The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow..we must be an unhappy lot. I think it took a year for the last Rant Thread to get to big. This one took what 8 months :)

I hate roundabouts. Traffic circles or whatever you call them. People don't know how to drive through them. Traffic signals work just fine.

ugh, have to break in a new rant thread! :bulgy-eyes:

Flooding. All underpasses (and most roads) in my area are closed due to flooding and I cannot get to work. Luckily I have a job where I can work from home so it looks like that is what I am doing today.

Wow..we must be an unhappy lot. I think it took a year for the last Rant Thread to get to big. This one took what 8 months :)

Oh man, it was that big long winded post of mine that did it!!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and you're right - sometimes we just need to vent. Typing that out and reading it back made me think that I can still be active in trying to make it work for another year.

Oh man, it was that big long winded post of mine that did it!!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and you're right - sometimes we just need to vent. Typing that out and reading it back made me think that I can still be active in trying to make it work for another year.
LO!!! I was thinking it was my rambling reply :)

You're welcome and Good Luck!! Sounds like you've got some great experience and education behind you.

I hate roundabouts. Traffic circles or whatever you call them. People don't know how to drive through them. Traffic signals work just fine.

Funny story ( at least to me ) about those damned roundabouts... When I first met Ms. Ball, we met at a restaurant by her house. Afterwards, we were going to go back to her house, so she has me follow her. Well, after we have to go through 4 roundabouts in less than a mile drive, and I nearly getting hit by a woman who was clearly clueless about them, I get out of the car and I say 'WTH was that all about!" Cindy saw it and said she wasn't 100% sure I was going to keep following her!

I hate when people are constantly late. If you run 15 mins behind to everything.. leave 15 mins earlier.

Funny story ( at least to me ) about those damned roundabouts... When I first met Ms. Ball, we met at a restaurant by her house. Afterwards, we were going to go back to her house, so she has me follow her. Well, after we have to go through 4 roundabouts in less than a mile drive, and I nearly getting hit by a woman who was clearly clueless about them, I get out of the car and I say 'WTH was that all about!" Cindy saw it and said she wasn't 100% sure I was going to keep following her!

I thought it was going to go the way of she tried to lose you by going through all the roundabouts, but you made it through so she had no choice but to marry you, as you clearly weren't going away. Ha

I thought it was going to go the way of she tried to lose you by going through all the roundabouts, but you made it through so she had no choice but to marry you, as you clearly weren't going away. Ha

Yea, I think that was her back up plan if we didn't hit it off!

Slow drivers who refuse to pull over and as soon as I change lanes to go around them, they find their gas pedal and make it a race. A-holes.

Took my dad 3 hours to take his normal 50 minute drive, and he got lucky. Some people are stranded between flood zones from their commute last night. And already more rain today and more coming later. Doesn't Mother Nature know how to moderate?

Today, I've had two people turn down job offers. They are currently unemployed.

People who are allergic to money, anger me. I will help anyone find a role, and the right role. Sometimes the right role isn't available yet.

I actually like them, and in theory they make a lot of sense (they are a little about traffic flow; and a lot about reducing vehicle-vehicle and vehicle-pedestrian accident points).

But I agree 100% that people do not know how to drive through them.

I actually like them, and in theory they make a lot of sense (they are a little about traffic flow; and a lot about reducing vehicle-vehicle and vehicle-pedestrian accident points).

But I agree 100% that people do not know how to drive through them.

Roundabouts have done a great job reducing massive car crashes probably 20% and increases minor fender benders 10,000% around here. I wish I owned an auto body shop...

Made kind of a communication boo boo at work yesterday. A somewhat poorly worded email to our sister plant led to one of our departments getting extremely defensive, and now I'm kind of eating my words a little bit. Nothing huge and terrible, but not a great way to start the day.

Oh well, there is always room for improvement, and this is one of those cases for me.

