The Official MS Excel Nerd thread

Actually just looking to make a time sheet. Instead of having to write the days of the week and the date, I want to have it done automatically if that makes sense. I'm sure there is a way to do it I just don't know how to

Sounds like what we have at work - each month is split by days and you enter the hours worked for morning and afternoon and the sheet keeps a running total for the month

I am very proficient with the basics and can write macros and some other moderately advanced stuff but recognize too, that there is alot more I dont know than what I do know....not real good with the shortcuts so much. If I was, I could probably do things I want to do alot faster.

We're currently adopting a new application at work called Tableau. Very cool relational database...not as powerful as Access from a computing and flexibility standpoint, but it has incredible graphical, reporting and dashboard capabilities. I have a license and just received some training a few weeks ago and am converting alot of what I used to do in Excel, over to Tableau...been playing with it for the past week and figuring out how to do some pretty neat stuff with it.

Good stuff, sub. That program sounds interesting.

Re: the shortcuts in Excel, if you ever do find yourself working in Excel often in the future, learning the keyboard shortcuts is very easy. Just hit Alt, then follow the prompts that pop up on the Ribbons (i.e. H is Home Ribbon, F is the Windows icon). If you take a week of just using the keyboard to navigate, you'll pick em up quite quick.

Actually just looking to make a time sheet. Instead of having to write the days of the week and the date, I want to have it done automatically if that makes sense. I'm sure there is a way to do it I just don't know how to

Chunky, are you familiar with the auto-fill feature?

Heavy Excel user here. I am a fan in general. I don't consider myself to be anything but a novice but I can get past most problems I encounter. Someone mentioned it a few posts above, but finding a spreadsheet created by a more advanced user and reverse engineering it is my preferred way to learn via Excel.

I pretty much work in Excel all day, every day. I probably know more about it than anyone else in my company and because of that I'm considered much more valuable to the company than I probably should be. I need to become more proficient in writing VBA. That would be awesome.

Chipped via Tapatalk, never chutted.

I actually just finished a MBA class on Quantitative Analysis and Decision Making that was all based on excel. Focused on optimizations and regressions.
It was a blast. I am trying to build a regression model for a project at work, hopefully I can get it to work out and have some statistical significance.

Hey maybe this thread will come in handy for me! I am an accounting major in my senior year, and for whatever reason my advisor never recommended or set me up for an excel class so I've done a lot of my calculations using a financial calculator, but I know Excel is much quicker and easier, especially once I get an accounting job. I finally got signed up for an Excel for Accounting class that started yesterday so I can familiarize myself with how to use formulas. I know the basics on how to create some tables, but other than that I'm pretty much a beginner in Excel so maybe some people in here can give me some guidance if I need it!

Good Luck Man!

Back