It wouldn’t be the first. I mean they had the Phil Franken thing and the 3 Deep. All these companies have had these designs for years and continue to.
Sure. Did the frankenwood make it to retail? I don’t recall on that one.. the had the Phil mini driver 2 years ago that didn’t make it as well. It got people wound up when it hit the conforming list but it never made it to the masses..

Reactions: JB
Sure. Did the frankenwood make it to retail? I don’t recall on that one.. the had the Phil mini driver 2 years ago that didn’t make it as well. It got people wound up when it hit the conforming list but it never made it to the masses..
I don’t think it did. I think they made it into the 3 Deep but can ask. I believe Cobra had a million iterations they were working on with Long Tom. including the 2 wood at 45” at retail but I know there were others in mini driver realm. I mean the person that ran metal woods for TM is at Cobra haha.

I don’t think it did. I think they made it into the 3 Deep but can ask. I believe Cobra had a million iterations they were working on with Long Tom. including the 2 wood at 45” at retail but I know there were others in mini driver realm. I mean the person that ran metal woods for TM is at Cobra haha.
I completely forgot about the 3 Deep.

I loved that club.

I want cobra to Bri f the long Tom name back. It was not a great club 10 years ago or however long ago it was but I think a 2 wood/mini driver from cobra would be awesome. Their big tour fairways woods just lacked a little something. I liked the idea there too. But just didn’t pan out.

This one club would've been the perfect solution to the "Distance Problem" that the tour pros allegedly have. The pros using it probably would've had a downstream effect on the amateur market. Instead they changed the ball.

The original Phrankenwood is a hideous monstrosity , as JB said i believe the retail version became the 3deep

I have held the original Phrankenwood, you would not have bought it.

Callaway had a bin of "Phil clubs" in Carlsbad, you should see some of the wedges. The "original" high toe PM grind i think he cut a piece off another wedge and welded it onto a regular wedge

He's a maniac

The original Phrankenwood is a hideous monstrosity , as JB said i believe the retail version became the 3deep

Callaway had a bin of "Phil clubs" in Carlsbad, you should see some of the wedges. The "original" high toe PM grind i think he cut a piece off another wedge and welded it onto a regular wedge

He's a maniac
I remember seeing the double wedge prototype somewhere..

Oh, and don’t tell me what I would and wouldn’t do!! lol but your right. Probably wouldn’t have bought it. Left handed and all.. 😁

I remember seeing the double wedge prototype somewhere..

Oh, and don’t tell me what I would and wouldn’t do!! lol but your right. Probably wouldn’t have bought it. Left handed and all.. 😁

Phil's prototypes look like something out of Mad Max for the most part lol

Now....that 11 degree black rocketballz he had custom made for him to conceal that he was using a TMAG club....gimme that!

I think it is a very interesting option for high swing speed players that are looking for another tee option. I am not long enough that it is an issue. I hit my 3w off the deck way more than a tee so the mini driver isn’t really a fit for me.

I think it goes in and out based on what is going on on tour. For me, I've toyed with the idea of the 2nd, smaller, "control" driver and it doesn't really work for me because it's such a niche purpose. I find that something like a TSR2+ (i.e. bigger, deeper faced fairway) balances well the extra forgiveness compared to a standard fairway while keeping some versatility to be able to still hit it off the deck reliably.

I use my TSR3 off the deck 2-3 times per round and about the same off the tee if I need control, so a mini driver isn’t as versatile for me. I like a smaller head on my fairways, and my 3w is about 35-40 yards shorter than my driver but serves its purpose.

He's a maniac
Oh man. I would love to see that bucket. I bet there is some wild stuff in there

Back