The Rule You Intentionally Disobey the Most?

So I just checked in my golf app on my phone, and I've got 394 rounds in there since 2014. In all that time, I can't remember a single one where we didn't all agree on the first tee to treat OB shots as hazards. Drop where you all agree that the ball went out, take a stroke penalty and let's play golf. I don't remember even one guy doing the Walk of Shame.

Other than that, I would say that playing out of turn is the rule we probably break the most. It's Ready Golf, all day, every day, whoever's ready plays next. It requires us all to pay attention and/or drop a "Heads-up guys; I'm hitting" now and then but it picks up the pace considerably.

My group plays for something every single time. We all agree on the first tee to:

- Breakfast balls
- No stroke and distance
- Ball-in-hand on wet days
- Gimmies

Usually we also allow for improving lies if subtle, or unmarked GUR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting solo rounds.
When the course is busy, dropping and taking a stroke if the ball is OB.
I always hit a provisional ball just in case, but there have been a couple of times I was completely surprised to find my ball OB.

can I include "rule you wish you broke"?

My handicap skyrocketed when I was injured, but now it is...I feel like I am better than my handicap. But since a large number of my rounds are solo they cannot post. So if I go out and play nines, which could combine, and shoot 36/41/38/45, then go out with my buddy and shoot a 42, I can only post the 42. So I do.

If a handicap is supposed to represent my potential, does it in those cases? no, because my 3 best rounds were solo.

But it is the rule.

Same with when I am in a group, and someone, trying to be nice or speed play or whatever, gives me a putt and ships it back to me. Rule is put down most likely score so I do. And to be sure, most of them are very, very likely to go in. But that 2-1/2" sidehill putt? I struggle with those. I don't hit them firmly which causes break issues. When do I put down 1 and when 2 strokes for that if I think it is 50/50? I want to break the rule and not record the round, but the rule is to record most likely score so I have to make a judgment.

Yup. Like the others. Logging solo rounds for handicap purposes.
Dumb rule.

Yeah, I forgot to mention one.

I don't bother to actually play golf before posting to GHIN. It's simpler just to make up a number that reflects how I know I can play and enter that. Dumb rule to require only posting rounds that you play.

I log solo rounds as well. If I think I'm OB I'll re-tee a provisional but if I don't notice until I get there that it's OB I never go back.

My league allows rolling (never nearer to the hole) in the fairways to avoid burnt out spots and divots. I'll do this sometimes if the fairways are in bad shape condition wise. I generally don't mind hitting out of most divots I find, which is maybe a few times a year at most.

Local rule, everything OB is a red stake. But I now move out of roots and rocks, as I have two damaged clubs already.

Moving my ball from areas that will damage a club. Rocks, tree roots, etc....no reason to risk damaging an expensive club for a casual round.

I couldn’t agree more with this one if I’m playing casually. There’s no way I’m risking my clubs!

I couldn’t agree more with this one if I’m playing casually. There’s no way I’m risking my clubs!

Totally with you. I did have a scenario in an amateur tournament last year where I had to hit off rocks. Ended up putting a gash in my 7-iron.

Moral of the story: don’t hit it on the rocks

If on my own or as a double and an empty course we will try and retake some chips or putts after holing out. I think all rules are followed now, but it's only because we grew up playing that way.

Practicing on a hole (after holing out for a score on that hole) is not a violation of the Rules of Golf.

Absolutely agree. I also have some shag balls for shots I think I might lose.

Upon reaching a par 3 over water tee box, Lee Trevino noticed a guy reach into his bag for an old beat up ball. Lee told him to have some confidence and play a new ball. After Lee watched the guy take a practice swing he said "you're right, better use an old ball".

Posting solo rounds
Not taking stroke-and-distance if we know that a ball is lost just off the fairway (if a gallery would have gathered around it, it's fine; if it's clearly in the woods, tough luck for hitting it there)

*Making note to send Chris back to tee box when I catch him dropping at the OB stakes......*

We're gonna have to keep an eye on you next month...paging mrhicksta to be the enforcer.

I play alone a lot and I am starting to try and track my handicap a bit which I have not really done much of before. I mean I knew about where it was but I do log solo rounds. Of course this is not an official handicap but one I keep on an app on my phone. I also will not in a casual round play from any lie that may damage a club. Rocks and tree roots are the ones that come to mind the most on that.

I might need to reevaluate my not posting solo rounds. I guess it doesn't matter much as I don't play handicap events.

We generally play OB as a 1 stroke and drop within 2 club lengths of where it went in. It's more penal than playing it as a lateral hazard, but not a stroke and distance killer.

Back