The Red Wine Thread

Nothing will ever touch France wines so I never compare anything to that even though I am a Northern California wine homer ;)

Depends on whether you want to taste more terroir or more fruit. But many French wines are going towards more fruit.

I like the Rhone-base wines from Tablas Creek around Paso Robles - owned by the French vintners -- Perrin. I get a small shipment every quarter - put them away for 3-4 months, and then, life is good.

And tomorrow, I go to a Brunello di Montalcino Tasting.

I don't know too much about Italian wines -- always an education.

RED WINE ONLY - anti wine snobs

And tomorrow, I go to a B[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85098)][FONT=&quot]runello di Montalcino Tasting.

I don't know too much about Italian wines -- always an education.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Lucky. Brunello is the truest form of Sangiovese. Love it. Montalcino also has the best tomatoes and olive oil IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close second for me but I’ve got to go with the OG. Burgundy.

i did a blowout wine dinner at berns in tampa for my 30th birthday. i worked with their somm to build the list for the night. i had yet to have my aha moment with burgundy, so i asked him to pick a burgundy that would give me that moment i had been waiting for. he went with a mid 90s roumier bonnes-mares. snooze fest! oh well, i guess i'm not as eclectic in my tastes as i thought. but i do love the really fat chardonnays that come out of some of the grand cru sites in burgundy. they're just too hit or miss for me to drop that much coin.

And tomorrow, I go to a Brunello [FONT=&]di Montalcino Tasting.

I don't know too much about Italian wines -- always an education.[/FONT]

very interesting wines. a nose like none other. overpriced for my palate, but for what goes into the bottle and the restrictions on how it's made, i understand why they're so expensive. let us know what you think!

Nothing will ever touch France wines so I never compare anything to that even though I am a Northern California wine homer ;)

1976 is on line 2 : )

Depends on whether you want to taste more terroir or more fruit. But many French wines are going towards more fruit.

I like the Rhone-base wines from Tablas Creek around Paso Robles - owned by the French vintners -- Perrin. I get a small shipment every quarter - put them away for 3-4 months, and then, life is good.

Love Tablas Creek, but in Paso I have to give the nod to L'Aventure, their Rhone reds are to die for!

RED WINE ONLY - anti wine snobs

Don’t hate on the French wines. What ever we make in the U.S there is a better version of it in Europe. Minus Zinfandel.

Didn't understand the reference so a Google search provided some surprising results! Always interesting to see the results from a blind tasting..

Don’t hate on the French wines. What ever we make in the U.S there is a better version of it in Europe. Minus Zinfandel.

I’m definitely not hating on old world wines. Love all, just wanted to point out that not only can the US wines compete, they did and won.

I’m definitely not hating on old world wines. Love all, just wanted to point out that not only can the US wines compete, they did and won.

Nah I know. I love domestic wines as well, but as a whole I typically prefer the old world styles.

And tomorrow, I go to a Brunello [FONT=&]di Montalcino Tasting.

I don't know too much about Italian wines -- always an education.[/FONT]

Great wine. I love the Rossos since they are similar (not aged as long) but cheaper

Love Tablas Creek, but in Paso I have to give the nod to L'Aventure, their Rhone reds are to die for!

Will have to try them if I can find 'em. Thx.

very interesting wines. a nose like none other. overpriced for my palate, but for what goes into the bottle and the restrictions on how it's made, i understand why they're so expensive. let us know what you think!

Apparently, 2012 is a good year.

Most of the pricing is $35-65, a few at $69, one at $94, and the 2007 at $118 - well, it's always good to taste and go back for seconds!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 5.16.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 5.16.32 PM.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
Didn't understand the reference so a Google search provided some surprising results! Always interesting to see the results from a blind tasting..

don’t watch bottle shock. the movie is terrible. read the judgment of paris by george taber. the. have some friends over and do your own judgment of paris. fun times!

Most of the pricing is $35-65, a few at $69, one at $94, and the 2007 at $118 - well, it's always good to taste and go back for seconds!

2012 would be pretty young still, only one year into its retail life (5 year minimum barrel+bottle aging iirc).

