The Caddy Alignment Check

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
I know it's within the rules, but does it bug anyone else and should the rules be changed about it? I tend to see it mostly on the LPGA, but it feels almost too infringing on coaching during the round. Heck these people are the best in the world and i think it should be part of the game that they figure out alignment for themselves.

The caddy should be there to help navigate the course and give you information about the shot details but not to aid in the actual execution of the swing.

Is it just me?

I have no issues with it and having a swing set of eyes to get aligned to target is so,stung im wouldn't mind having. I look at it no differently than getting advice on reading a putt, getting yardage and club selection.

i don't think it slows the game down anymore than if they didn't do it and not all players are doing it

Yes it drives me nuts.

It's awful. It would be different if they were lined up wrong. The only thing the caddie ever says is "yep".

It's awful. It would be different if they were lined up wrong. The only thing the caddie ever says is "yep".

I never even thought about that, i don't think i've ever seen a player actually have to move off where they setup.

It is no different than having your caddy help you read a putt, is it???

Basically, under the ROG, the player and caddie are considered a team so I have no objection to a caddie helping the player or confirming for the player they have proper alignment. Adds to the players confidence which makes for better golf.

It is no different than having your caddy help you read a putt, is it???

i think it is, because a caddy will give you a yardage that you want, or help you determine a line on the putt. But it should be up to the player to execute the mechanics of that shot. Proper alignment is part of the swing sequence imo, and i think its just greasy if a caddy was to also align you to your putting line instead of just giving you info about where the line is.

i think it is, because a caddy will give you a yardage that you want, or help you determine a line on the putt. But it should be up to the player to execute the mechanics of that shot. Proper alignment is part of the swing sequence imo, and i think its just greasy if a caddy was to also align you to your putting line instead of just giving you info about where the line is.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just don't see the difference. Help is help to me. I respect your point of view though!!

Of all the things to worry about, this doesn't bug me. Even if the caddy helps align the player, the player still has to execute the mechanics of the swing. Plus, who knows if the caddy is even right.

It annoys me as well. Might as well let them lay down alignment sticks.

Only happens on the LPGA for some reason.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree, don't like it, I think caddies should be forbidden from directly helping the swing in any way, including putts, give the player the read verbally, give the player a target line using a distant tree or something, but do not stand right behind them and dictate the line, it's lame.

I agree, don't like it, I think caddies should be forbidden from directly helping the swing in any way, including putts, give the player the read verbally, give the player a target line using a distant tree or something, but do not stand right behind them and dictate the line, it's lame.
How are they dictating the swing? they're just dictating alignment. It's up to the player to execute the swing.

It annoys me as well. Might as well let them lay down alignment sticks.

Only happens on the LPGA for some reason.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Technically you can lay a club down (not an alignment stick) to line up with, and then toss it away before you make your stroke and it's a legal play. But again, we're talking about the best players in the world who i'm sure should have no issues with this part of their game come tournament time. I understand it's not cheating and us amateurs could do it to with a club used as alignment, but it definitely trickles over to one of those "greasy" things about golf. The fact that the caddie still needs to step away off the line before the stroke is made seems like it just skirts the rules.

Technically you can lay a club down (not an alignment stick) to line up with, and then toss it away before you make your stroke and it's a legal play. But again, we're talking about the best players in the world who i'm sure should have no issues with this part of their game come tournament time. I understand it's not cheating and us amateurs could do it to with a club used as alignment, but it definitely trickles over to one of those "greasy" things about golf. The fact that the caddie still needs to step away off the line before the stroke is made seems like it just skirts the rules.
It doesn't skirt the rules though. It fully adheres to the rules. It's allowed. Why not use it? That is just silly to pass up help, whenever it's allowed.

I have no problem with this. Like others have said, they still have to execute the shot for themselves. Plus, they usually are right one to begin with and PGA Tour Pro's strategize with their caddies as to the shot they want to use, there's nothing to different other than they don't have to have a verbal verification they are lined correctly, that's all.

How are they dictating the swing? they're just dictating alignment. It's up to the player to execute the swing.

Getting the alignment right is part of the swing, why not allow the use of an alignment tool then? that's what the caddie is anyway.

Getting the alignment right is part of the swing, why not allow the use of an alignment tool then? that's what the caddie is anyway.
They do. You can use a club from the bag to align your feet. All is golden as long as the club is removed before the swing.

Doesn't really bother me when I see that. Heck, I would like to have a caddie to line me up.

The first time I noticed it was watching Lydia Ko. Never bothered me

It doesn't skirt the rules though. It fully adheres to the rules. It's allowed. Why not use it? That is just silly to pass up help, whenever it's allowed.

you're right, and i agree. It's definitely within the rules and good on them for taking every advantage possible. I still cannot pinpoint why it irks me and a few others though. I'm assuming that i'm just so used to having watched golf for so long where it doesn't happen, and now that it is it seemed almost "unfair" although it really isn't.

Golf's just a silly game with some silly rules sometimes lol. You can't keep yourself loose and warmed up swinging a club with a 3oz donut ring on it while waiting 15 minutes for a hole to clear, but you can have someone, or something align you to your shot as long as it's removed before you make the swing. love this game! haha

Last edited:
Yes it drives me nuts.
This exactly. I don't care if it's allowed by the rules or not. You're a freekin pro, you SHOULD be able to line up to your target without help!

This exactly. I don't care if it's allowed by the rules or not. You're a freekin pro, you SHOULD be able to line up to your target without help!
Pingman, the above is why it irks you. They're pros and should be able to. But because they employ a bag ape, and you don't, they can exploit that rule.
you're right, and i agree. It's definitely within the rules and good on them for taking every advantage possible. I still cannot pinpoint why it irks me and a few others though. I'm assuming that i'm just so used to having watched golf for so long where it doesn't happen, and now that it is it seemed almost "unfair" although it really isn't.

Golf's just a silly game with some silly rules sometimes lol. You can't keep yourself loose and warmed up swinging a club with a 3oz donut ring on it while waiting 15 minutes for a hole to clear, but you can have someone, or something align you to your shot as long as it's removed before you make the swing. love this game! haha

Pingman, the above is why it irks you. They're pros and should be able to. But because they employ a bag ape, and you don't, they can exploit that rule.

perhaps, but i could always ask whoever else is in the group to tell me where i'm aimed. Whether or not they're competent to do so, or willing to do so is another story lol. You're probably right tho, maybe it just bugs the people it does because we all have to go without it (for the most part).

I hate it but if I had a caddie playing in a tournament I would be doing the same thing, especially since I don't always line up right.

Back