The Smart Watch Thread

So I am on the fence about getting a SmartWatch...I am looking at the New Apple Watch 2 for my iPhone and wanted to know for those who have a smartwatch, do you actually use it a lot or is it a novelty that you use for a month or two then forget about it? It it worth the money? Do you think that it is something that it would be a good investment? I am a teacher and would like to not have my phone out but still see the notifications and such. What are your thoughts?

So I am on the fence about getting a SmartWatch...I am looking at the New Apple Watch 2 for my iPhone and wanted to know for those who have a smartwatch, do you actually use it a lot or is it a novelty that you use for a month or two then forget about it? It it worth the money? Do you think that it is something that it would be a good investment? I am a teacher and would like to not have my phone out but still see the notifications and such. What are your thoughts?
Also useful during meetings.

I'm running Droid ASUS 1 vs Apple so YMMV. Overall, I have found it useful. I can read/respond to texts and the directions from Google maps are displayed on my watch so a quick glance confirms the next turn. Of course reminders are displayed. Though I have to open the app on my phone to make any changes.

How do you like that Tag Heuer Connected?

I have had the Connected since it's launched so nearly a year now. I did have to send it in and get a new one after about 3 months because the screen started to die on me. After that there have been no issues. I'll start out by saying that if the price bugs you there is nothing on the watch that will change your mind. It is an Android Wear watch with a premium price for a premium build. I personally love the styling of the watch and was intrigued by the 2 year trade-in (+ $$$) to get a mechanical watch. I had not worn a watch for many years and now i have to say I have to wear this watch everyday. The standard Tag watch faces are very elegant and look fine even though this watch does not have the highest dpi of the smartwatches out there. Anyone that asks me to see the watch has been surprised that it is a smartwatch because it doesn't look like one from a distance.

As far as apps and what I use the watch for really it just gives me notifications. I don't really need it to do anything else and no app has compelled me to change that. When I was in Scotland and Ireland for 3 weeks I left the watch at home because my US phone didn't work. I didn't want to charge everyday if it was just going to be a timepiece. I am looking forward to getting the mechanical watch after 2 years and may look at another smartwatch after that but realistically I bought the watch to get a $3000 Tag mechanical watch.

I have had the Connected since it's launched so nearly a year now. I did have to send it in and get a new one after about 3 months because the screen started to die on me. After that there have been no issues. I'll start out by saying that if the price bugs you there is nothing on the watch that will change your mind. It is an Android Wear watch with a premium price for a premium build. I personally love the styling of the watch and was intrigued by the 2 year trade-in (+ $$$) to get a mechanical watch. I had not worn a watch for many years and now i have to say I have to wear this watch everyday. The standard Tag watch faces are very elegant and look fine even though this watch does not have the highest dpi of the smartwatches out there. Anyone that asks me to see the watch has been surprised that it is a smartwatch because it doesn't look like one from a distance.

As far as apps and what I use the watch for really it just gives me notifications. I don't really need it to do anything else and no app has compelled me to change that. When I was in Scotland and Ireland for 3 weeks I left the watch at home because my US phone didn't work. I didn't want to charge everyday if it was just going to be a timepiece. I am looking forward to getting the mechanical watch after 2 years and may look at another smartwatch after that but realistically I bought the watch to get a $3000 Tag mechanical watch.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate you weighing in. I love watches, the price doesn't bug me, just was thinking it could be a unique addition. Frankly I never heard of it until I saw your post so I've put a little research in this afternoon.

I have had the Samsung Gear 2 for a little over 2 years, its been awesome to be honest. I am constantly moving around the shop where I work, lots of hard floors, so for me it is perfect, get an email, text etc, I can instantly view them quickly. if. I need to respond, I whip out my phone or can do certain responding from the watch, but I prefer to use a keyboard rather than the preset responses, though I can use the s voice but frankly I don't find the s voice very good as an overall thing.

Mine allows me to make and receive calls from the smartwatch, it has a mic and speaker, but it has to be tethered to my phone via Bluetooth it is not a separate entity by itself like some of the other smart watches.

I can with a paid subscription to golf pad, send info from my phone to the watch, not sure if I will ever decide to do that, so thats the only thing really lacking is the ability to use it as a golf gps. But I have been able to talk on it while taking a swing which is cool.

