The Grint: Yay or Nay?

Do you use Arccos Caddie? Around $100/yr?
Yes, and I've found the data to be worthwhile. The fact that it automatically maps my rounds, lets me know my actual on - course distances of my clubs, and even will caddie for me is powerful. My index has come down now that I better understand the weak areas of my game and can work on them. It calculating my index is an added benefit.

So this is what I was talking about and why I don't use thegrint linked to my official handicap anymore. I played a local muni today and used Golfshot Pro on course. Golfshot has it as 71.5/124 from the blues. SO DOES GHIN. TheGrint has it as 70.7/121. So if I post the score on thegrint, it will upload it how it has it. Since it's different than GHIN's numbers GHIN takes it as a manual entry at thegrint's rating and slope. Figures I played a set of mixed tees or something. If you upload it properly on GHIN.com or the app first, and then just put your numbers in at thegrint to keep your stats, thegrint will post the scores tonight, and it'll be on GHIN twice. Once with the proper numbers, one with thegrints. So I still like thegrint, but just can't link my actual GHIN number to the account, because once you do, there's no way to get thegrint to NOT post their inaccurate scores to GHIN.

Last edited:
I use Grint for handicap only. I use GolfpadGPS for shot tracking.

I use Grint for handicap only. I use GolfpadGPS for shot tracking.
Ideally I'd like to just have an app that I could use to quickly/simply track club used for shots, score, FW, GIR and putts - don't even need the GPS, as I use a GPS watch and rangefinder. I write all that stuff on my scorecard right now and it looks like hieroglyphics by the time I'm done.

Ideally I'd like to just have an app that I could use to quickly/simply track club used for shots, score, FW, GIR and putts - don't even need the GPS, as I use a GPS watch and rangefinder. I write all that stuff on my scorecard right now and it looks like hieroglyphics by the time I'm done.
Sounds like theGrint would be perfect for you. I like thegrint a lot. Now that my Arrcos grip batterys are dying I am using the grint to keep scores and for GPS.

I tried Grint for short tracking and didn't like it. That's why I use GolfpadGPS.

I've been a proponent of TheGrint and when they had their little mishap earlier this year, they corrected it in a timely manner and everything is good to go.

The last few weeks I've actually started to use the GPS on the app and I am finding it much better with club selection. Rather than just lasering 175 and hitting a 6 or 7iron. I am a big fan of the yardage to the front-center- and back of the green. When the front of he green is a simple 8iron but the flag is in the back that is fine. Something I never thought I'd care for but I think I like the feature better, not to mention being able to see the distance to bunkers/water/layup zones/etc.

it has taken me a minute to adjust to using the grint over TM's myroundpro (which I think is easier to do shot-by-shot) but I am a grint guy now.

I use and like the app. There are some good stat keeping features if you take the time to use it correctly. Plus the gps is decent. It can be a little buggy but not too bad. I have a skycaddie SX400 and side by side they give me the same numbers within a yard or so.

20200414_105409.jpg

Screenshot_20200414-105151_Gmail.jpg

This pretty much sums up my issue with thegrint these days.

Wanted to update this.

I decided to go all in or out on thegrint. And they've improved this issue as rapidly as I've come to appreciate some of its features now that I'm utilizing all of them, every round.

I've really come to appreciate the shot tracking, and it's available data in the app. Being able to see how I'm doing with a specific iron not in general, but off the tee as opposed to the fairway, from the rough, my distances and dispersion, proximities on approach, and being able to just tap a dot on the chart and see exactly which shot it was, during which round, had been very valuable to me. It's helped me spot some weaknesses and improve my gapping and approach. I'm becoming more of a fan.

Grint gives accurate information based on the information provided. Fairways, greens, putts. GPS scorecard all in one place.

The app is just a lot more detailed than I think I gave it credit for. If you track all your shots there is a ton of info there for the taking. Now that I have enough shot tracking to really fill it, seeing things like how my 8-iron distance changes from the rough vs. the fairway vs the tee, and the percentages I put them on the green and/or inside 15' from those situations and stuff is currently fascinating me.

