The Car Shopping Thread

anyone have any personal experience with these?

Not personal, but anecdotally from friends, avoid 2014 and older. Engine and transmission issues. But you said slightly used so my assumption is 2018 or newer.

Had a great experience at AutoNation Tempe Toyota today. Ended up in a new Tacoma Offroad. They even went 2600 under sticker to make the deal. I was just going to place an order for the same truck but in manual trans. They shot me a killer deal to move this one, which was just unloaded from the transporter this morning. A big thumbs up to Brian for making the deal happen. Our second AutoNation purchase, my wife’s Tahoe went just as smooth last year.
9065B5CB-1579-497D-9E8F-5C271F08F8B2.jpeg
Told my son who’s 8, it’s his when he turns 16. He’s stoked. Definitely going to be an adjustment from my Ram. Sold my toyhauler and selling the boat, no longer need a Diesel for towing. And a 90 mile per day commute was adding up at 13MPG.
2BE86B75-0298-489B-A4B2-ED966E867BA9.jpeg
Looking forward to some adventures in the new truck. Already shopping lifts and Toyo AT3’s, lol.

Not personal, but anecdotally from friends, avoid 2014 and older. Engine and transmission issues. But you said slightly used so my assumption is 2018 or newer.
Thanks, for sure wouldn't be older than 2017.

As soon as a sales guy asks "what monthly payment are you looking for?" I'm done. Lets discuss cost of vehicle and nothing else, then we'll worry about payment.

I can get a lower price if I finance through them, than if I pay cash. Makes you wonder what business they're actually in.

It baffles me. I get that loans are a good business, but is the product you are selling a car or a financial instrument to buy said car?

I am always fascinated to see how salesmen operate in the internet era.

Some of them acting like you can't get 20 competitive quotes within five days from dealerships ranging hundreds of miles, and others acting like the internet doesn't exist at all hahahaha
I haven't bought a vehicle within three hours of home since 1999. It's still difficult to get some dealers to even reply to emails, let alone give ballpark numbers on a trade.

If you’re a Costco member they really do have good deals. We nearly went with the dealership they partnered with before another one jumped in with a better offer. Dealerships were having trouble keeping Subaru Foresters in stock, so bargains were hard to come by. When I got my Ford EcoSport, it was a different story.
Just move to Vermont, I'm pretty sure you get a Subaru and a knit hat with your welcome kit.

It baffles me. I get that loans are a good business, but is the product you are selling a car or a financial instrument to buy said car?

We have only bought 5 new cars since getting married in 1994 and only on one of them was I able to negotiate the best price without their financing. One was non negotiable and all the others we were forced to take the dealers financing to get the best price and then paid them off in the first year. Some dealers might make as much on the financing as they do on a new vehicle considering how many resources they devote to it. The appeal of buying through Costco makes sense as many don’t want to do the hard negotiations at a dealer. I actually enjoy it after having a career in sales.:)

Last edited:
I haven't bought a vehicle within three hours of home since 1999. It's still difficult to get some dealers to even reply to emails, let alone give ballpark numbers on a trade.
I'm about to drive up to Cleveland to get a deal haha (3+ hours).

I sort of love the chase though.

I love the chase also. Not for everybody, but I enjoy the back and forth.
Has anybody ever have a salesman say, you were tough, if you ever want a job in sales, call me up.
Heard that one many times. Must be a way of making us feel we got a great deal. :ROFLMAO:

Audi just released the production version of their E tron GT a couple of days ago and will be shipping them this summer. When my Tesla battery dies this might be it's replacement. I love the stance and overall looks and the interior looks amazing.

View attachment 8992970View attachment 8992971
oh my word. things like this make me briefly question why I had kids. lol

maybe I can get smaller car seats. 🤔

Not sure if this was the place to post this.

I went with my stepdad to finalize his Ferrari F8 that was finally allocated after getting on the waitlist last Feb.

The list of options they offer is unbelievable as are the prices ($5k for apple CarPlay) but the experience was cool. You get to/have to pick the colors of the stitching in the seats, floor mats, and roof liner.

Since the car was ordered about a year ago my stepdad had forgot most of the details but my younger brother was there with the build sheet and kept them on track with the changes.

FYI they do not recommend the standard lug nuts on this car if you plan on doing any track days but for $980 the titanium upgrade will ones will do the trick.

The build is on a screen now but they still have actual samples in the room.

0717AD3D-0DC7-4AA1-B8A2-FB4C510653EA.jpeg
E0552173-C3CE-4FBF-A107-DA5D1C7F28EA.jpeg

A few other pics from yesterday

167D4773-744F-439C-9A25-410D97EED85A.jpeg
458 SpecialA. For sale $770k

DC1BAC47-4326-4601-A9D7-94D15967D783.jpeg
Customer Car SP1 not for sale but would be around $2m
17F18528-17D8-4055-84B0-6705D2192104.jpeg
Carbon Fiber Wheel Set $29k

nice reminder of the people living an entirely different world than I can comprehend hahaha -- as I penny push cars the same price as those wheels.

I was just tagging along but they said business was better than ever and they just wished they could get more inventory.

I was just tagging along but they said business was better than ever and they just wished they could get more inventory.
Must have been so much fun to see it all come together.

I demand final product pics!

Must have been so much fun to see it all come together.

I demand final product pics!

He is hoping to get it by August. In the meantime here is another one he got 3 weeks ago.

EC7E9827-F0EA-461A-9075-064736E6FDCE.jpeg

What are you not going to listen to me about this time?

Back