9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Is a pull just a closed club face at impact or is there more to it than that?

Anybody got any good tips to straighten a pull out?

Up until this year I had either a slice or a straight pull and the reason for both was an pretty severe out to in swing, usually I left the club head open and that produced the slice, but when my hands got quickly through the ball it would actually square the club face but because I was swinging out to in it would be facing closed and create the pull. I've gotten much better with getting my swing from in to out this year off the tee and that has cured the pull, my miss is now either a push by not getting the face square or a hook (can't win for losing).

I'm sure there are other reasons for a pull but the out to in swing was my problem.

Could be a closed club face, your left hip not clearing out fast enough, or your hands getting through the shot without enough of the hips opening up....try opening your left hip up faster at the top of your swing to start

Is a pull just a closed club face at impact or is there more to it than that?

Anybody got any good tips to straighten a pull out?

Up until this year I had either a slice or a straight pull and the reason for both was an pretty severe out to in swing, usually I left the club head open and that produced the slice, but when my hands got quickly through the ball it would actually square the club face but because I was swinging out to in it would be facing closed and create the pull. I've gotten much better with getting my swing from in to out this year off the tee and that has cured the pull, my miss is now either a push by not getting the face square or a hook (can't win for losing).

I'm sure there are other reasons for a pull but the out to in swing was my problem.

That sounds like me. I've got an over the top swing and while I've straightened my driver out, everything else is going left.

Could be a closed club face, your left hip not clearing out fast enough, or your hands getting through the shot without enough of the hips opening up....try opening your left hip up faster at the top of your swing to start

Forgive my noobish question, but what does that mean, opening the left hip? How does one do that?

It's an ugly miss since it tends to go really far. My understanding was always that you coming out to in with a club face that closed.

ideally, when you're at the top of your swing and ready to transition down to the ball your first move should be a 'bump' of the hips where the hips dip forward a bit to start the downswing. as that happens your left hip will 'clear' to the left enabling your arms and hands a clear path to the ball and allow you to follow your swing through with a full rotation.

Forgive my noobish question, but what does that mean, opening the left hip? How does one do that?

It's an ugly miss since it tends to go really far. My understanding was always that you coming out to in with a club face that closed.

That's me in one sentence. Always had a bit of a pull ever since I got the VRs. Used to be 5-10 yards. Now it's 30. I've been good at closing the club to correct my slice a bit, but it's gone too far and now everything from my 3 wood down is going left. Wedges are dead straight though.

I hit pulls and pull hooks when my hands and wrists get too loose through the ball and they get ahead of my arms and body, causing the face to aim left and I make contact a ball or two forward of where I want to. On a bad day I do this intermittently with a driver and everything down to a 9 iron, on a good day I can do this on purpose and hit that 180 yard 7 iron that flies really high and left where my normal 7i is about 160.

See a pro dude. It will be very worth your time.

ideally, when you're at the top of your swing and ready to transition down to the ball your first move should be a 'bump' of the hips where the hips dip forward a bit to start the downswing. as that happens your left hip will 'clear' to the left enabling your arms and hands a clear path to the ball and allow you to follow your swing through with a full rotation.

Makes sense. I think I do do that though. It's one of the things Andy wanted me to work on. The weight shift across my body onto my left leg. Is this it, or am I confusing things?

See a pro dude. It will be very worth your time.

Oh believe me, I know. I'm just having difficulty getting the time together right now.

that's a good part of it. assuming you do all of that as you say, it may be your hands firing through too fast or just the club head being closed on an out to in swing

Makes sense. I think I do do that though. It's one of the things Andy wanted me to work on. The weight shift across my body onto my left leg. Is this it, or am I confusing things?

that's a good part of it. assuming you do all of that as you say, it may be your hands firing through too fast or just the club head being closed on an out to in swing

Perhaps a little from column a and a little from column b?

This is the last video I posted to Andy. It's a few months old, but hopefully shows somethings.

Edit: I've changed my grip since then. I've rotated my right hand more around the club to co-inside with a grip trainer I recently got. (Review coming soon.)

Keep your wrists firm and feel like you are hitting with the back of your left hand instead of feeling like you are hitting at the ball with your right hand. This can cause you to throw your right hand and arm outside the line, that is one cause of an out to in and over the top move even with good rotation otherwise.

Hitting a pull isn't always caused by the out to in swing. Please remember ball flights starting direction is cause more by club face then swing path. The club face dictates 85% of the starting direction. We can have an out to in swing with the face pretty square to target and hit a decently straight ball.

Here are videos to prove it.

Hitting a pull isn't always caused by the out to in swing. Please remember ball flights starting direction is cause more by club face then swing path. The club face dictates 85% of the starting direction. We can have an out to in swing with the face pretty square to target and hit a decently straight ball.

Here are videos to prove it.

Those are some great videos BL, thanks for sharing them!

Back