The Half Set Challenge

We should make an informal competition out of it! We should set a date to start, post handicaps, track our scores (differentials) over a set amount of time or rounds, then declare a winner. I guess we could set it for March to August for a total of 5 rounds each. I'm sure some would get done sooner, but some might not play as often and use all the time.

Since this is a Challenge, I am game for a Prize and declaring a Winner. I would like to keep this accessible and fun, and I'm not sure the prize should be based on scoring outcome, but rather that you participated, kept track of scores, and shared your thoughts. I want everyone to be in the hunt. To that end, I am thinking slight revisions are in order. Draft entry criteria - suggestions welcomed:
  1. Play and score 72 holes with a 7-club set. This lowers barrier to entry, but 4 full rounds still allows for extended play and a chance to really give it a solid try. Any combination of 9 and 18 hole scores is OK.
  2. Report Summary Results using template that I will provide in first post. This will include a comparison to your 18 hole differentials.
  3. entries complete by July 31
At the conclusion of the contest, I will hold a random drawing for a Prize. I have a couple of ideas that could be fun.

I'd go with Driver, 5w, 5i, 7i, 9i, 56* and putter

Will give this shot this weekend. (y) Should be fun to do something a bit different.

Last edited:
I think this is way too easy. i'd be willing to bet that on a normal round on your home course you don't touch more than half the clubs anyway and if you do its a one off and you could easily have used a different club.

Will post my First score tomorrow

3W, 4, 6, 9, AW, SW, Putter

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Since this is a Challenge, I am game for a Prize and declaring a Winner. I would like to keep this accessible and fun, and I'm not sure the prize should be based on scoring outcome, but rather that you participated, kept track of scores, and shared your thoughts. I want everyone to be in the hunt. To that end, I am thinking slight revisions are in order. Draft entry criteria - suggestions welcomed:
  1. Play and score 72 holes with a 7-club set. This lowers barrier to entry, but 4 full rounds still allows for extended play and a chance to really give it a solid try. Any combination of 9 and 18 hole scores is OK.
  2. Report Summary Results using template that I will provide in first post. This will include a comparison to your 18 hole differentials.
  3. entries complete by July 31
At the conclusion of the contest, I will hold a random drawing for a Prize. I have a couple of ideas that could be fun.

Trust me, in no way did I intend to sound like I wanted the lowest gross score to win. I was aiming for differentials to even the playing field. I like the 72 hole stipulation. I think many of us are going to do this for 9 hole rounds, but some may want to do 18 and that's fine, too.

I think this is way too easy. i'd be willing to bet that on a normal round on your home course you don't touch more than half the clubs anyway and if you do its a one off and you could easily have used a different club.

I don't know about that. I think I use the majority of my clubs most rounds. I may not use 2 or 3, but I'd be willing to bet that I use at least 10 clubs in 8/10 rounds.

@GraniteRoost, should we you should go ahead and label it "The Inaugural Unofficial THP Half Bag Challenge"!

Trust me, in no way did I intend to sound like I wanted the lowest gross score to win. I was aiming for differentials to even the playing field. I like the 72 hole stipulation. I think many of us are going to do this for 9 hole rounds, but some may want to do 18 and that's fine, too.

Differentials is the way we will setup comparison, which will be shown in the summary format. You have me considering a bonus prize, for overall quality of participation and engagement :sneaky:

So, you are in? ?

I am game. I played a few rounds with 8 clubs in 2019. IIRC, my scores were only 2 strokes off my normal full bag score. I still use a lot of 4 hybrid shots to this day that I learned to hit during those 8 club rounds.

I think many people will experience similar results. And it teaches you to hit some less than full shots especially depending on what irons and what wedge(s) you are playing. I generally play with 9-11 clubs and usually score about the same as if I had all 14.

I think many people will experience similar results. And it teaches you to hit some less than full shots especially depending on what irons and what wedge(s) you are playing. I generally play with 9-11 clubs and usually score about the same as if I had all 14.

My score today, 75, was about 2 strokes better than my average this time of year. Of course, a chip in for eagle is not going to happen every day. Haha. I probably played 5 rounds last year with a limited bag and think I may do it more frequently this year. It is fun and challenging and I enjoy carrying from time to time as opposed to always using a push cart.

My score today, 75, was about 2 strokes better than my average this time of year. Of course, a chip in for eagle is not going to happen every day. Haha. I probably played 5 rounds last year with a limited bag and think I may do it more frequently this year. It is fun and challenging and I enjoy carrying from time to time as opposed to always using a push cart.

I like to carry my own bag for most rounds and depending on the course I’ll carry 9-11 clubs. If taking a cart, I’ll bring all 14.

Florida bag in a couple of weeks: 3W or 5W, 7W, 5h, 7h, 9i, SW, P. They are all short courses, so they should work just fine.

Let's mix things up a bit to keep it fresh. This year I am going to play five rounds with a half set, to promote creativity and out of curiosity see how much effect there is on my score. I am looking for ten other THP'ers to join me on this journey and post in this thread. Now, it is the off season in New England and my play will not start until April, however, I thought this would be a fun Challenge to start off 2020.

