The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think priors need to be taken into account, but deflated balls should not be anywhere near paying money for injuring players on other teams.

The act of deflating balls may not seem that serious but when you break it down and how it could affect the outcome of the game. As was said earlier what if it was a one point game? The money that is riding on these game it is a very serious issue. I will agree not as bad as injuring players but it is still very very serious.

The act of deflating balls may not seem that serious but when you break it down and how it could affect the outcome of the game. As was said earlier what if it was a one point game? The money that is riding on these game it is a very serious issue. I will agree not as bad as injuring players but it is still very very serious.

True, and I'm not defending them on that in any way. This is something I would love to talk about off the record with someone who's played QB in the league. It sort of seems to me based on the Rodgers comments and some others who have chimed in that this is somewhat like doctoring the ball in baseball. Happens fairly often, don't be dumb and if you get caught, shame on you.

Either way, whatever the punishment is, the team needs to just take it and not complain or appeal. Dumb way to tarnish a game where they completely dominated.

True, and I'm not defending them on that in any way. This is something I would love to talk about off the record with someone who's played QB in the league. It sort of seems to me based on the Rodgers comments and some others who have chimed in that this is somewhat like doctoring the ball in baseball. Happens fairly often, don't be dumb and if you get caught, shame on you.

Either way, whatever the punishment is, the team needs to just take it and not complain or appeal. Dumb way to tarnish a game where they completely dominated.

I wouldn't be shocked if this comes out that it was Brady's doing. Rodgers just prefers to have his balls at the higher psi allowed compared to the lower of the allowed psi range. From the article I posted a link to on the last page it seems every QB notices even the slightest difference in pressure in a ball, so I find it hard to believe that Brady did not notice. Either A) He did it, or B) He knows they were deflated and didn't say anything.

Seems like QBs would want higher. Tighter spirals. Should be easier to catch a soft ball. Can we start blaming receivers and TEs now? Damn you Gronk!!

Seems like QBs would want higher. Tighter spirals. Should be easier to catch a soft ball. Can we start blaming receivers and TEs now? Damn you Gronk!!

That would be in dry weather, in wet weather the lower psi would be easier to throw and grip.

Tweet of the day so far that I have seen:

Now they are saying that all 12 of the Patriots footballs were under regulation. Just that 11 of them were under by more than 2 pounds.

It seems that controversy tends to follow the Patriots. Most times when one sees or smells smoke more than once, typically it means that there is a fire somewhere. Now, I would guess that many football fans outside of New England want the Seahawks to crush the Patriots. If the Patriots win, in a manner of speaking, it may be a hollow victory. It will always carry the stigma of the perceived means in which they got there. People don't always remember who won a Super Bowl, people forget over time. However, people remember incidences such as this. It will take a while for the Patriots to repair their damaged reputation, assuming that they actually care.

May not be the perfect analogy, but good enough, deflating football PSI after the officials have approved same via there routine pre game tests for compliance is similar to the use of a corked bat in baseball. You are altering the one thing that is the implement of the game to gain an advantage. I say the PATS had to see their in the dark cheating as some benefit otherwise why do it. Typical BB nonsense that is not good for the game and taints super bowl, just like spy gate during the Rams super bowl practice sessions. They won that super bowl in a squeaker attributed in some part to illegal spying.

May not be the perfect analogy, but good enough, deflating football PSI after the officials have approved same via there routine pre game tests for compliance is similar to the use of a corked bat in baseball. You are altering the one thing that is the implement of the game to gain an advantage. I say the PATS had to see their in the dark cheating as some benefit otherwise why do it. Typical BB nonsense that is not good for the game and taints super bowl, just like spy gate during the Rams super bowl practice sessions. They won that super bowl in a squeaker attributed in some part to illegal spying.

Your comments are a case in point. How many people actually remember that the Patriots won the Super Bowl that year. But they certainly remember that spygate occurred. While they are still just a bunch of northeners to me, the Patriot fans deserve better.

