The Car Shopping Thread

I've been a 4-door sedan guy for as long as I can remember. However, it's a pain to put golf clubs into a trunk. I think my next car will be a hatchback or SUV for that reason alone.

For what it's worth, my wife has a Flex and I have a Civic sedan. My clubs are far easier to get in and out of the Civic than the Flex. The Flex isn't wide enough to just lay them across, so I have to lay them length-wise. This is much more awkward to reach in and get in/out than sideways which, surprisingly, my Civic can handle because of the wheel well placement. The Civic is also lower. It really depends on the specific vehicle...

I've been a 4-door sedan guy for as long as I can remember. However, it's a pain to put golf clubs into a trunk. I think my next car will be a hatchback or SUV for that reason alone.

I just got the new 2015 Dodge Charger and my clubs fit fine. I remember back in '97 I got a 5 series BMW. What really sold me then was it had a diagram inside the trunk on how many golf bags it fit.

like others have said, not all hatchbacks are good with clubs, the way the wheels are placed on each side of the trunk narros it down quite a bit. I have had a focus, a golf and an elantra, and all 3 weren't wide enough for clubs, I had to fold the seats down to get my clubs in.

I can barely fit 3 golf bags (cart or stand) in the back of my 2013 BMW 535. I have a SM Sync which is big and hogs up a lot of space so obviously that doesn't help but modern driver lengths don't really don't help. I also don't want too many smelly golfers in my car so that's actually a bonus.

I guess that means I need to go back to a Tahoe/M3 combo. :devil:

Most hatchbacks and small SUVs have trouble with golf clubs laid across the cargo area. Shouldn't have a problem with most mid-sized sedans though.

So since you guys didn't seem to care for that BMW I posted earlier, what do you think would be the best used convertible I could get for around $15k? Best in terms of reliability, cost of ownership, looks and performance, oh and must have a back seat (wifes request).

So since you guys didn't seem to care for that BMW I posted earlier, what do you think would be the best used convertible I could get for around $15k? Best in terms of reliability, cost of ownership, looks and performance, oh and must have a back seat (wifes request).

Maybe a Mustang?

Maybe a Mustang?

Has a point there. There is a minor recall (non-performance) on them, but if you get a 2012 GT or newer, you'll have the 5.0 V8 in it and that's a more reliable and good performing engine. Has enough trunk space for a set of clubs PLUS luggage. Might be a little difficult finding a convertible that new with decent miles at your price point, but not impossible. I'd say a 2012 vert with average miles could be had for $20 to $25K. Higher miles and older could sneak down to your range.

I love my civic but it's so impractical .

Buddy of mine is a salesman at Toyota and he's been trying to get me back into a Tacoma for years and I have resisted. However I can get a great price (I know everyone says that but anything less than full retail on a taco is a good price) on a loaded 16.

I do like my civic but the manual is awful and the convenience of a truck is so nice.

My wife is going to kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my civic but it's so impractical .

Buddy of mine is a salesman at Toyota and he's been trying to get me back into a Tacoma for years and I have resisted. However I can get a great price (I know everyone says that but anything less than full retail on a taco is a good price) on a loaded 16.

I do like my civic but the manual is awful and the convenience of a truck is so nice.

My wife is going to kill me.

Worth it.

Agreed.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Agreed.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Was nice knowing ya

I just got the new 2015 Dodge Charger and my clubs fit fine. I remember back in '97 I got a 5 series BMW. What really sold me then was it had a diagram inside the trunk on how many golf bags it fit.

Ha! I had a 2002 5-series, and I remember that. I didn't play golf at the time, unfortunately. :)

86878-bmw-5-stowed-golf-bags-S2kJ.jpeg

My mom picked up a 650i GC yesterday. It should be a fun car to drive despite being pretty massive. She was able to get a 15 at a very steep discount, so the lease payments on it are shockingly reasonable considering the msrp on the vehicle. Still more than I would spend for a payment, but way less than I would have thought she could have leased it for.

I can barely fit 3 golf bags (cart or stand) in the back of my 2013 BMW 535. I have a SM Sync which is big and hogs up a lot of space so obviously that doesn't help but modern driver lengths don't really don't help. I also don't want too many smelly golfers in my car so that's actually a bonus.

