The Official Driving Range Session Thread

I am not really sure what a range session includes but I went to the range today. I hit some with the driver because that is what i struggle with the most and then hit some wedge shots trying out my new wedges, well new to me. I CANNOT and I repeat CANNOT figure out my driver. I can take what feels like the same smooth swing with my 3H and 4H and hit it well and then my driver and lose distance because of a slice. Very frustrating.....but just keep working I guess and it will get better.

I once had someone tell me that no matter how bad a range session is, you always learn something. What I learned today is that I need to make sure my right shoulder is not forward at address with the driver. Making a conscious effort to line my shoulders up with my feet brings my hands back so that I am behind the ball and closes the face. I had a good range session off the tee today.

I also like to work on my different wedge swings ( I am a Dave Pelz 4 x4 nerd ) since the range I use has so many targets including some at relatively short yardage.

What I haven't figured out is if I should work up the bag, down the bag, or hit clubs in the order I would if I were playing a hole.

Hit the range today. Fortunately, it was basically deserted so nobody objected to my hitting off the grass in front of the mats.

Right now I'm working on a swing change with the irons based on the sledgehammer/heavy-axe drill, which really clicks for me.

This is intended to promote strong ball-first contact so most shots were either pretty good (when I got it right) or badly flubbed (when I didn't). I definitely get way more distance when I get it right than with my old swing so I'll keep at it!

Driver, 3w and hybrids all were great today, which was satisfying.

Ken

Today at the range I mainly worked on my fade and draw with my driver, 3W, and 3 hybrid. I've been going to the range and working on my golf game as I would at the gym. Irons and wedges one day, and then driving, fairway wood, hybrid and putting the other. this rotation seems to help me a lot.

Right now I'm working on a swing change with the irons based on the sledgehammer/heavy-axe drill, which really clicks for me.

Is that a Shawn Clement reference I hear? Certainly one of the analogies he uses.

I just had the best driving range session in probably a year.....maybe longer. I dedicated 2 hours to what I was going to work on and I finished up in 1 hour. Such a solid feeling esp. when it worked and clicked almost right away. It was like my body was waiting for this moment and was finally able to work! Boy I am pumped!!!! I've left a range earlier before cause things were not going well but I think this might be a first having the reverse effect!!!

BOOM!!!!

I just had the best driving range session in probably a year.....maybe longer. I dedicated 2 hours to what I was going to work on and I finished up in 1 hour. Such a solid feeling esp. when it worked and clicked almost right away. It was like my body was waiting for this moment and was finally able to work! Boy I am pumped!!!! I've left a range earlier before cause things were not going well but I think this might be a first having the reverse effect!!!

BOOM!!!!

Awesome! I also applaud your leaving once you had accomplished you goals. If you stay long too long, you are bound to run into mechanical issues and then the psychological lift of a great session is lost.

Awesome! I also applaud your leaving once you had accomplished you goals. If you stay long too long, you are bound to run into mechanical issues and then the psychological lift of a great session is lost.
No doubt! I had this plan for my driver and toss out 10 balls. Started working right away. I hit another 10; same thing. I put the driver back in the bag and went on to issue number 2 I was working on with my irons. Got that worked out and then looked at my bag like, "what should I do now?" Ha! I couldn't help myself and hit another 20 drives with the adjustments just to make sure. Went perfect. Put the club back in and walked off the driving range. Felt great walking out.

Last couple of range sessions I've moved my ball placement more back in my stance and it's doing wonders to my ball flight. Still have work to do but very encouraging thus far.

Added incentive to hit the Tour Striker correctly, don't want to hurt any of my new friends.

6agebynu.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I still have to wait for the spring season to practice, damn it!

Added incentive to hit the Tour Striker correctly, don't want to hurt any of my new friends.

6agebynu.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk
Worst case you an have duck for dinner. P.s. I remember one day a duck got killed at the driving range by a drive... poor thing.

Worst case you an have duck for dinner. P.s. I remember one day a duck got killed at the driving range by a drive... poor thing.

By the end of my session out there, there were probably 30 to 40 ducks congregating near the 150 yard flags. It made me just hit my Tour Striker wedge for the entire last bucket, which was probably a good thing.

There are a lot of things I want to work on this winter, but for today, I was working on taking the club back more on plane and also feeling more connected in my swing. In terms of the takeaway, I feel like the clubhead goes straight back on the target line, I have a bad habit of yanking the club to the inside on the takeaway. For the connection side of things, I put a towel under both of my armpits and hit some balls, that felt weird at first but helped out a lot. I still have a fair amount of overswing going on, but I think that's because my elbows fold too much at the top of my swing, will have to work on that in the future.

Have been working on a full turn and a nice steady tempo, since I've been rushing the downswing lately. Bad luck yesterday though, as I did something to my back on the first swing out there, then played 9 holes and pain just got worse. Weather is nice here for the next few days, but I think I'll have to Freddie Couples it and wait till the back gets back to normal.

Back