The rise and fall of Matthew Wolff...

thinking about matt wolff. mc at the masters. 9-over round 1, 6-over round 2. i know he has a long enough timeline to figure it out, it's still shocking to see him struggle so much after how fast his star rose.
And the 6 over I believe was all the back 9.

thinking about matt wolff. mc at the masters. 9-over round 1, 6-over round 2. i know he has a long enough timeline to figure it out, it's still shocking to see him struggle so much after how fast his star rose.
Crazy to think we are less than 2 years removed from him nearly winning the US Open and PGA championship

Crazy to think we are less than 2 years removed from him nearly winning the US Open and PGA championship

i genuinely feel bad for him. he looks miserable, and lost. he's by no means the first pro to have great success then completely lose it. but wearing it all on his sleeve kind of brings us inside the ropes.

This game and particularly at the pro level requires such mental stability and toughness. Any time you’ve got other things going on upstairs, it’s going to show in your game. I think he’ll get it figured out.

i genuinely feel bad for him. he looks miserable, and lost. he's by no means the first pro to have great success then completely lose it. but wearing it all on his sleeve kind of brings us inside the ropes.
I was talking to a friend about this exact thing today. I’m not sure any golfer has gone through the rise and fall this much during this much social media craziness.

I was talking to a friend about this exact thing today. I’m not sure any golfer has gone through the rise and fall this much during this much social media craziness.
The social media factor is a very real component in all of this. Some of our most beloved athletes might have been crucified in this era of cameraphones and Twitter wars.

I know so little about golf in general but it seems like his unorthodox swing would be terrible to try to get the timing down on. There's just so many moving parts to his swing.

I love Wolff and hope he makes it back to the top. I think if he can find a way to just have fun again he can be as good as anyone.

Smylie would be the only other that comes to mind. Except maybe, Smylie wasn't as good.

Smylie would be the only other that comes to mind. Except maybe, Smylie wasn't as good.
It was interesting seeing flashbacks today to leaderboards including the Masters where Smylie was in contention.

It was interesting seeing flashbacks today to leaderboards including the Masters where Smylie was in contention.
I saw that, and that's what made me think of him. I know he only won once, but for a while there, he was showing up on leaderboards. And then he just wasn't. It's not like he was someone who you wanted to see just fall off the planet like a Poulter or a Sabbatini, either. Just a young kid who was on a heater and then woke up like holy crap I'm playing on tour? :poop:

Money, Stardom, .... and put the pressure of golf consistency on top of that.. None of us 'hackers' could handle what Matthew has gone thru the last couple years. The key, and pathway to inner peace I found to be in Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Prayers of 'God please shew me the truth' at moments like this is a great start for everyone and anyone who is wandering 'lost' in this crazy world.

I feel bad for him. I don’t wish failure on a public stage like this on anyone (well maybe a few people).

I don’t know if it is more mental or a swing mechanic that was never going to hold. Or one contributing to another. But, I am not sure he gets over this..

Money, Stardom, .... and put the pressure of golf consistency on top of that.. None of us 'hackers' could handle what Matthew has gone thru the last couple years. The key, and pathway to inner peace I found to be in Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Prayers of 'God please shew me the truth' at moments like this is a great start for everyone and anyone who is wandering 'lost' in this crazy world.

Given equal talent? I do not, I think many would, can, and do fair way better.

The issue as we have seen over the years that once these guys seem to have lost it they never regain it… Hunter Mahan…. Dufner…..you can even say David Duvall never came close to his early aged success where he got to World #1…. And let’s be honest, who hasn’t thought to themselves about Fowler as well, has he lost it too…

The issue as we have seen over the years that once these guys seem to have lost it they never regain it… Hunter Mahan…. Dufner…..you can even say David Duvall never came close to his early aged success where he got to World #1…. And let’s be honest, who hasn’t thought to themselves about Fowler as well, has he lost it too…

the longer i watch this game, the less surprised i am when formerly good players struggle and potentially fall off. but i'm all the more impressed at the guys with longevity. it's pretty amazing, honestly.

the wolff thing is just so sad to me because while watching someone struggle with the game is bad, it's that much worse when you watch them struggle emotionally and mentally.

Smylie Kaufman is also in this bracket I think, not quite to the same extent though.

the longer i watch this game, the less surprised i am when formerly good players struggle and potentially fall off. but i'm all the more impressed at the guys with longevity. it's pretty amazing, honestly.

the wolff thing is just so sad to me because while watching someone struggle with the game is bad, it's that much worse when you watch them struggle emotionally and mentally.

I totally agree w/everything you typed and great response 👍🏻

Matthew Wolff quit today during his US Open qualifier. Put a drive into the water. Flashed deuces. Walked off the course.

Matthew Wolff quit today during his US Open qualifier. Put a drive into the water. Flashed deuces. Walked off the course.
Head case.

Back