Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear it snickerdog. It’s always such a terrible day when we have to say good bye. I hope you have lots of happy and fun memories with her.

So sorry for your loss @snickerdog. It is so tough to lose a pet. My old buddy is getting up there, just turned 13. I don't even want to think about it. T&Ps

Last edited:
So sorry to read of your loss @snickerdog. Keep the memories.

Sorry for your loss.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the thoughts and kind words. I appreciate it greatly.

So very sorry snickerdog, condolences to you and all. I hope Cocoa is happily playing with our beloved Chocolate, Carly Girl.
0c28914e2b2cb3e038c084f16660d96c.jpg

Well to pile on with the sadness... our Cane Corso, Clyde, has taken a turn for the worse. We've been aware of his hip dysplasia since an x-ray at 6 months old (now 10.5) but although always slender in the hips and hind quarters, he always got around just fine.

He'd been stiffening more over the last few years and the OTC joint supplements were no longer cutting it. So he's been on steroids for a long while and another med that dulls the nerves, for the last couple months.

Since losing Carly, he's rapidly worsened. Still eager to get up to eat or play but for all other regular functions, just to go do his business or get a drink of water, he's extremely unsteady and you can just see his left hind leg locking a bit on him as he tries to shake it off when first rising (we always help him up when we can get to him in time).

He's a tremendous dog. A proven brave protector, even temperament, loves kids and a glutton for hugs and kisses. We will not let him suffer, his vibrance at meal time and at play (only talking 5 minutes, no overexertion) will determine things.

Years ago, I asked our vet in NY if I should limit his activity, even play time. He said, "let him be the dog he should be, let him be a happy dog. To limit his activity is to limit his desire for fun. And that may extinguish his will to live. Enjoy him while you can and let him indulge in you, for as long as you all can. That's the happy life of a beloved pet."

It's nearly 4 AM, tonight was hard. More for me than for him. Such a tough breed, such a tough dog, I've never heard him so much as whimper in discomfort.

But he is very uncomfortable, that's plain to see. So is the future.

cc8ac0cf88c678b346f56c87c4c7acf9.jpg

Well to pile on with the sadness... our Cane Corso, Clyde, has taken a turn for the worse. We've been aware of his hip dysplasia since an x-ray at 6 months old (now 10.5) but although always slender in the hips and hind quarters, he always got around just fine.

He'd been stiffening more over the last few years and the OTC joint supplements were no longer cutting it. So he's been on steroids for a long while and another med that dulls the nerves, for the last couple months.

Since losing Carly, he's rapidly worsened. Still eager to get up to eat or play but for all other regular functions, just to go do his business or get a drink of water, he's extremely unsteady and you can just see his left hind leg locking a bit on him as he tries to shake it off when first rising (we always help him up when we can get to him in time).

He's a tremendous dog. A proven brave protector, even temperament, loves kids and a glutton for hugs and kisses. We will not let him suffer, his vibrance at meal time and at play (only talking 5 minutes, no overexertion) will determine things.

Years ago, I asked our vet in NY if I should limit his activity, even play time. He said, "let him be the dog he should be, let him be a happy dog. To limit his activity is to limit his desire for fun. And that may extinguish his will to live. Enjoy him while you can and let him indulge in you, for as long as you all can. That's the happy life of a beloved pet."

It's nearly 4 AM, tonight was hard. More for me than for him. Such a tough breed, such a tough dog, I've never heard him so much as whimper in discomfort.

It is so tough to watch and even harder to make that decision. Lots of positive thoughts for you all. He is a very beautiful!!!! I'm sure he misses his sister as well.

@WMac19 Sorry to hear, I had an Australian Shepherd that was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at about that same age. Although he didn't make it to his 2 year old birthday I will always remember him fondly. We tried everything and the medication he was on his liver started to fail. But I swear 6 months later his reincarnation showed up and has not left my side since.

Sad to hear WMac

Happy gotcha day to this guy! It’s been one year since he rescued us and I never thought I would love a dog like a family member but this guy is my dude!
974bc1a5a98c546263cf128b95b97314.jpg

Had to make the tough decision this afternoon to put the oldest member of my pet family to rest. Our chihuahua Raul was with us for almost 17 years, he will be missed. He was a tough little guy and had been through a lot over the years. I had him before my kids, before I was married and even still after we divorced. Damn.

Had to make the tough decision this afternoon to put the oldest member of my pet family to rest. Our chihuahua Raul was with us for almost 17 years, he will be missed. He was a tough little guy and had been through a lot over the years. I had him before my kids, before I was married and even still after we divorced. Damn.

Very sorry for your loss.

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss! I know how much you all loved him.

So sorry to everyone who has experienced a lost lately. One of the things I hate about this thread, but fully support as everyone should have a source to vent and get support as it's never easy.

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Sounds you have 17 years of great memories with Raul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy gotcha day to this guy! It’s been one year since he rescued us and I never thought I would love a dog like a family member but this guy is my dude!
974bc1a5a98c546263cf128b95b97314.jpg

Great way to put it: he rescued you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear it, here’s to the happy memories you’ve had with him.

So sorry to hear this, jdtox.

Very sorry to hear this sir.

jeez dude. you have been through so much. thinking about you right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a cat (Merlin the Cat) who I got after I got out of the marines in my early 20’s who was with me through the good times & bad. He died when I was 42 in 2013. I looked back at all the things that he was with me for and it kind of blew my mind. Sorry to hear about Raul, sounds like I would have liked him.

Sorry to hear about all the losses lately, hasn't been a good time of year for that. My family has had lots of pets over the years and sadly it never gets easier when it is there time to go, all you can do is look back on the happy times and remember them at their best.

This Sarurday we have an in home visit with a potential dog we are tryingto rescue. We lost our basset hound last may so its time to fill the void that she left. Hopefully she meshes well with our other 2 puppers, shes going to be quite bigger than them being a black lab/ great dane mix. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back