Challenge Entry Criteria:
  • You are allowed 7 clubs. They do not have to be the same 7 clubs each round - dial in your set as you go.
  • Play and score 72 holes with a 7-club set. This lowers barrier to entry, but 4 full rounds still allows for extended play and a chance to really give it a solid try. Any combination of 9 and 18 hole scores is OK.
  • Report Summary Results using template that I will provide in first post. This will include a comparison to your 18 hole differentials.
  • entries complete by July 31
  • Have Fun

Any takers?

I'll give it a try. At 71 yrs. old and still carrying my bag, taking out half of the clubs might just be the thing.

I think I'll go with Driver, 4 hy, 6i, 8i, pw, sw, putter

I'm game... i was just pointing out that at your local home course you know so well that you hit a certain club regardless of the yardage vs playing an unknown course and only having the yardage to go by so you hit that club for that yardage. you know what i mean?

Shot an 82. 10 over par. Which is better than most of my recent scores. BTW my best score in December was a 84.

Used a Driver, 3 Wood, 5 and 8 Iron, Pitching Wedge, 54* Sand Wedge and a Putter.

Played from 6,396 Yards.

Less Thinking. Less second guessing Club choice. If the Shot was short of the green based on club selection used the Sand Wedge and Putter to get up and down.

Encourages more Course management. Less Bomb and Gouge. Will play this way for 90 days. Once these clubs are optimized, will plan on adding one club at a time to the 7 club set. This Way I will always feel confident over the Ball.
aKEFWbBy3MIjCVRH1T8Sm65uIzHsokjhPUDeYOucxcIJi4uP3Nzmhqjxs78BrxFWqqYymA2Wk9Z7O6PVeKayGPR79dDh2kNN37L-ZAT_Fg1qqdjuqshegN7kOOd1GsG7nSn9vRQ-7OVxo4ab3zj6KVNpgBFploVfVTQqEuVZQepEe4yeY0RvnQOX2br3I1o2cOScMiRnUSPDKIqMA3bwh1IMPA-gUHwIUJRyM-mu3f1L6vLzP_sDwrWxfmGPoZrfiFtzYmhEGYJ4_XiOItarnnyGP0Tu6Vs5oN5_vM5Epp-jfJpe8PZ22EQSaj1ZpKj3llQ-_TbgSQVkHYBVhMnXB75NSo00F9Xt_JvQM7M3xkRCqwR1QUEM2ax5pK4QKwUtzLwM4UBvWYLwaBi44Ce38xAbQSQ80VxaxW0gRuidpAdhNB6EWYVu2LcxzC8FYIwABzRGXzZu67xCNjEy_quQYuyEqCFRD_05VXJqSfguCx5zMYj3jQanYMrTb_sHUaYzAE1lwvZFSBQHSsvhPe3dpAMfW_pDHqFfNc7uHBVfRZygddK06nlDSh1x1nzB1cKaRHTkqdZPXMJA6MyLC6kdWvidjb9_Y3xjs8Ct47qVq-XGeMfFvdlb138QWR1Ax2cXFSUjk_Cb4k9lNDyBLHHIjvwvrNCO6uliaU8_VYDf9u-9RA9VIe0I99RS=w1403-h789-no

Round 2 in the books. 38 - 39 - 77 which is a very typical score for me in cooler weather. The round today was basically the polar opposite of yesterday. Hit the ball well yesterday but struggled somewhat with the short game with hitting shots with the 54 degree wedge that I would notmally use a 58 degree for. Swing was trash today (seemingly never ending string of pull hooks) but the short game with the 54 was much improved and pretty sharp. Even had 2 hybrid bump and run up and downs for pars.

Shot an 81 today and an 84 yesterday. The easiest 54 holes I have ever played.

Honestly I can't say I need 14 clubs.

My scores or Handicap don't.

With less choices I seem to have less opportunity to over think and mess up.

It really keeps it so simple. Target Golf.

Because you are never indecisive, it's either an 8 iron or a Pitching Wedge. Never both.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I’m interested in trying this, and I think it could actually improve my scores. I’d go with 3 hybrid, 7, 8, and 9 irons, pitching wedge, sand wedge, and putter.

Five of those seven are the five best clubs in my bag, and the other two are just necessities. I think I could play just as well, if not better, using just those as I can using my whole bag.

I'll definitely give this a go as well! My availability to play right now is hit or miss until March or April with the weather, but I'm all for mixing it up!
I'd say my 7 club bag would be putter, 54, 9, 7, 5, 3hy, Dr.

It is great to see everyone having so much fun not to mention success with this so far. I'll get a template for the tallying of your rounds and summary entry posted in the coming days so that guys who are (lucky) playing golf this time of year have something to plug their score into. For now, hold tight and great playing!

Weather permitting, will get in another couple of more rounds early this week.

Sadly, as soon as I returned to 14 clubs my scores suffered.

88 yesterday.

Maybe I should stick to 7 clubs for life. :geek::Puma:

Another very solid round yesterday with a 38 - 37 - 75. My game is starting to really enjoy this January warm spell. While it lasts.... Had 1 birdie, 13 pars and 4 bogeys. Going out shortly for another half set round and will report back later.

Back