The Rule You Intentionally Disobey the Most?

The root rule for sure, if i can roll it a couple of inches and be safe fine no penalty if it is a big move then unplayable penalty. I am trying not to us the breakfast ball any longer as I think it gives you a false sense of security.

I am all for the OB drop since who among us has the time or the will to go back to the tee box and delay others etc. I personally are the do whatever you want kind of person 98% of the time.

Lost ball when you know ball is in the vicinity and not in a hazard. Many times we'll give each other a free drop without penalty.

*Making note to send Chris back to tee box when I catch him dropping at the OB stakes......*
Making a note for your breakfast balls.

posting solo rounds for sure

If it is a casual round that is not posted then you should go out and have fun. If you have agreed upon rules for money games do what you want. Breakfast balls, fluffing, OB drops, etc. If you paid your money to play and aren't hurting anyone or the course then you do you.

If you play by your rules then post your score then I have issue. The biggest being is that you can't complain about sandbaggers. You can't shave strokes off of your score by taking a drop a from OB or lost ball, fluffing your lie, taking gimmies then turn around and say that someone is cheating by having a higher handicap then you. I saw a big difference when I would go out and shoot 85 in casual rounds (some rules broken) then play in competitions and I couldn't break 90. If I used my competition handicap in casual games I am a sandbagger, if I use my overall handicap with broken rules I am a vanity capper in competitions. You can't win. I only post rounds where I play by the rules. I play about 75% of my rounds this way. The other 25% I play and don't post and have fun.

I wouldn't say there's one in particular that we break more often than most. Been guilty of not re-teeing and dropping near where it went OB, taken a breakfast ball on occasion, rolling ball to a piece of grass when in a bad spot and will definitely move the ball to avoid injury or damage to the club (except at The Hideaway, my 6I is still scuffed to hell).

Also to be clear-- I do not play in tournaments and do not play for $$. I play for fun and because I love doing so.

OB. Play it as red stakes.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

We hit a breakfast ball off the first tee if we want

Definitely. We rarely if ever hit balls on the range beforehand. Lots of times there is no range.

I will move the ball away from any rocks or other things that would possibly damage a club.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Probably the one about agreeing to waive any of the other Rules. I always get that out of the way on the first tee. My opponent and I both agree to waive the Rule about not waiving any Rules. That way we're both DQ before we start, then we can go play golf

Which ever I feel like honestly. I play like 5-8 tournament rounds a year which are not handicapped so I play by the rules then. No walk of shames in meaningless rounds. 97% of my rounds are for fun.

As for the most moving the ball off possible roots and such so I don't break a wrist.

Last edited:
We treat OB as a water hazard most of the time. Give each other gimmies. A few of the courses have some rough spots where grass has trouble growing and we will roll the ball occasionally to find some decent grass.

A few things the group I play with, we all move the ball if rocks/tree roots are around the ball so we don’t damage a club, treat ob as a lateral hazard so we don’t have to go back and tee off again, and most of the time someone will take a breakfast ball off the 1st tee

For rounds that don't count toward anything (hc, bets, etc.), I don't take penalties for lost balls -- I look for a minute, then drop one and move on. It helps with pace of play, where taking a penalty would push me to max out my search time. I also often play courses that are less than meticulously maintained, and so create more opportunities for lost balls.

Other course maintenance related freebies: if my ball lands in the middle of goose droppings (happened), patches of fairway that are grass-free hard mud (happened), or 3" under-water *inside a bunker* after heavy rain (happened) ... I'm going to move it, always further from the hole, but to a place that looks like what my original lie should look like on a better maintained track.

Finally, if there's no driving range, I give myself the option of re-hitting my first drive.

OB rules. I usually just take my drop in the area it went out.

Right, what are you supposed to do? Go back to the tee? Stupidest rule in golf for non-professionals.

Also, I use "water balls" so I'm not losing a $4 PRO V1 on those impossible over water shots.

People need to be more liberal with provisionals, but now you don't actually have to go back with the new rules in non competitive events ect.

Right, what are you supposed to do? Go back to the tee? Stupidest rule in golf for non-professionals.

Also, I use "water balls" so I'm not losing a $4 PRO V1 on those impossible over water shots.

Absolutely agree. I also have some shag balls for shots I think I might lose.

Mulligan and free relief from anything that cause injury to you or damage to equipment.

Who am I kidding? Aside from the divot, breakfast ball, year round winter rules - unless I'm in a tournament or playing for money of course.... Free relief from roots, rocks, and despite what the USGA says, poison oak is a dangerous course condition - if the USGA wants to pay for my ER visit fine. But my guess is that they won't, so I'm taking a free drop with a fresh ball 10 yds away from that stuff.

Posting solo rounds. A game based on honesty and integrity doesn't allow me to be have integrity and be honest? F*** you USGA.

Count me as another who posts solo rounds (through Grint). I don't ever compete in any events where it would matter. I just want to know where I stand as to the state of my game and hopefully, progress. Never intended to use Grint to acquire a legit index, I might use something else if it would offer an accurate representation (used nethandicap in the past).

In years past it was leaving the pin in when putting. Bad back inspired, just didn't want to retrieve it unnecessarily. A belated, "sorry."

We usually play everything as red stakes.
I do post solo rounds.

Back