I've suspected from videos that I do something with my shorter irons out of the rough that makes me go left a little more often and that is totally backed up by the charts. Ideally I'd like to rid myself of that habit, but until then I'm going to aim a couple yards right on those. Sarting now. And I think it'll gain me a stroke or two along the way.

I mostly like it. I might be wrong, but I think a grint membership generates everyone an official GHIN number now since the recent change. Seemed like that's what they generated for me, but someone newer to it should know for sure. So I don't see how there would be tournament issues. A ghin's a ghin. If you start only accepting ones through certain bodies (your state golf association for example), you're putting yourself in a bad position, imo. If it's an official GHIN number, and you don't like it, take it up with GHIN.

Some people don't like the GPS tracking part of the app. It's not the best one. There are easier ones when you're on course (I prefer Golfshot Pro), but it works well enough.

I like their stat interfaces. Especially on an actual computer. Awesome way of collecting and displaying it. It's decent on a phone, just simpler, and isn't available on an android tablet (annoying). That part is still way better than most others though.

My only real issue with it is that unlike every other gps app like that where you can link your GHIN number to your account, thegrint automatically uploads those scores, immediately. Most ask you if you want to, instead of just doing it. Would be fine for most people probably, but their course info (slope/rating) isn't always accurate, so my handicap there was always a little different than through GHIN. GHIN will kick out an obvious error, but if it's close they seem to just take it as a manual entry and let it through. Which for me endsup with duplicated scores and inaccuracies on ghin. So I doubt have my official GHIN linked to my pro grint account, and my handicap there is no longer accurate. I might change that setup once I move, but we'll see. I had my GHIN # through my club, and posted scores through the ghin app before joining thegrint, so I noticed the ratings thing being off before, and especially now that thegrint posts for you. If thegrint is all you use though, I don't think you'd ever really notice any issue.
I have the Grint, NCGA and GHIN. Scores show to all of them when one is posted on any site.

I love The Grint. I've been using it for a couple of years and find it useful to keep track of progress and stats. I actually like to input from my computer at home, I find the interface to be more user friendly.

I have the Grint, NCGA and GHIN. Scores show to all of them when one is posted on any site.
You mean when you post them on thegrint, right?

You mean when you post them on thegrint, right?
Yes. Doesn’t look like it works the other way though. I used GHIN the past 2 rounds and the HC adjustments showed up but not the scores.

free version
if you sign up for grint, press the play button, does it show the hole your playing? how does it track shots? or is the gps paid version?

free version
if you sign up for grint, press the play button, does it show the hole your playing? how does it track shots? or is the gps paid version?
I believe GPS comes with the free version. The $20 annual subscription gets you a WHS complaint handicap and the $40 gives you shot tracking and more stats that you know what to do with.

The app is just a lot more detailed than I think I gave it credit for. If you track all your shots there is a ton of info there for the taking. Now that I have enough shot tracking to really fill it, seeing things like how my 8-iron distance changes from the rough vs. the fairway vs the tee, and the percentages I put them on the green and/or inside 15' from those situations and stuff is currently fascinating me.

I've suspected from videos that I do something with my shorter irons out of the rough that makes me go left a little more often and that is totally backed up by the charts. Ideally I'd like to rid myself of that habit, but until then I'm going to aim a couple yards right on those. Sarting now. And I think it'll gain me a stroke or two along the way.

I need to start tracking my shots more often with TheGrint - I think it would really help my game. The problem is I remember to track my shot after I've started walking down towards the ball. I think your posts about shot tracking with TheGrint and all the info you get from this will really help me remember to track. I need all that info to help me choose the right club.

Old thread but i have been looking for an app that also works with my apple watch, and The Grint seems ideal for my purposes. The app is really well done, super intuitive and i will be interested to see how shot tracking works. But so far just playing around with it, i am pretty impressed.

I just started trying to use The Grint as well. Haven't put a lot of time into the details of it, but looks good so far and seems to have a lot of potential.

I use it to map out new courses and try and get a feel for what the course is like. For handicap i use GHIN

Back