The Biking Thread

That looks like a really enjoyable place to ride!

It really was. I knew this lake existed but I had never been to it before, so I decided to do some exploring. The path has some fun twists and turns that were really fun on the bike. 😂

I've been a mountain biker since the '80's. I was deep into and enduro during the 2000's, and then kind of eased back since then. No better way to feel the breeze, see nature, and maybe have a little fun on the downhills ✌. Keeps you a kid a heart.

We've got some amazing trails and backcountry roads around here. Vermont and NH are incredible riding.

Decided to sign up for a bike race in December.

It's a 100 miler.

I should probably start training.

Decided to sign up for a bike race in December.

It's a 100 miler.

I should probably start training.

There are not enough padded shorts in the world to make that comfortable haha.

Speaking of padded shorts, these tan lines are getting out of control. Had a nice 15 mile ride today.

There are not enough padded shorts in the world to make that comfortable haha.

Speaking of padded shorts, these tan lines are getting out of control. Had a nice 15 mile ride today.
Awesome ride!!!

Had a good 10 mile ride today, felt good as it has been a week since riding last

76* at 0830, 23 miles later at 1000, 89*.
Gonna start earlier next ride on Thursday.
Skipped a lot of riding this summer due to heat and a 10 day illness.
Good to be back in the saddle!

Love this time of year for rising in the evening. Felt amazing last night, especially cruising down the beach roads.

Going to need lights on the bike soon, though.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3
Been golfing since I was 5, but mountain biking since high school. Still ride a lot. It is a great workout. It is totally different than golf, but also some similarities. Mountain biking is very challenging and never easy, just like golf.

Love this time of year for rising in the evening. Felt amazing last night, especially cruising down the beach roads.

Going to need lights on the bike soon, though.

Been golfing since I was 5, but mountain biking since high school. Still ride a lot. It is a great workout. It is totally different than golf, but also some similarities. Mountain biking is very challenging and never easy, just like golf.
My ride above was on a full suspension MTB.

My ride above was on a full suspension MTB.
I still have a full squish (Specialized Camber 29), thinking about going to a hardtail for my next bike. My MTB riding has mellowed considerably, I spend a lot more time on asphalt but I don't want to go full roadie.

I need more hours in the day so I can get more rides in. I miss my bike and this weather couldn't be more perfect for it.

I need more hours in the day so I can get more rides in. I miss my bike and this weather couldn't be more perfect for it.
With the sun going down earlier, I am missing my evening bike rides as well.

I think I'd gladly trade my hardtail in on a slightly larger full suspension mtb than my stumpjumper. It's an S3 and I fit an S4 better... but the S3 is a good bike for my girl to ride.

After mostly being away from cycling these past couple of years, I got back on my bike last week and have ridden six of the last eight days. Two of those days were inside but normally in Florida I can ride outside. I have the time and really enjoy how cycling gets me outside more hours per day. I'm giving some serious thought to getting a new road/gravel ebike as I've ridden a couple newer ones that my buddies have and they are a lot of fun. They have really come a long way from just five years ago, and I love how many of them have zero resistance from the drive/motor system if you just want to shut off the assist(or remove the battery) and use it like a regular bike.

After mostly being away from cycling these past couple of years, I got back on my bike last week and have ridden six of the last eight days. Two of those days were inside but normally in Florida I can ride outside. I have the time and really enjoy how cycling gets me outside more hours per day. I'm giving some serious thought to getting a new road/gravel ebike as I've ridden a couple newer ones that my buddies have and they are a lot of fun. They have really come a long way from just five years ago, and I love how many of them have zero resistance from the drive/motor system if you just want to shut off the assist(or remove the battery) and use it like a regular bike.
These days I am rarely on my road bike any more, just not safe with our winter visitors. 90% of my riding is on my gravel bike, love it.

These days I am rarely on my road bike any more, just not safe with our winter visitors. 90% of my riding is on my gravel bike, love it.
Safety is one of the main reasons that I‘m looking at gravel bikes. Feeling safe while cycling on the roads is a challenge during the peak winter season. I can get a killer deal on a Pivot evault from an old buddy who owns a bike shop and I’m close to pulling the trigger.

Safety is one of the main reasons that I‘m looking at gravel bikes. Feeling safe while cycling on the roads is a challenge during the peak winter season. I can get a killer deal on a Pivot evault from an old buddy who owns a bike shop and I’m close to pulling the trigger.
In my spare time, I own a bike shop as well. Specialized, Cannondale and BMC dealer.

In my spare time, I own a bike shop as well. Specialized, Cannondale and BMC dealer.
You must be very busy! My buddy owned his bike shop for a decade or so before it got to be too much and he had to quit his ”real” job and go full time with his bike shop. Specialized, Cannondale and BMC are all fantastic brands. One of my buddies has a crazy light Cannondale hardtail with a Lefty Ocho that I rode recently and it was the best hard tail I’ve ever been on.

I’m loyal to my buddy after buying 7 or 8 bikes from him over the last 20 years, otherwise I’d make the drive up to Sarasota and look you up. I pulled the trigger on the Pivot gravel bike this morning. What’s your honest expert opinion of these components? My price for this build is under $5k FWIW. When I begin the inevitable upgrades, where should I start? I’ve never had a gravel bike so I’m excited to see the new places this one will take me. I don’t know exactly what the trails I’ll predominantly be riding will look like so things like tire width/type are up in the air. I have a lot of exploring to do. :)

E91A8DF7-C6F3-4616-85FD-C76109F3D646.jpeg

Last edited:
You must be very busy! My buddy owned his bike shop for a decade or so before it got to be too much and he had to quit his ”real” job and go full time with his bike shop. Specialized, Cannondale and BMC are all fantastic brands. One of my buddies has a crazy light Cannondale hardtail with a Lefty Ocho that I rode recently and it was fantastic, the best hard tail I’ve ever been on.

I’m loyal to my buddy after buying 7 or 8 bikes from him over the last 20 years, otherwise I’d make the drive up to Sarasota and look you up. I pulled the trigger on the Pivot gravel bike this morning. What’s your honest expert opinion of these components? My price for this build is under $5k FWIW. When I begin the inevitable upgrades, where should I start? I’ve never had a gravel bike so I’m excited to see the new places this one will take me. I don’t know exactly what the trails I’ll predominantly be riding will look like so things like tire width/type are up in the air. I have a lot of exploring to do. :)

View attachment 9243577
That's a super solid build, especially under $5k. I'm assuming the Di2 battery is in the seatpost? Lower mounted Di2 batteries on gravel/mtb always worry me due to rain/mud. For Florida gravel you will more than likely want to go with a wider tire, I run 48's as during our less rainy months it can get super soft and sandy, so going with a lower pressure and wider tire gives a nice ride.

Seeing this thread pop up bums me out. My Giant has been on my dumb trainer inside and I pretty much haven't touched it in over 2 months. I've been fighting bronchitis since late December and my lung capacity has been zilch. I'm finally starting to feel better this past week, I'm hoping to get back in the saddle next week if all goes well.

Back