The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Potentially making an offer on a house this week. It's stuck in the 70s but it's a solid four bedroom, four bathroom with a sunroom that the wife wants and space for a workshop that I want. It needs updating so hopefully they come down a bit on the price.

We'll know as soon as they see our offer!

Stay in your zone on price, 2016 will be 2007 and whatever paid this year will take several years to recover from. Not bad if you are staying in your new home for years to come but if it's a 3 to 4 year play I wouldn't be buying in 70% of US Markets right now.

Stay in your zone on price, 2016 will be 2007 and whatever paid this year will take several years to recover from. Not bad if you are staying in your new home for years to come but if it's a 3 to 4 year play I wouldn't be buying in 70% of US Markets right now.
I have to agree although I think they will suck at least a few more year out of it taking us to 2018-2019. I know in Raleigh they are still trying to recover inventory more than price at this point. Just not enough houses on the market which is causing a drastic spike in prices and people paying way over asking. It is something that will over time strighten it self out then add in other issues and you will see a small "correction". I don't think it will be as big as 08 though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have to agree although I think they will suck at least a few more year out of it taking us to 2018-2019. I know in Raleigh they are still trying to recover inventory more than price at this point. Just not enough houses on the market which is causing a drastic spike in prices and people paying way over asking. It is something that will over time strighten it self out then add in other issues and you will see a small "correction". I don't think it will be as big as 08 though.

The housing market in Raleigh is INSANE right now. There is no way I'd consider buying in Wake county currently. I wish I had a few properties lying around to sell though....

The housing market in Raleigh is INSANE right now. There is no way I'd consider buying in Wake county currently. I wish I had a few properties lying around to sell though....
I just sold a rental unit in Apex, big gain over purchase price in 2004. Rental income was nice but I'm trying to simplify my life. 1 down, 37 more to go.

I just sold a rental unit in Apex, big gain over purchase price in 2004. Rental income was nice but I'm trying to simplify my life. 1 down, 37 more to go.

Some family of mine in Raleigh just moved to Apex, they put their house on the market this week, had offers they day it went live, and sold it for over asking on the day of their open house, about three days after putting it on the market.

Some family of mine in Raleigh just moved to Apex, they put their house on the market this week, had offers they day it went live, and sold it for over asking on the day of their open house, about three days after putting it on the market.

That is how this one went down. I didn't list it with any agent and sold in 36 hours.

Putting 2 in North Raleigh up this week.

That is how this one went down. I didn't list it with any agent and sold in 36 hours.

Putting 2 in North Raleigh up this week.

I'm sure they'll sell quickly. Absolutely INSANE unless you're a seller, so that works out for you! :alien: As a buyer, and knowing what I know about the area, I wouldn't even look in Raleigh, I'd look in the surrounding counties.

I'm sure they'll sell quickly. Absolutely INSANE unless you're a seller, so that works out for you! :alien: As a buyer, and knowing what I know about the area, I wouldn't even look in Raleigh, I'd look in the surrounding counties.
That is why we went where we did we when we bought our house it just didn't make sense to us without kids to pay the premium of other areas. If we have kids the landscape will change so much by that point I am sure we will reevaluate. But could not be happier with the area we are in and it is starting to see some tremendous growth over the last year. Our realtor called us the other day and told us to list for 60k over what we paid a year and a half ago that said my wife and I have no desire to move. Not to mention if we sold we would still have to pay a premium for our next place.

That is why we went where we did we when we bought our house it just didn't make sense to us without kids to pay the premium of other areas. If we have kids the landscape will change so much by that point I am sure we will reevaluate. But could not be happier with the area we are in and it is starting to see some tremendous growth over the last year. Our realtor called us the other day and told us to list for 60k over what we paid a year and a half ago that said my wife and I have no desire to move. Not to mention if we sold we would still have to pay a premium for our next place.

Here in suburban Dallas it's also nuts. Neighbor 2 doors down went up for sale on Friday, sold yesterday for $110K over their ask. The supply is so limited and so many transplants are hunting it's a great time to be a seller if you have a reasonable backup option. We were going to sell our place and move into a rental we have in the same town but our renters offered to buy it at a killer price so that option went away.

I can smell the fall of Rome in the air and my chips are coming off the table.

Here in suburban Dallas it's also nuts. Neighbor 2 doors down went up for sale on Friday, sold yesterday for $110K over their ask. The supply is so limited and so many transplants are hunting it's a great time to be a seller if you have a reasonable backup option. We were going to sell our place and move into a rental we have in the same town but our renters offered to buy it at a killer price so that option went away.

I can smell the fall of Rome in the air and my chips are coming off the table.
Can't say I blame you I would do the same. Even as it stands if we had a backup option I would probably sell our place. That said we have a long way to retirement and I just don't think I could convince my wife to downsize to a townhome or smaller home for a sale to make any sense.

