one right now. THPTeam Ambition hole #14 at Thunderhawk, Jose hit the drive and I hit a GW from 98 yards and leave it to about 5 foot for jose to knock in and take the hole for us. Easily my best shot of the year.

The 3 wood you hit on hole 3 sticks out to me. That was sweet, drawing right at the pin.

1) shot at my local course the blue ocean golf course on the sunshine coast. On hole no 8, after an awesome drive, took a shot at my 3 wood just trying to get it as close as I could and it did ! Bounced in front of the green and ran for that flagstick to stop a foot on the right leaving me a putt for my first eagle
9b3373682b37234c9390a7e49be7c962.jpg

2) Hole number six of that same golf course. Missed my 8 iron drive going left on the par 3. But the chipped from my uphill lie to a downslope green going right and it just rolled forever with the most perfect line straight in the hole for birdie.

I'm in my first year of golf, starting at 28 I never taught I'd find a sport that would give me such excitement and joy as I used to have skateboarding ! Thanks golf !

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Really fun thread, and I've enjoyed reading all the responses. I'm going to slightly cheat and list 3 for different reasons.

1. My first hole in one in September. 168 yard par 3. Perfect 7 iron, watched it roll in like a putt. Never thought I'd get one.

2. My second shot on my final hole in my PB round of 71. I had around 160, knowing I needed to make par to shoot below par for the first time ever. Absolutely flushed it to about 3 feet.

3. Last Wednesday during singles at #TheGrandaddy, on my second to last hole, holding a 1-Up lead, with enormous pressure, hit a solid PW from around 120 to 15 feet. Set me up to make par and close out my match.

#1 - 180y par 3. Watched the greenskeeper move the pin to a new position from tee box. Hit a pure 6i and thought it had a chance... it lipped out. When I got to the green I was able to see the dew trail that went DIRECTLY OVER the plug from yesterday's pin (that the guy had just moved while I watched) then lipped out of today's pin. Sigh.

2) Drained a downhill left to right 15 footer on the last hole to force a playoff with both 4 man scramble teams watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 wood you hit on hole 3 sticks out to me. That was sweet, drawing right at the pin.

Didn't even think about that one that would easily be added to make my two best shots of the year!

1) I had a side-downhill lie from 113 yds out and holed it with my SW. The hole was tucked away so I had no idea i holed it neither did the guys I was playing with. We were looking off the green for it and I was thinking I hit the ball right on the stick theres no way it could of went off the green. Found it in the cup! First par 4 Eagle for me.

2) I had a 130yd shot into an 30' or so elevated green with the pin location in the front. If you land short and hit the fringe on the front it will roll back down 30' into the bunker. I'd had this shot before and thought I hit it perfect but I nailed the fringe and rolled back into the bunker. This time I had 5mph wind behind me so I went for the same GW shot again and landed it right next to the stick. 6" tap in for Bird. :D

This one doesn't count but I'll post it anyways.
I pulled my drive off the tee then I had roughly 50 yds into the green but I had a super awkward angle to work the ball into the green. I had to hit the shot and land it just behind the front bunker and have enough spin on it to settle quickly. Well, the first shot I hit too far, but safe, and when I play by myself I hit several practice balls to dial in certain shots if the course is empty. I dropped a second ball down and tried it again, hit it right where I wanted and it bounced 2 times, then dropped in the hole. I was super stoked but I couldn't count it on the scorecord! :banghead: I would of been -3 after the first two holes !

Well, I can name one for sure. 24th hole of city tournament, I have a couple stroke lead as I recall, with really two competitors making a run. After hitting a shot well left on a par 3, my ball is magically still in bounds, but trees are blocking my shot to the pin. So I play to the far edge of the green so that I at least still have a putt at it (just trying to take double bogey out of play).

The shot of the year for me was then the putt. Probably 20-25 feet, maybe a 6-12" of break (don't recall exactly), but I sank it for par. My competitors both bogeyed, and that pretty well sealed the deal since there were only 3 holes left. There was nothing spectacular about the putt. I've made putts like that plenty of times. But it was the putt in that moment that made it the shot of the year.

I guess for a second shot. Was playing best shot some day. My team unfortunately had a string of poor drives. It was a dog leg right, and we were way short of the dog leg and clear on the right side of the fairway, maybe 160 yards out. Trees, naturally, fill the inside of the dog leg. We only had a one stroke lead. I believe I had my playing partners play first, so that I could see if we at least had a safe shot to try and save par. Anyways, safe shot happened, decent chance of saving par. Ball was on a bit of an upslope. I pulled out a 7 iron, which 1) normally would not get over the trees since I'm not a particularly high ball hitter and 2) would not normally maintain height long enough to carry the trees. I used that upslope for everything it was worth, put the ball a bit up in the stance, had a bit more wrist action, and wouldn't you know it, I got over the trees, and landed on the green, had about 7 or 8 feet for birdie. That sealed our win. It's always fun to try and execute a different kind of shot.

~Rock

1- hit a 15' putt to win my flight in The Northern Match play tournament. Would've went to extra holes if I missed
2- drained a 145 yard pw. Was awesome, but still don't have a hole in one.