I also utilize it sometimes when I am moving about to talk for a quick pick up and quick answer call.

I also enjoy that it has the fitness functions, heart rate monitor, pedometer, run timer etc. those are useful and sync with my phone well.

If I were to buy a new device today it would be android wear since I use android, and it would be a tough choice, but I dig the round ones for style, but I have requirements, has to be able to accept a stainless band, which is why I got the gear 2 when I did versus the gear 1. had to have the ability to swap the band.

My wife suggested that we don't have phones in the evening when we are around the kids and suggested that I get a smart watch to stay in the loop if I got an urgent message.

I've been doing a lot of research and I like what I see with what's coming out with Android Wear 2.0 but seems like the smart watch that I like isn't being manufactured anymore!
I was looking at getting the Moto 360 2nd gen but doesn't look like that is going to happen. I like the look of the Samsung Gear S3, but not really a fan of being stuck to the Tizen operating system....

Anyone have more info about when Android Wear 2.0 will be released and which watches will come OOTB with it loaded?

I need to find a good fitness/smart watch for my wife, I'm leaning apple watch, as I have one, and with her iPhone I think it'll work good for her, but I'm curious recommendations from others.

Needs to have good fitness built in and iOS compatible.

I need to find a good fitness/smart watch for my wife, I'm leaning apple watch, as I have one, and with her iPhone I think it'll work good for her, but I'm curious recommendations from others.

I have a fitness blaze that i liked but have stopped using because I wasn't wearing it when I was lifting weights and also because I'm probably getting the apple watch soon. If you are interested after your research let me know and we can work out a good deal

I havent found anything that works better than my Garmin Vivoactive HR, and ive been looking for a while. Apple watch would be the only thing that comes close, but i have an android phone so its a no go.

A smart watch is something I have not looked into, but may well look at them this year

I use Android so if anyone can recommend a decent one that would be great - I have my Garmin watch for golf so it would be more for everyday use instead

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm kind of partial to Samsung. But, if I was going to blow my money on a smart watch, it would be the Gear S3. It comes in classic and frontier.
I think the classic looks nicer IMO.
be3e2225ec1becd29c16f3007186c7f7.jpg

05603ec9f19b20cac903e9a61040c6f1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm kind of partial to Samsung. But, if I was going to blow my money on a smart watch, it would be the Gear S3. It comes in classic and frontier.
I think the classic looks nicer IMO.
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I went with the S3 Frontier as I wanted LTE. Can now go to the golf course without phone, get calls, texts and app notifications as well as use the app Golf NAVI. Win win for me.

9_4.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my....Android Wear 2.0 got pushed to my Tag Connected and look what watch face came with it.

20170330_220015_zps2qdnpoxp.jpg

I've been using a Zenwatch 2 for a week. Have never been a watch person but since I'm so reliant on my Android phone I thought it might be nice to have.

So far I really like it. All my notifications arrive instantly, including Tapatalk.

Aw2.0 still hasn't been released for it but that isn't a major issue for me right now.

Last round I used it paired with golfshot and worked nicely. Want to try it with golfpadgps too.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Debate time with the Tag Heuer Connected. I have had the original 46mm since it was released in 2015 and I finally stopped by to see how to get the watch upgraded. I was presented with 2 options..... For $1500 I can get the limited edition 46mm mechanical watch or for $1900 I can get the 45mm Modular Connected with the mechanical module included. I prefer the look of the mechanical only but getting a mechanical and smartwatch is also appealing. I know I can just get the mechanical and go buy another android wear smartwatch for the extra $400. There are 2 other options but not really interested in them.

Pictures of both in this thread
https://forums.calibre11.com/threads/carrera-connected-calibre-5-exchange-watch.38252/page-5

Just got an Apple Watch for my birthday. Now to dig through and see what golf / sports apps work well with it.

Just got this
ed7a7a71d2294c024c7a5a6f8fb743a4.jpg

I believe I have it figured out pretty good. SwingxSwing works with it so I am anxious to use it for that. Any other newer golf goodies that I don’t know about that work with the watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I've grown to like mine more that I would have expected.

Back