We lowballed them. Waiting to see how they react to our offer. Wont win me any friends, but I'm more interested in setting up my family for the long haul as opposed to making someone else money.

We lowballed them. Waiting to see how they react to our offer. Wont win me any friends, but I'm more interested in setting up my family for the long haul as opposed to making someone else money.
They countered. Not quite in the middle, but they did come down. Might not be enough for us to buy this one and get to clean up the other one prior to sale, so we may need to make the sale contingent on our own house selling. They've had two sales fall through, so not sure they'll be willing to do that ... we'll see.

Great stuff Arron

Good luck Duece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we found the bill there were going with now to find a rental and how long. Whether we go month-to-month or sign a year long lease. As far as the offer on our front we've got a counteroffer in

Think we found the bill there were going with now to find a rental and how long. Whether we go month-to-month or sign a year long lease. As far as the offer on our front we've got a counteroffer in

Might want to find a rental or a landlord that has a stipulation about breaking your lease without penalty if you've gone under contract on one and give ample notice. They do exist.

Good luck Duece
Thanks. Fingers crossed on this one. This house has great bones, just needs a lot of updating, and they're asking a premium price right now. Even with them coming down, we're just not comfortable with it. Even if I do most of the work, the entire upstairs (all three bedrooms, an office, and the hallway) needs to be refloored from the awful blue carpet that dominates the entire upstairs save one room ... which is pink carpet.

Plus every room (save the living and dining rooms) has some sort of built-in in it. Every bedroom (all four) has a built-in desk, the kitchen has a built-in china cabinet, the den has a built-in desk as well. For the kids bedrooms and the kitchen, they'll work ... but no need for a desk in the spare bedroom or master.

Just beginning to seriously look, have a few areas in mind, and a family house that could be an awesome opportunity, but it's family so I'm not holding my breath.

Can anyone point me towards good information on first time home buyer/mortgage options? We have the funds for a significant down payment, and would like to keep the monthly payment low(ish), so I'm not sure I fully understand the benefits of forest time home buying programs (other than using less of my money down to qualify for a home.

Just beginning to seriously look, have a few areas in mind, and a family house that could be an awesome opportunity, but it's family so I'm not holding my breath.

Can anyone point me towards good information on first time home buyer/mortgage options? We have the funds for a significant down payment, and would like to keep the monthly payment low(ish), so I'm not sure I fully understand the benefits of forest time home buying programs (other than using less of my money down to qualify for a home.

When putting less down, you must also consider the mortgage insurance you have to pay as well.
One way to look at the entire thing however is a simple one. Compare the return you would get on that money vs what you are giving up.

When putting less down, you must also consider the mortgage insurance you have to pay as well.
One way to look at the entire thing however is a simple one. Compare the return you would get on that money vs what you are giving up.

That's a good thought, although the funds aren't returning anything at the moment based on where I have them parked until we move. Mortgage insurance usually is for below a certain % put down, correct? (20%?)

That's a good thought, although the funds aren't returning anything at the moment based on where I have them parked until we move. Mortgage insurance usually is for below a certain % put down, correct? (20%?)

Yes, if you put less than a certain percentage down and/or have a nonstandard mortgage you will be required to have it.
The realtors and mortgage guys/gals on THP will be able to give you more details on that.

Yes, if you put less than a certain percentage down and/or have a nonstandard mortgage you will be required to have it.
The realtors and mortgage guys/gals on THP will be able to give you more details on that.

Thanks, I'll do some digging locally as well.

Boxes and bins everywhere.

Moving everything into the new house Monday and closing is set for next Thursday!! I am ready for the mess to be cleaned up.

House is finally ready for pictures. We go on the market today or tomorrow!

Wow what a week it has been!

Thanks, I'll do some digging locally as well.

Not sure if you are shopping in RI or MA, but be cognizant of FHA loan limits and conforming loan limits as well. In MA the loan limit to stay under jumbo varies by county (anywhere from $417,000 to $625,000). It appears it is $426,500 for single family homes in RI based on the google machine.

I was dead set at being under jumbo on our first place which was a win in of itself, but we do have a few years of PMI to deal with.

Not sure if you are shopping in RI or MA, but be cognizant of FHA loan limits and conforming loan limits as well. In MA the loan limit to stay under jumbo varies by county (anywhere from $417,000 to $625,000). It appears it is $426,500 for single family homes in RI based on the google machine.

I was dead set at being under jumbo on our first place which was a win in of itself, but we do have a few years of PMI to deal with.

Thanks, we are searching in both RI and MA (border towns really), and hope to stay under that number based on our budget. Is there a good site to get info on the PMI and calculations of monthly payment?

Back