After thinking about all the shots I played it's pretty weird that they both happened on the same hole.

The par 5 15th hole at my home course.

1. I had hit a poor drive and ended up having to hit heavenwood just to get to the layup area, I flushed it and it carried further than I wanted leaving me an odd distance for the third shot.

The green is guarded by a washout just a few paces short and it's elevated so anything just short of the green will roll back into the hazard. I had a 40 something yard shot to a pin tucked just a few paces on the green making it tough to get close without risking coming up short and in the hazard.

Took my Smart Sole wedge and hit a nice clean shot that was sky high...it landed just on the edge of the green and disappeared into the cup on the first hop for an eagle!

2. Same hole in my club's Tuesday night scramble this summer, we had 198 to the pin and it was playing into a decent wind. I hit my 4 hybrid and tried to flight it down slightly....the ball took off, never left the flag...the whole group was talking to it asking for it to carry...it landed just on the green and took a couple of hops and settled about 4 inches from the cup for a tap in eagle.

I'll do my two best in competition and let anyone argue who remembers something better hahaha

1 - Boulder Creek - #7 - Tight 9 hole match closing in on the final holes and a chance to win Regional Rivalry on the line - I hit a 9 iron that tracked the entire way, bounced in front of the pin just beyond it, and spun back to a few inches.

Here's the hole to give you an idea of the difficulty... And pin was front right. (photo credit to random googler)

img_3229.jpg

2 - Hole 17 - Dye Course - The Hideaway - All square with a mountain of pressure, 200 yarder with jail everywhere... Executed one of my best long irons of the year and it ended up winning us the hole - It might be the best under pressure shot I've hit in my life. (video credit to JB)

Well, I can name one for sure. 24th hole of city tournament, I have a couple stroke lead as I recall, with really two competitors making a run. After hitting a shot well left on a par 3, my ball is magically still in bounds, but trees are blocking my shot to the pin. So I play to the far edge of the green so that I at least still have a putt at it (just trying to take double bogey out of play).

The shot of the year for me was then the putt. Probably 20-25 feet, maybe a 6-12" of break (don't recall exactly), but I sank it for par. My competitors both bogeyed, and that pretty well sealed the deal since there were only 3 holes left. There was nothing spectacular about the putt. I've made putts like that plenty of times. But it was the putt in that moment that made it the shot of the year.

I guess for a second shot. Was playing best shot some day. My team unfortunately had a string of poor drives. It was a dog leg right, and we were way short of the dog leg and clear on the right side of the fairway, maybe 160 yards out. Trees, naturally, fill the inside of the dog leg. We only had a one stroke lead. I believe I had my playing partners play first, so that I could see if we at least had a safe shot to try and save par. Anyways, safe shot happened, decent chance of saving par. Ball was on a bit of an upslope. I pulled out a 7 iron, which 1) normally would not get over the trees since I'm not a particularly high ball hitter and 2) would not normally maintain height long enough to carry the trees. I used that upslope for everything it was worth, put the ball a bit up in the stance, had a bit more wrist action, and wouldn't you know it, I got over the trees, and landed on the green, had about 7 or 8 feet for birdie. That sealed our win. It's always fun to try and execute a different kind of shot.

~Rock

I think we're of like mind on what makes for a "best shot". For me, if you are in position/have a good lie... and end up as you'd like, that's a good shot. For me its when you're in a tough spot and you have to hit an exact shot and do it. There's nothing as thrilling as that and that's what makes those types of shots the "best shots."

I'll do my two best in competition and let anyone argue who remembers something better hahaha

1 - Boulder Creek - #7 - Tight 9 hole match closing in on the final holes and a chance to win Regional Rivalry on the line - I hit a 9 iron that tracked the entire way, bounced in front of the pin just beyond it, and spun back to a few inches.

Here's the hole to give you an idea of the difficulty... And pin was front right. (photo credit to random googler)

img_3229.jpg

2 - Hole 17 - Dye Course - The Hideaway - All square with a mountain of pressure, 200 yarder with jail everywhere... Executed one of my best long irons of the year and it ended up winning us the hole - It might be the best under pressure shot I've hit in my life. (video credit to JB)

Thats awesome Dan. The Dye 17th will always be stuck in my memory after I closed out my match with # in the GD2. That hole is just so incredible and difficult. Two years later and it's still the best par I ever made!

Both came earlier this week

1. 30ft putt for eagle
2. Flushed a hybrid out of a fairway bunker

1. Chip in on #10 of the Dye at the Hideaway just over the edge of the bunker and rolled it in to take the hole.

2. 30 Ft putt on #16 of The Dye course at the Hideaway. Was a right to left breaker downhill that I though I hit far to hard but found the back of the cup.

I am sure I had some more spectacular shots throughout the year but these stick out to me as the best shots I have hit given the circumstances

#2 A short par 4 I was able to drive the green and leave myself with a 5 foot putt for eagle.

Given the situation best shot of the year is during the Granddaddy Pinehurst match. Clive #1(seventh in the match, shotgun start) par five. Ethan and Jeff were about 100 yards past us, we had our 3rd shot 140 to the flag and I stuck it to 4 feet setting up the Cherub Faced Assassin for a putt to close out the match.

Back