The Remaking of TWright971

TWright971

Team Hackers 2024
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all i'm TWright971. A struggling golf nut like many here on THP. I was lucky enough to get selected as a participant for the 2022 Budget Golf Championship and meet a few of you on here and that sparked my participation here to a new level. It was an amazing journey and this website continues to be a wonderful place for me to come and talk all things golf and learn more and more about the sport that I love.

Now, today, I'm starting a new journey, the remaking of myself as a golfer. Today I sit as a 20.4 handicap, short knocking Fat guy. For 2023 I plan to get down to a less Fat, longer hitting 10 handicap. This thread will be my journey.

Here are things the data I have are telling me:
Per Arccos (I've added Shot scope but haven't played enough rounds to get meaningful data from it yet) compared to a 10 handicap I:

Lose 8 strokes Driving- A lot of this is due to distance (both because on good strikes my distance is still short, but also because of distance lost on bad strikes). My accuracy is fine.
Lose 5.4 strokes with Approach shots - 67% of my approach shots come up short (Some is this again is distance related, but even when I began adjusting my target to back of the green distances my bad strikes still eat me up).
Lost .6 strokes with short game
Lost 1.7 stroke putting

I also know that I lose some strokes later in rounds when i'm getting a bit tired (either through bad decision making, or my body just getting tired and making poor moves on the ball)

Based on this data I have a plan of attack...I just got a new SkyTrak and have my basement hitting station setup and will be trying to make a push to get to a 10 handicap.

1. I need to increase stamina - How, starting a new workout plan and increasing my cardio. I'll be doing a basic workout plan hitting the major body parts in an Upper/Lower body split (working out 4 days a week, and hitting my exercise bike and/or treadmill more).
2. I need to hit the ball longer - How, getting in better shape through my workout plan and increasing my cardio, and working on speed training with the Stack System.
3. I need to get better at ball striking. - How? I plan on working with the Me and My Golf app and some of their training plans, as well as Adam Youngs Strike Plan.

Thanks if you took the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any tips and encouragement you provide along the way.

Subscribed so I can see if you hit fewer trees. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck on the journey and there are a ton of folks on here rooting for you.

Good luck man! I’ll be cheering you on!

Hi all i'm TWright971. A struggling golf nut like many here on THP. I was lucky enough to get selected as a participant for the 2022 Budget Golf Championship and meet a few of you on here and that sparked my participation here to a new level. It was an amazing journey and this website continues to be a wonderful place for me to come and talk all things golf and learn more and more about the sport that I love.

Now, today, I'm starting a new journey, the remaking of myself as a golfer. Today I sit as a 20.4 handicap, short knocking Fat guy. For 2023 I plan to get down to a less Fat, longer hitting 10 handicap. This thread will be my journey.

Here are things the data I have are telling me:
Per Arccos (I've added Shot scope but haven't played enough rounds to get meaningful data from it yet) compared to a 10 handicap I:

Lose 8 strokes Driving- A lot of this is due to distance (both because on good strikes my distance is still short, but also because of distance lost on bad strikes). My accuracy is fine.
Lose 5.4 strokes with Approach shots - 67% of my approach shots come up short (Some is this again is distance related, but even when I began adjusting my target to back of the green distances my bad strikes still eat me up).
Lost .6 strokes with short game
Lost 1.7 stroke putting

I also know that I lose some strokes later in rounds when i'm getting a bit tired (either through bad decision making, or my body just getting tired and making poor moves on the ball)

Based on this data I have a plan of attack...I just got a new SkyTrak and have my basement hitting station setup and will be trying to make a push to get to a 10 handicap.

1. I need to increase stamina - How, starting a new workout plan and increasing my cardio. I'll be doing a basic workout plan hitting the major body parts in an Upper/Lower body split (working out 4 days a week, and hitting my exercise bike and/or treadmill more).
2. I need to hit the ball longer - How, getting in better shape through my workout plan and increasing my cardio, and working on speed training with the Stack System.
3. I need to get better at ball striking. - How? I plan on working with the Me and My Golf app and some of their training plans, as well as Adam Youngs Strike Plan.

Thanks if you took the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any tips and encouragement you provide along the way.

Rooting for you!!! Youve got this!

Meeting you at Dormie I have no doubt on your resolve to get better! Look forward to following!

@TWright971 I am wishing you the best!

My suggestion is to look at the steps towards your goals on the smallest level possible (day to day commitment) and the results over the long term.

