The Golf Channel without the PGA Tour?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Golf Channel survived without tour golf previously, but since they have gone all in on the PGA Tour, do you think they could continue without it?

Yikes, are they at risk of losing the early round coverage? Or not renewing it?

I don't think I would watch it unless they replaced it with some really good instructional videos from top teachers. Or even just really interesting teachers. Can you imagine giving George Gankas 60 minutes a week?

I pretty much tune into the Golf Channel with a tour event is being televised. Not really sure I would click on it outside of those events.

• Admin
Yikes, are they at risk of losing the early round coverage? Or not renewing it?

I don't think I would watch it unless they replaced it with some really good instructional videos from top teachers. Or even just really interesting teachers. Can you imagine giving George Gankas 60 minutes a week?

No idea, but if I was a gambler I would say GolfTV would have a pretty strong influence.

No idea, but if I was a gambler I would say GolfTV would have a pretty strong influence.
GolfTV is not something I'm familiar with. Are there two golf tv networks?

• Admin
GolfTV is not something I'm familiar with. Are there two golf tv networks?

GolfTV is the international streaming service and has international rights to the tour. They also have a deal in place with Tiger Woods.

Everything I've read has said that GolfTV will not go for US TV rights, unless something has changed very recently.

For those that don't know, the PGA Tour is currently in negotiations with multiple entities to determine who has the rights to coverage in 2021 and beyond. They are doing it now to get ahead of the NFL, whose contracts are also up in 2021.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Thursday/Friday coverage eventually gets moved to a streaming service like ESPN+, or a streaming service gets alternate feeds that show even more than PGA TOUR Live does right now.

No interest without the tour.

I do. I enjoy the teaching shows and golf movies. I skip the round table shows abotu golf as they are like most, basically talking heds blathering, which I happily live without.

I can't remember the last time I tuned in to watch something other than tour coverage.

I don't know what they would have to do in order to draw me in but not much of their non-tour coverage is all that appealing to me.

Personally, I'd have next to zero use for the Golf Channel if they no longer carried tournament golf.

The only other things that may interest me are the very occasional Feherty show I'll catch and Playing Lessons From the Pro. Do they even do that still?

The other lessons and tips shows are useless, so much conflicting info and only a guess as to what may apply to me.

Without the Tour, my viewing would go down 80% or more. I'd still watch some of the Euro events but it pales in comparison to what I watch of the US Tour. I like some of the instructional shows and would watch more if they were interesting and actually instructional, rather than teasers or infomercials for a subscription based service.

Without PGA Tour golf, I won't watch the Golf Channel unless they end up with compelling content. I am also done with more one-off subscriptions. If PGA Tour went that direction, I'll end up only watching what hits major networks.

Unless good original programming gets added like Big Break then yes. But if they fill it with top golf competitions then it’s a goner.

I don’t think they’d make it 3 years without the tour. They’d be really working hard to keep the ship afloat.

Hard to imagine golf Channel making it without the tour. Given NBC is part of Comcast, I would expect them to make a big push to keep tour events, similar to what nbcsn did when they secured part of the nascar season. Just a guess on my part but it sure seems like networks are willing to pay to get the broadcast rights for live events, and maybe that allows them to get the highest rates from advertisers.

I rarely watch the Golf Channel unless a PGA Event is being broadcast. Not I will watch a feature every now and then. Not sure they would survive.

Pretty much i only tune in for Tour coverage. Even with the late evening reruns from during the day.....no coverage, prolly won't tune in. I only have streaming like Hulu Live, Prime and a couple of others.....

Majority of my viewing is for coverage. However I do enjoy Golf Central and Morning Drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything I've read has said that GolfTV will not go for US TV rights, unless something has changed very recently.

For those that don't know, the PGA Tour is currently in negotiations with multiple entities to determine who has the rights to coverage in 2021 and beyond. They are doing it now to get ahead of the NFL, whose contracts are also up in 2021.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Thursday/Friday coverage eventually gets moved to a streaming service like ESPN+, or a streaming service gets alternate feeds that show even more than PGA TOUR Live does right now.
That would be awesome, if it happened. Right now I've been using YouTubeTV for the early rounds, but I'd prefer not to keep that service at $50/mo. if I can get the content for much cheaper.

I really think they would hurt without PGA coverage and revenues. The cuts would be deep and infomercial programming would skyrocket. Hope it never happens though, like the golf channel’s programming the way it is. Not a fan of many streaming services in Canada, too expensive.

I would like to see the coverage continue on the Golf Channel. I enjoy watching the PGA tour events that they cover.

I think they would with the European, Champion and ladies tour. Plus they cover a fair amount of amatuer golf.

Only if they replace it with Hammer and Hammer X infomercials.... I would tune in to that at least an hour a day.

Really though, I think they would struggle mightily. I sometimes will watch other shows, but usually only if I left it on the channel when I shut it off.

Back