Matt Leinart@MattLeinartQB 51m Every team tampers with the footballs. Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!

controversy = former players coming out with all kinds of odd comments

Matt Leinart@MattLeinartQB 51m Every team tampers with the footballs. Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!

controversy = former players coming out with all kinds of odd comments
I would most likely tend to agree with Leinart here. Not saying in any way that cheating is okay, but lets face it; This is a big deal because it's the Patriots that got caught. If somebody wrote a story about ball a ball being deflated for David Carr would anybody care? Every team tries to gain any edge they can with this type of money at stake, just like college recruiting. If people knew the inside and out of what their favorite team did on a daily basis I'd guess they wouldn't be so quick to take the moral high ground

I would most likely tend to agree with Leinart here. Not saying in any way that cheating is okay, but lets face it; This is a big deal because it's the Patriots that got caught. If somebody wrote a story about ball a ball being deflated for David Carr would anybody care? Every team tries to gain any edge they can with this type of money at stake, just like college recruiting. If people knew the inside and out of what their favorite team did on a daily basis I'd guess they wouldn't be so quick to take the moral high ground

Just because everyone does something does not make it ok to do. I am sure all teams try and find that edge but if they get caught and are breaking the rules they should also face the punishment. Funny that all 12 of the Colts balls passed the test so obviously at least one team didnt cheat this past sunday

Just because everyone does something does not make it ok to do. I am sure all teams try and find that edge but if they get caught and are breaking the rules they should also face the punishment. Funny that all 12 of the Colts balls passed the test so obviously at least one team didnt cheat this past sunday
Exactly. And if everyone cheats all these secret ways, how is it that it's the Patriots always getting caught? Everyone else but them can hide it?

All I'm learning is NFL over complicates things like golf. Give each team 12 balls and let them do with them what they wish.

mike freeman @mikefreemanNFL Gerry Austin, longtime referee, says halftime Pats-Colts footballs brought in, checked at half. Colts footballs still legal. Pats were not.

mike freeman @mikefreemanNFL Gerry Austin: "I take away from that somebody let some air out of the balls."Austin said that on Mike and Mike this morning.

2 questions i would have asked?

1. did you rectify the issue?
2. did they play the 2nd half with properly inflated balls?​

All I'm learning is NFL over complicates things like golf. Give each team 12 balls and let them do with them what they wish.

I am thinking just add some officials who are in control of the Footballs at all times, pretty sure the league can afford it

mike freeman @mikefreemanNFL Gerry Austin, longtime referee, says halftime Pats-Colts footballs brought in, checked at half. Colts footballs still legal. Pats were not.

mike freeman @mikefreemanNFL Gerry Austin: "I take away from that somebody let some air out of the balls."Austin said that on Mike and Mike this morning.

2 questions i would have asked?

1. did you rectify the issue?
2. did they play the 2nd half with properly inflated balls?​

I heard on the radio on my lunch that it was corrected at halftime.

that is even funnier so the team that deflated the balls played better with properly inflated balls?

81d3af9840cbcf3c2a530d310d29c3b4.jpg

New Patriots Jersey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is even funnier so the team that deflated the balls played better with properly inflated balls?

That would be pretty ironic. I'm not sure if that report has been confirmed, I haven't seen it reported anywhere else.

That would be pretty ironic. I'm not sure if that report has been confirmed, I haven't seen it reported anywhere else.

the only thing crazier would be if the ref's knew at halftime & did nothing

I recall hearing that the balls were not taken out of play.

Yet again, I did not say it wasn't wrong. How about this, is this any different than pine tar in baseball?

Yet again, I did not say it wasn't wrong. How about this, is this any different than pine tar in baseball?

If what Leinart is saying is true, probably not.

But it is odd to me that everyone is doing it, but the Colts footballs checked out ok. May be one of those things where every team try's to get them as low as possible while still being within the rules, and the Patriots pushed the envelope way beyond that.

I honestly have no clue.

And where is the commissioner on this? He was at bob kraft's house last week lol. To me this is on brady, not bellicheck. The qb gets the ball he wants on every team, if what Rodgers says is true he likes it over inflated. Like I said, of course it's wrong, but it's a big deal because it's the patriots. If this is the Raiders or jags it's a page 8 story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back