Motivation is easy, but will fade. Discipline is how you’ll get there.

Look forward to following your progress in this. Was great getting the chance to meet you at Dormie.

Good luck, it'll be a fun journey!!!

Congrats on taking the first step, we’ll be cheering you on!

Heck yeah! Will be following

Good luck on your improvement! I would have 1 suggestion. Don’t compare yourself to a 10 handicap just yet. That is goal to get there but if you constantly are seeing negatives in your app that can creep into your psyche.

Tiger’s dad wanted him to dominate at every level before moving on. I would love for you to see all the gained strokes before moving on to a handicap or 2 lower.

Go get that single digit handicap!

Sounds like a solid plan. Obviously, the big stroke losses are tee and approach, but, don't neglect the short game as you tackle the long.

Looking forward to hearing that you improved your body and your game. I give you credit for approaching both with a well thought out plan.

Alright, just a quick update on the first couple weeks. I knew the diet wasn’t gonna happen as we have the holidays a couple birthdays and such all in December so my focus has been on working out and getting some drill work in on my swing.

Working out I’ve been pretty consistent with lifting but my cardio hasn’t been good since I’m dealing with a bit of a foot issue that is painful when walking. It’s coming around now so cardio will need to be stepped up.

My routine downstairs has looked like this:

Go down and do some mat work to get warmed up.

Cat/cows, Glute bridges, bird dogs, crunches, half kneeling rotations.

Once warm I go warm up hitting balls, pitch a few wedges working up to some full swings with the PW (or 10 iron, whichever you prefer). I’m working on ball first contact so I start out with the towel drill, changing clubs every 2 to 3 swings. Also working on controlling my flying right elbow in the backswing so start with a rehearsal practice swing trying to keep the right elbow more up and down vs flying out. For now I continue that as I work through Most of my irons. Then pull out the driver for a few swings there just to keep it feeling fresh. I’ve been doing this 3-4 times a week.

When that is done I hit up my bench/dumbbells, usually split it up into upper/lower.

Upper:
Bench DB press
DB Row
DB shoulder press
DB curls
band tricep extensions

Lower
DB Squat
Lunges
DB RDL

I think come January I’ll make an appointment at golftec and get a swing evaluation to see what else to focus on.

Looking forward to following along, you’ve got this 👊. Love to see that fitness is a part of the journey as well.

You got this. Look forward to the progress. Accountability helps so keep posting here.

Good for you having a strong, though demanding plan. I'm no expert, but depending on how big you really are, I'd suggest a nutritionist as well, and in case you're not doing it, tons of core work, and stretching.

I'm old, but after my weight loss, despite lots of exercise my distance suffered, I'm gonna work on that this year myself. That said I'm much more accurate than ever off the tee thanks to slightly heavier shafts. I think I accept the distance loss for the accuracy gain.

Nothing but good luck to you on this adventure.

Following… good luck on your quest.

First off congrats and good luck on the health aspect of this journey. If nothing else, you’ve put yourself on the path to not only enjoy golf, but life also. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and enjoy the journey as much as you can.

January 2, 2023 golf swing

So I have been working on my backswing, trying to get my backswing more on plane, keeping my hands from lifting at the top of the backswing, and the elbow from flying. I am making some progress, and my contact has been more solid because of it but still have a ways to go. Not lifting the hands nearly as bad as I used to, but the elbow is still flaring out a touch, but no where near where it was before (before it would really fly out and the club would get way over the line).

How do you see yourself adding Shot Scope to help in your swing remaking?

How do you see yourself adding Shot Scope to help in your swing remaking?

I have been checking out some of the Data Analysis from the 22 Data Experience asking myself the same question. I know being a short hitter is a place where I lose strokes, so that has led to me restart my distance training with the stack system. It has been a while so I redid the assessment today and the app has me going again on Friday.

I can’t wait to get enough rounds in to get meaningful data from the shot scope. Seeing if there are any approach or putting distances that seem to stick out as weak links compared to the other parts of my approach and putting distances.

Also as a 20 handicap looking to move to a 10 this year, I can’t wait to compare my stats to lower handicap levels to help give me more of a game improvement plan on where my game doesn’t quite stack up.

I will say I think having access to this data, having the basement setup allowing me to swing everyday, and then getting access to @GavinwithaR1 and @jenisontheforum to help us really understand the data is gonna be a game changer for my improvement this year.

Back