2004 would be a good vintage to start with. still fruit but starting to settle down.

again, not my favorite but still a fun experience. i would rather go igt if i’m doing italian wine, or barolo if it’s something with strict governance.

and funny you mention tablas creek. i had the cotes de tablas for my birthday wine last week. not my preferred style but still tasty. tonight we are doing herman story 2012 bolt cutter with some burgers. i do love paso reds!

2012 would be pretty young still, only one year into its retail life (5 year minimum barrel+bottle aging iirc).

2004 would be a good vintage to start with. still fruit but starting to settle down.

again, not my favorite but still a fun experience. i would rather go igt if i’m doing italian wine, or barolo if it’s something with strict governance.

and funny you mention tablas creek. i had the cotes de tablas for my birthday wine last week. not my preferred style but still tasty. tonight we are doing herman story 2012 bolt cutter with some burgers. i do love paso reds!

Thx - I'm thinking it's young to be put away for several years. Hope they cool it down and open 'em up for several hours beforehand.

Opened a 2015 Cotes de Tablas last night - a table wine with good fruit and some complexity. I find it's one of those bottles that you open and drink the same night. You're right - not a fave, a light drinker. But good.

I buy red wines at a Costco that carries a giant selection of European, South America, and Australian Reds. From what I've found Costco offers very good reds overall.

Attended tasting - apparently a lot of people like Brunellos. Even if they don't buy them, they like to taste them. The wines were of varying styles and there were about 5 that I liked above the others in the tasting. Because they were 2012's, the traditional Brunellos were tannic, but not overly so, and were smooth. A few went nicely into the mouth, and then the tannins took over your teeth and lined the insides of the mouth. Some of the less expensive were more dark cherry. More expensive Brunellos exhibited a lot of complexity with the wood bouncing against the fruit - dark cherry/rasberry fruit, some mushroomish, and then vanilla from the wood.

The "newer" style Brunellos represented by the Giodo and Castella di Banfi were more friendly as in less tannic with a little more fruit. They seemed less complex.

At $64-69 per bottle for the ones I truly enjoyed, although the $100 were good, I was not overwhelmed, I passed on buying. I tend to look for values in the $25-39 range and will occasionally go higher on special occasions. But I enjoyed tasting and the mouth-ucation.

While in Vegas a couple months ago, we had dinner at Old Homestead Steakhouse in Caesars. Our waiter James was a Somm, I had told him we wanted a Cab in $150 range. We ended up with a bottle of Orin Swift Papillon and it was remarkable. Of course we overpaid but that is to be expected in a high end steakhouse. I bought 2 bottles from Total Wine for $65 each when we got home and I'll probably open one of them this weekend after we get moved into the new house.

While in Vegas a couple months ago, we had dinner at Old Homestead Steakhouse in Caesars. Our waiter James was a Somm, I had told him we wanted a Cab in $150 range. We ended up with a bottle of Orin Swift Papillon and it was remarkable. Of course we overpaid but that is to be expected in a high end steakhouse. I bought 2 bottles from Total Wine for $65 each when we got home and I'll probably open one of them this weekend after we get moved into the new house.

I'll have to give those a try Tony. My go to cabs are Silver Oak and Caymus. Also enjoy Prisoner quite a bit.

no pic of the bottle, but had one of the best $25 bottles of wine i can remember in a long time. 2012 watermill estate mourvèdre from walla walla. freaking delicious! highly recommend if you’re into new world wines.

no pic of the bottle, but had one of the best $25 bottles of wine i can remember in a long time. 2012 watermill estate mourvèdre from walla walla. freaking delicious! highly recommend if you’re into new world wines.

I need to put this on my list to try.

i’m so pumped about some bottles i just bought online tonight. my family will be out of town for a week and i planned a kicka$$ menu. which means i need kicka$$ wine too! it’s been awhile since i splurged on wine, so i made up for lost time. i’ll be sure to make posts in here after i crack these open in a couple weeks. there will be some gems in the lineup. sorry in advance for breaking the price point requirement in the op. well, not THAT sorry.

i’m so pumped about some bottles i just bought online tonight. my family will be out of town for a week and i planned a kicka$$ menu. which means i need kicka$$ wine too! it’s been awhile since i splurged on wine, so i made up for lost time. i’ll be sure to make posts in here after i crack these open in a couple weeks. there will be some gems in the lineup. sorry in advance for breaking the price point requirement in the op. well, not THAT sorry.

That OP was a real donkey....lol

Back