Flooding. All underpasses (and most roads) in my area are closed due to flooding and I cannot get to work. Luckily I have a job where I can work from home so it looks like that is what I am doing today.

Made kind of a communication boo boo at work yesterday. A somewhat poorly worded email to our sister plant led to one of our departments getting extremely defensive, and now I'm kind of eating my words a little bit. Nothing huge and terrible, but not a great way to start the day.

Oh well, there is always room for improvement, and this is one of those cases for me.

I did something similar once to my boss. He detected anger in my email when I told him later it was frustration.

We agreed that sometimes it's still best to pick up the phone.

I did something similar once to my boss. He detected anger in my email when I told him later it was frustration.

We agreed that sometimes it's still best to pick up the phone.

I would definitely agree - and that's more or less exactly what happened in this case. The trouble is, we like to keep traceability of these types of things, so email is actually preferred. The problem comes when someone misreads the tone - somebody basically read my words as insinuating that they weren't doing their job correctly, which was not the case.

As I said, I need to read and reread my emails a little more carefully. And a follow up phone call is never a bad plan either, just to clarify.

I would definitely agree - and that's more or less exactly what happened in this case. The trouble is, we like to keep traceability of these types of things, so email is actually preferred. The problem comes when someone misreads the tone - somebody basically read my words as insinuating that they weren't doing their job correctly, which was not the case.

As I said, I need to read and reread my emails a little more carefully. And a follow up phone call is never a bad plan either, just to clarify.
In the position I mentioned above, I often responded to irate guests via email. As we know the customer is always right :) Sometimes I could tend to get a bit to defensive or confrontational with them...,never a good thing. I ALWAYS had my Assistant GM read them before I published them to make sure the "tone" was ok.

I often times did the same thing with emails I sent to my boss if it was a touchy situation. This particular day she had already left. When she read it the next morning, she just had this look on her face like she knew what was coming, and she was right.

I understand the documentation trace being needed and I'm like that as well. In your case I think that person might also be a bit sensitive or maybe even had a reason to feel guilty. Often times people that take an email that is directed at many people personal, have their own issues.

But it's a tough balance sometimes. Glad it worked out OK in the end for you.

The Official Rant of the Day

A guy screaming at the top of his lungs shouting religious rants in a Speedway gas station parking lot. I mean stuff that is just rediculous. Such as "God knows your a closet alcoholic." Such a weird thing to do.

Flew home yesterday from CT and we have an 8 year old who has been flying his entire life, so we have high tolerance for screaming kids on the plane, but not so much for the parents who let there kids walk around freely, constantly kick the back of seat & put there arms and/or legs between the seats so all of a sudden there is a small arm/foot on your arm rest

In the position I mentioned above, I often responded to irate guests via email. As we know the customer is always right :) Sometimes I could tend to get a bit to defensive or confrontational with them...,never a good thing. I ALWAYS had my Assistant GM read them before I published them to make sure the "tone" was ok.

I often times did the same thing with emails I sent to my boss if it was a touchy situation. This particular day she had already left. When she read it the next morning, she just had this look on her face like she knew what was coming, and she was right.

I understand the documentation trace being needed and I'm like that as well. In your case I think that person might also be a bit sensitive or maybe even had a reason to feel guilty. Often times people that take an email that is directed at many people personal, have their own issues.

But it's a tough balance sometimes. Glad it worked out OK in the end for you.

Yeah, the guy who got pissed definitely mishandled things a little bit, causing us to ship something late, and he was stressed due to a bunch of crap coming through at the same time, so it was a matter of compounding negatives I think and he just kind of lost it. He'll get over it, but I do need to be more sensitive to him in the future. What needed to get done got done (the part was rush shipped), but it read to him like we threw him under the bus in order to get things moving and I can understand that. Like you said, tough balance. Gotta somehow correct a lack of action without seeming too accusatory. Should work out this time, though.

Irate guests...that does NOT sound fun at all hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back