The Official 2024 NFL Thread

I am not sure which direction Washington will go at #2. I have stopped trying to guess which quarterback will pan out at the professional level.
Picking QB’s that will excel at the NFL level is a crapshoot. PFF sees all QBs for the first four picks in this order. The Vikings have had some really bad picks in the first round at the QB position so as a fan I’m hoping that we don’t get another Christian Ponder. They’ve never picked a QB higher than #11(Culpepper) so maybe they can get this one right.

AE7D904F-1799-470F-AA19-7D018FBE79F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Why am I not surprised by this?

Can i pre-order this book?

Out of the darkness is the greatest title ever. I really hope we get to learn more about Rodgers, the great thinker. Like what makes him tick? Does he have trouble relating to people in our mundane world, and comparisons and contrasts to some of the great philosophers from centuries prior.

No No No GIF

The banning of the drop hip tackle is dumb. Literally just an unavoidable occurrence in a normal tackle from behind.

The banning of the drop hip tackle is dumb. Literally just an unavoidable occurrence in a normal tackle from behind.
I don't realistically see how they're going to be able to enforce it. Which is going to result in even more phantom flags. Yippie.

Injuries say otherwise though, don't they?

This is just for dropping straight down, we're going to see a lot more people spinning after the grab from behind to show that they are not going over the knee/leg of the runner. I think there will be a lot more issues trying to get it right all of the time.

Why am I not surprised by this?
Nowhere cold and then listed DC and Baltimore haha. No different than what Archie Manning pulled though.

I don't realistically see how they're going to be able to enforce it. Which is going to result in even more phantom flags. Yippie.
This is really the issue. Players aren't dropping down to be dirty. It's just how you tackle someone when you are catching them behind. NFL is trying to make it impossible on the defenses.

Injuries say otherwise though, don't they?

This is just for dropping straight down, we're going to see a lot more people spinning after the grab from behind to show that they are not going over the knee/leg of the runner. I think there will be a lot more issues trying to get it right all of the time.
This is just gonna create new injuries when people have to come up with new ways to get people on the ground though.

This is just gonna create new injuries when people have to come up with new ways to get people on the ground though.
Oh absolutely, I'm not doubting it'll happen. I think there will be more shoulder type injuries as a result of this.

Players don't want hip drop banned, going to cause more going low at the knees because it might be the only way left to tackle.

At this point, its flag football with in 10 years.

This is really the issue. Players aren't dropping down to be dirty. It's just how you tackle someone when you are catching them behind. NFL is trying to make it impossible on the defenses.
Obviously the refs are going to screw some up, but the writing of the rule should make it so hopefully only the obvious ones are called. The defender has to grab, swivel to the side, and drop their weight in order for it to be a penalty.

If they’re going to ban this with penalty then it needs to be specifically defined and on field calls should be reviewed like targeting is in college.

If they’re going to ban this with penalty then it needs to be specifically defined and on field calls should be reviewed like targeting is in college.
ARTICLE 18. HIP-DROP TACKLE. It is a foul if a player uses the following technique to bring a runner to the ground:

(a) grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms; and

(b) unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner’s leg(s) at or below the knee.

Haven't seen anything about being reviewable though.

Nowhere cold and then listed DC and Baltimore haha. No different than what Archie Manning pulled though.

I've thought about it a lot and i'm not really sure what it changes. If Shedeur is a clear #1 and let's say, the NY Jets have the first pick because they went 0-16 after Aaron Rodgers became VP and is too busy surveying the flat-earth and Area 51 to play football

So he refuses to go to the Jets. The Jets still have a lot of leverage, they can trade the pick to anyone....or they can draft him and give him a chance to suit up for them to improve his trade value

Otherwise he has to sit out a full year of development and re-enter the draft. Ask other young QBs how that worked out. And what if the following year the Jets again have a top pick along with Green Bay or another cold weather place.

I'm not sure who has more leverage here.

Star players getting more calls.

The only reason the Eli demand worked is there were other really good QBs. If Sanders isn't the clear cut #1 pick or if there are not any other good QBs his leverage doesn't exist. Otherwise he's getting picked and going there.

The only reason the Eli demand worked is there were other really good QBs. If Sanders isn't the clear cut #1 pick or if there are not any other good QBs his leverage doesn't exist. Otherwise he's getting picked and going there.

The Eli demand worked OK because the Chargers had Drew Brees and were OK trading down for assets and taking Rivers who they also really liked. In 2004 the league was a little different and people hadn't figured out QBs were important yet (note LOL)....the 2 and 3 picks were solidified as Non QB and guys like Big Ben and JP Losman were taken later

Today, both of those guys would go earlier. Losman in 2024 would be a top 10 pick easily.

If Sanders is a top prospect, i'm not sure who this hurts. I'm not in favor of guys being prima donnas but if he's seen as a top 5 pick, whoever has that pick could turn it into several picks (see Trey Lance trade)....And QBs are more valuable now than they were in 2004

The Eli demand worked OK because the Chargers had Drew Brees and were OK trading down for assets and taking Rivers who they also really liked. In 2004 the league was a little different and people hadn't figured out QBs were important yet (note LOL)....the 2 and 3 picks were solidified as Non QB and guys like Big Ben and JP Losman were taken later

Today, both of those guys would go earlier. Losman in 2024 would be a top 10 pick easily.

If Sanders is a top prospect, i'm not sure who this hurts. I'm not in favor of guys being prima donnas but if he's seen as a top 5 pick, whoever has that pick could turn it into several picks (see Trey Lance trade)....And QBs are more valuable now than they were in 2004
Yeah, I think the QBs being more valuable makes it less likely than it was in 2004 for someone that needs a QB. If I need a QB in 2024 and there is a top guy there is zero chance I trade the pick. I will play your game of chicken.

Yeah, I think the QBs being more valuable makes it less likely than it was in 2004 for someone that needs a QB. If I need a QB in 2024 and there is a top guy there is zero chance I trade the pick. I will play your game of chicken.

Well exactly, you can play the game of chicken (sit out a year, it worked well for Deshaun Watson!) . Or you can trade the pick for 2-3 firsts.

Either way, the team who owns the pick is probably not doing terribly.

When this would really be a problem is when a generational talent like Peyton Manning does this. But i dont believe Shedeur is that

Back