I guess that means I need to go back to a Tahoe/M3 combo. :devil:

How has the '13 535 treated you?

It's on my short list. Getting something by the end of the year.

CPO 535i
CPO E350
CPO GS350
or new,
M235i (!!!)
'16 Accord Touring (it looks amazing and the features for the price...but ugh, fwd? ugh, again)

I like the A6 3.0 (possibly A7) and think they look incredible, but most people I know with Audis (which is several at work) have had so many problems. :( It's a shame, my wife used to have a TT Roadster 10 years ago and we didn't have a single issue.

Any idea what kind of money might be on the table for a brand new 2014 Camaro SS? A local dealer has one with pink stripes and breast cancer ribbons on it for $45k. I have to think they're motivated to move it. Not that the wife would let me even consider it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

CPO 535i
CPO E350
CPO GS350
or new,
M235i (!!!)
'16 Accord Touring (it looks amazing and the features for the price...but ugh, fwd? ugh, again)

I like the A6 3.0 (possibly A7) and think they look incredible, but most people I know with Audis (which is several at work) have had so many problems. :( It's a shame, my wife used to have a TT Roadster 10 years ago and we didn't have a single issue.

We've owned a few Audis and had no issues with them. Our 2014 A4 has 33,000 miles on it and all we have done is change the oil and air filter. We had a 2004 A4 and a 2010 A7 that we ran both for about 70,000 miles with zero issues. IMO, the Audi RS5 and RS7 are the best looking sport coupes/sedans on the planet.

41be77de672234f522d58219c25b1a16.jpg

No argument on the Audi A7 series.....agreed it's one of the best looking cars on the road, without question. One of my buddies (who unfortunately has issues...) has a '13 A7. Incredible machine otherwise though. I'd drive one in a heartbeat.

CPO 535i
CPO E350
CPO GS350
or new,
M235i (!!!)

qFVmuMd.png

No issues at all - it goes in once a year for an oil change. Ordered it in the summer of 2012 and it only has 20k miles as I was still flogging an E46 and then an E90 for most commuting until 2014. CPO you should be fine. I highly suggest looking for a car with the M-Sport code 704 suspension and then later getting the performance exhaust installed and have some coding done to enable/disable certain options.

Last edited:
qFVmuMd.png

No issues at all - it goes in once a year for an oil change. Ordered it in the summer of 2012 and it only has 20k miles as I was still flogging an E46 and then an E90 for most commuting until 2014. CPO you should be fine. I highly suggest looking for a car with the M-Sport code 704 suspension and then later getting the performance exhaust installed and have some coding done to enable/disable certain options.

Good to hear. I used to have an E90 325i and didn't have a single issue. Fantastic car. I definitely will get the M-Sport pkg...from what I can tell, it's worth the premium over the non-M sports. I may be in touch.... :D

I sold my ride,in the market for a new one. Thinking of either a Mazda 3 or 6 or a Nissan Altima or Rouge. Tough tough choices but I am in no rush ,just want to make the right choice. What would be your choice gents?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I sold my ride,in the market for a new one. Thinking of either a Mazda 3 or 6 or a Nissan Altima or Rouge. Tough tough choices but I am in no rush ,just want to make the right choice. What would be your choice gents?

Looking new or used?
What do you want in a car? Economy, storage, performance, features, gadgets?

Looking new or used?
What do you want in a car? Economy, storage, performance, features, gadgets?
I have had new the past 2,just want a go to go to and from work and a little pleasure driving. Will be going used this time as I will not be in the province long and do not want to drive it back to Ontario. Only thing I am looking for is runs well,decent mpg and stylish. Mazda 6 boom!

We've owned a few Audis and had no issues with them. Our 2014 A4 has 33,000 miles on it and all we have done is change the oil and air filter. We had a 2004 A4 and a 2010 A7 that we ran both for about 70,000 miles with zero issues. IMO, the Audi RS5 and RS7 are the best looking sport coupes/sedans on the planet.

41be77de672234f522d58219c25b1a16.jpg

Love the RS5's and RS7's.

The Car Shopping Thread

cf5e5e9b0557ed0ad72a24ade4b54735.jpg

8d5da112cb7f306d99aefe699dd258e9.jpg

Going to pick it up Saturday !

Back