The rise and fall of Matthew Wolff...

He’s barely out of college. Give him time. He’ll be fine! Worst case scenario is a career like Rickie Fowler

Hope he gets back on track, enjoyed watching him do well. He is young and has plenty of time to figure some things out. Today was not a good round that is for sure

I think Wolff can be a top 20 player easy even top 10. He is ranked number 35 of the OWGR, so it is not like he is collapsing. The swing is unique, but has proven it can be very consistent and definitely one of the longest guys on tour. He is young and perhaps gets a little frustrated when things are not going his way compared to the top players, but nothing that can't be sorted out quickly. From his poor round today, it looks like he lost the majority of his strokes off the tee. The conditions could have been really tough because some notables shot high scores. Swafford shot a 78. But also it is a really tough course especially with wind.

Last edited:
He's in a sophomore slump. How he responds will be what defines him. Regardless at his worst, he's still 1,000% better than I am. So there's that... I wish him the best.

I’d just say the rise at this point. No fall detected.

I agree. He’s also come out in the past about mental health which probably has something to do with his struggles. There’s nothing wrong with that but perhaps he is getting in his own head. Either way, I hope he figures things out down the road. He seems like a lot of fun when things are going well

Wow, bit of a stretch here I think. There's literally guys that have been grinding a career out of just trying to get on the tour and stay on the tour. I think he's made 41 cuts in 55 events and already has a win. 35 OWGR, I think there's a lot of guys that would trade places with him.

As for his swing, people used to say Furyk's swing was unconventional and wouldn't hold up. Wolff's swing isn't as odd as people think. Wolff has moved the club like that his entire life. Gankas didn't teach him that takeaway. I think Wolff is still struggling with his mental health issues. He has sooo much talent, so let's hope he gets the help he needs (if it is mental again right now, i'm just guessing) and doesn't push himself beyond what he is ready to handle.

Clearly struggled yesterday including on the greens.

He’s barely out of college. Give him time. He’ll be fine! Worst case scenario is a career like Rickie Fowler
Rickie is worst case scenario? I'm not saying you're wrong but if worst case is pulling in $10 million a year in endorsement deals while playing golf and being married to a supermodel athlete then poor Matt Wolff will be just fine ;)

Guys with those very unique moves … to me they are dangerous as hell because that swing has held up and got them where they are. But if those same guys decide to make a change to chase / fix something it can be tricky because their base move is so far outside the norm.

I noted his debacle round from yestrday. I am watching featured group coverage right now and just watched him putt .That was full on "I don't care" body language. I hope he finds his inner balance and focus again. His talent is extraordinary.

Fall? He's only 23 years old. Let's see what happens over the next few years.

I think it is really early to be discussing a "fall" with a kid who is 23 years old.

Let's give him some time

Hoping he can find it. He's unique and fun to watch

I think our expectations might be a little high when people have such obvious talent. Feels like they should succeed all the time. He's 23 and already had a lot of success, but golf is hard. Forget golf, life is hard sometimes. And for some there's a bit of a fall after every goal achieved. And he achieved a lot of them, really fast. He's got plenty of time to figure all the rest out for himself.

I'm pulling for the guy. And, at some point, I expect to see him reduce the number of moving parts in his swing.

Rickie is worst case scenario? I'm not saying you're wrong but if worst case is pulling in $10 million a year in endorsement deals while playing golf and being married to a supermodel athlete then poor Matt Wolff will be just fine ;)
Haha that was my point! A lot of people consider Rickie to be an underachiever for his career and in reality, any of us would be happy to do that

He had a good finish to last season and I will be happy to seem him put it all together again.

In hockey we have a program for goalies called "lift the mask" on mental health struggles which seems to come up more often for that position than others (perhaps the individual nature of the position, the stress, or concussions?). It is an attempt to help people get help and normalize it a bit more. I feel like golf could use something similar.

Pulling for this young man to overcome his struggles.... golf is f*&^*# hard, dealing with pressure to succeed is f*&^*# harder (I assume).

Golf is hard, and his mental health struggles make for an ugly combination.

I'll add as well, this is the danger of a more complex swing. We talk about it with a putting stroke all the time, but his action requires nearly perfect timing in a lot of ways. Subtle variances can be super punishing.
I agree with this and thought that when he was first coming out of college. He has a ton of raw talent but if he's not near perfect then it can cause some big misses. I can relate to it just with an uglier swing and without the ton of raw talent.

thinking about matt wolff. mc at the masters. 9-over round 1, 6-over round 2. i know he has a long enough timeline to figure it out, it's still shocking to see him struggle so much after how fast his star rose.

Back