The Cruise Thread

Hard to beat Castaway Cay.

I absolutely love Castaway Cay. We were there New Year’s Eve

We've done one Disney Cruise to the Bahamas/Caymans/Mexico and two Disney Mediterranean Cruises. We did our first river cruise down the Rhine on the Viking Eir in 2018 from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam. We loved all the stops and will definitely do another Viking river cruise in the next few years. Our next cruise is on the Celebrity Edge leaving from Italy with also a Greek Island itinerary with some good friends next September. We've never been to Greece and are really looking forward to it. The ship is new and has great reviews.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 6.46.45 PM.png

Oh man, have a blast on the Edge @tahoebum I've heard it's an unbelievable ship.

I would love to go on a cruise and check out some of the Caribbean islands. That said, need to be able to keep the 3 year old entertained...

I would love to go on a cruise and check out some of the Caribbean islands. That said, need to be able to keep the 3 year old entertained...

I'm not sure if they all have kids clubs or not. I know Disney does, but that shouldn't come to any shock or surprise.

I am just starting to look into this exact thing to the Caribbean for my honeymoon in September. Hoping to take the clubs and get in a few rounds of golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if they all have kids clubs or not. I know Disney does, but that shouldn't come to any shock or surprise.
They all have kids clubs. For young ones, Disney is fantastic. But our kids also liked Princess and Carnival kids clubs.L when they were smaller. Now that they are older teens, they like the mega ships and don’t want to do Disney. We have a big Carnival ship in March and Royal Caribbean in June.

I’ve only been on two cruises. The first was a western Caribbean on Carnival around 2005. At that point it was the best vacation I’d ever been on (I was young and hadn’t gone much of anywhere). I can’t really evaluate it too well at this point as my expectations and standards have changed.

The other was an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity in 2017. That was absolutely amazing. The food was good, the ship was really cool, the shows were entertaining, and Alaska was AMAZING. My wife and I did come away from it with the general impression that cruising might not be for us as a regular thing, but I could see going on another at some point. We definitely want to go back to Alaska though.

Wife just booked us on Norwegian Joy for 2021 spring break going to the Eastern Caribbean. This will be my 5th cruise, but I still get excited every time we book one for a week away from it all.

Well, I'm doing a Cruise on Sunday out of LA to the "Mexican Riviera" as they call it.
This cruise has an Alcohol package so well drinks are on the house.
With a cruise ship being denied portage in to Jamaica and Grand Cayman yesterday, if things get "Wonky" for us, we might end up on a 7 day Booze Cruise in the Pacific.
Always an adventure.

We have a cruise booked in 2021 to the Panama Canal out of Miami - Being making payments every month so when the bill comes due in October it's not such a "Nut" to cover. With yesterday's events in the Caribbean, we've decided stop making the payments as to not tie up cash for something that might not happen now.

We also bought Lysol wipes for on the plane so that we can wipe everything down.

On Norwegian we got the alcohol package included & it covers drinks up to $15, which I drink jack so I'm good to go. @Iceman! what did I miss going on in the Caribbean yesterday?

I love the idea of it, seeing many places over the course of the holiday, but sadly I get sick even looking at a boat so that is a definite no go for me...

Well, I'm doing a Cruise on Sunday out of LA to the "Mexican Riviera" as they call it.
With a cruise ship being denied portage in to Jamaica and Grand Cayman yesterday, if things get "Wonky" for us, we might end up on a 7 day Booze Cruise in the Pacific.
Always an adventure.

We have a cruise booked in 2021 to the Panama Canal out of Miami - Being making payments every month so when the bill comes due in October it's not such a "Nut" to cover. With yesterday's events in the Caribbean, we've decided stop making the payments as to not tie up cash for something that might not happen now.

We also bought Lysol wipes for on the plane so that we can wipe everything down.

The wife and I went on that cruise a few years ago. I had a great time, but she was seasick for most of it. Poor girl, no matter what we did for it, she couldn't kick the sickness.
But, I doubt I will ever do another cruise again after the COVID issue and other diseases seen on other ships.

Had to laugh at a cruise commercial recently...they had go karts on the ship! Mrs. Reject recently challenged SIL#2 to a go cart race in Clarksville, TN and was hurling in a trash can shortly afterwards. I don't think cruising is in our immediate future!!

In 2007 my 2 kids, me, my girlfriend at the time and her kid went on a Carnival Eastern Caribbean week long cruise. At the time, I thought the service was 5 star and we had a good time. The ship was the Glory. The same one that had an engine fire a few years later and was adrift for a few days. Lots of kids on the cruise. Lots of kids. This was when Carnival was catering to families and children.

In 2012 or so my wife and our 2 kids (1 of mine moved away and wasn't included) went on a Royal Caribbean Western Caribbean wek long cruise. This time I realized that the Carnival cruise was a 2 1/2 to 3 star cruise and the Royal Caribbean was closer to 5 stars. The cruise was great, the ship was awesome. It was the first time I had ever ice skated. Also the first time I'd ever seen a rascal scooter on a ship at sea.

In 2016 or so my wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise with her sister, brother-in-law, and their church group. To help defray costs, they included a local retirement home. Unbeknownst everyone, one of the cruisers was suffering from Dementia. She'd just wander off... and another cruiser had a "helper" that she treated more like a slave and should have been left behind at one of the ports of call because she was not a nice person. But the cruise was nice, the ship was older and needed to be refurbished.

All in all, my wife and I would do the Caribbean cruises again in a second!(y)
All in all, my wife and I would do the Alaskan cruise again in a second!(y)
We would not go on a cruise with my wife's sister again if it included a church group and a retirement home!(n)

Norwegian to Western Caribbean
Norwegian to Mexico Pacific coast
Holland to Alaska

Cruise industry is going to take a beating from this virus as more ports will be restricting docking. Already pretty cutthroat with deals. Gonna be real cheap soon with all the perks thrown in.

Had to laugh at a cruise commercial recently...they had go karts on the ship! Mrs. Reject recently challenged SIL#2 to a go cart race in Clarksville, TN and was hurling in a trash can shortly afterwards. I don't think cruising is in our immediate future!!
That's the ship we are booked on, it's the Norwegian Joy. Our daughter & her best friend are excited to ride them.

Always an adventure.

We leave on Saturday for a Mexican Riviera cruise :)

Royal Caribbean and Carnival have suspended all travel until April 10 or 11... I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime

The average cruise liner must be a floating petrie dish at the moment, I pity anyone on a cruise or contemplating one at th emoment.

We canceled a cruise to Greece/Italy in September because of a conflict with my daughter’s school. I just checked the price of that cruise and it is exactly half the price it was when we booked it. It will be a while before the cruise industry recovers from this.

My Viking river cruise was scheduled to leave Sept 2nd, but it too was cancelled. Kind of happy about that with all that is going on. Was a river cruise down the Danube. We did the river cruise down the Rhine in 2008 from Amsterdam to Basil and really enjoyed it. I get a choice of a full refund or 125% towards a future cruise. Not sure what to do as I love cruises, but a bird in the hand.

We have another cruise scheduled for June. They will not let us cancel, so at this point, we just hope for the best that it will be good to go by then or they cancel it and refund our money. We just got back yesterday from another cruise.

Thinking of booking a cruise the middle of October with some friends that already have it booked. It's Royal Caribbean Freedom of the seas. The prices are really coming down I hear. My wife is not so much worried about the Corona Virus but she is very susceptible to motion sickness.

Back