The most iconic par 3 in America is…

Have you been there? It uses the natural feature of the land. The trouble on all sides and wind (on breezy days) are the challenges rather than distance. Nothing gimmicky about it

It's hard, It's iconic, it's natural. It's still gimmicky.

Here's another difficult par 3 using natural features of the land.
Extreme19thgolferEDIT.jpg

The ol South African 19th. That is such a crazy concept

#17 at Sawgrass here.

Back and forth between Pebble and Sawgrass... Ill take Sawgrass

I would rank these as

12 Augusta

17 The Players

7 Pebble Beach

Besides the view at Pebble, I don’t remember many

Ok you are not serious. For the record, there is nothing gimmicky about Pebble's 7th hole.

I would put them in that order exactly. Maayyybbbe TPC ahead of Augusta.

Ok you are not serious. For the record, there is nothing gimmicky about Pebble's 7th hole.

gim·mick
/ˈɡimik/
noun
a device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

agree to disagree.

I don't know if it helps but I'm guessing it has to do with a several things. First, I'm old and I never was one to waste much time watching golf on TV other than majors, Ryder Cup etc... I've not played any of the holes/courses mentioned but the first three holes that came to mind are the three tee shots that pop up in my dreams frequently and have done so for over 40 years. Each are set into visually spectacular backdrops and those three greens appear difficult to get to or hold for different reasons. I get that #12 is dressed up in April and wouldn't make my cut if not for The Masters (I do watch that one). In contrast, #17 without the Tour TV hype isn't set in a memorable back drop and looks to be a relatively easy green to hit and hold with a decent shot. If the wind isn't blowing hard I'm betting the Tour GIR % and Par or better % is pretty high. More gimmick than substance IMO and so copied as to seem almost over exposed to me.

Technically if the criteria is which par three would be most recognizable to Joe Schmoe, or most copied, then yes it's #17, followed by #12. But if I (speaking just for me I guess) were able to hand pick 18 USA holes for a dream course, #17 Sawgrass wouldn't sniff it. #12 Augusta, #7 Pebble, and #16 Cypress would be among the first three holes I'd pick. If I felt the need to include an island green it'd be the 14th at Coeur d'Alane. Stunning scenery and setting would far out weigh Tour TV coverage for me. Honestly I'd probably for go the need for an island green, there are other awesome par threes I'd rather play.
If the question were to pick the four best par-3s in America, that would be nearly impossible. The choices are too numerous and waterfront holes would dominate. I don't think Sawgrass would get close to top-4. Cypress 16 would probably have to be the tops, then you have in no particular order Pebble 7, Cypress 15, Whistling Straits 17, Pacific Dunes 11, Hawaii's Mauna Kea and Manele and Kapalua, and for inland holes you have in no particular order Bethpage 17, Winged Foot 10, Shinnecock 7, Sawgrass 17, Riviera 6, Coeur D'Alene 14, Yale 9, Pine Valley 5, and overall probably a dozen others.

Restricting the conversation to these 3.....In order
12 Augusta has been decisive in the determination of Masters Champions
17 Sawgrass is a hole nobody really wants to play if they are in contention on Sunday.
7 at Pebble isn't even the most iconic of Pebble....17 is...

Back