The Smart Watch Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With the Apple Watch being a big seller this holiday season and Android Wear hitting its stride with quite a few devices, I felt as though this could use its own thread.

Ordered my wife the Moto 360 2nd gen. I'm excited to see how it does and if I need to save the money for my own

I've got an Apple Watch. For me it's a fitness tracker, notification device, golf GPS, and the 3rd party complications that were released with the watch OS upgrade were great. It's funny, people seem disappointed when I tell them what I use it for - I think they expect it to do more, but it really just streamlines my day-to-day. I don't have to take out my phone nearly as much.

I'm a fan, and will probably buy the next version when it comes out.

Been contemplating an apple watch. Maybe something I get early next year

I have an Apple Watch. The Mrs. got it for me for Fathers Day earlier this year. It's a neat gadget, quite handy at times. Could I live without it? Yep. Do I like having it? Absolutely.

Wish it did more "cool" things, but I use it for quite a bit, and like it as a watch...too.

I've been looking in to them. I know my sister just got my father the Zenwatch 2 for Xmas. Interested to tinker with it next weekend.

• Admin
I've been looking in to them. I know my sister just got my father the Zenwatch 2 for Xmas. Interested to tinker with it next weekend.

GG switched from Pebble Time Round to that one a couple of days ago. Its quite nice.

A friend down here has that one.

It's a beauty of a smartwatch. Love the sleekness to it.

• Admin

Me too. Runs full Android Wear and costs $150. It works really well too.

Me too. Runs full Android Wear and costs $150. It works really well too.

yup I looked at one today. Good size, doesn't look crazy. Price is really good. I have 50 or so sitting in my play account that I could throw towards it if I end up liking his.

yup I looked at one today. Good size, doesn't look crazy. Price is really good. I have 50 or so sitting in my play account that I could throw towards it if I end up liking his.

I had $65 in Best Buy rewards so it brought the price down to under $100 which was awesome.

The ZenWatch 2 had me considering, but I think I'll hold out for one that I can run without the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have the first Microsoft Band and really like it a lot. It isn't the most comfortable thing to wear in the beginning, but I got use to it pretty quickly. I would love to have the 2nd version as it looks a lot more comfortable, but I have only had this one since October so a new one is out of the question right now. It has the heart rate monitor, pedometer, calories burned counter, distance moved, golf GPS / stroke counter, weather, alarm, ability to read text and reply (canned replies), as well as a workout tracker. It really does do a great deal of things.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I will say that Android Wear is pretty neat. It does a lot of things really well. So does Tizen, but it is a bit more limited.

My wife got me an Apple Watch for our anniversary. It's great for golf when I don't want to use my laser and it's awesome for notifications and as a clock/alarm clock. Other than that not much else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife got me an Apple Watch for our anniversary. It's great for golf when I don't want to use my laser and it's awesome for notifications and as a clock/alarm clock. Other than that not much else.

Yeah its a bit slower to the stuff than Android Wear, but it does seem to work fairly well. Still wish more hotel chains would have an app in place, because once in the rental car, it would be really easy to just use a wrist to send address to GPS, but they will get there.

Its funny some of these "made in China" watches, have all of these features already, and a lot more, so you know they are coming to mainstream soon. I would bet good money that Huawei will have something hi-tech very soon.

Yeah its a bit slower to the stuff than Android Wear, but it does seem to work fairly well. Still wish more hotel chains would have an app in place, because once in the rental car, it would be really easy to just use a wrist to send address to GPS, but they will get there.

Its funny some of these "made in China" watches, have all of these features already, and a lot more, so you know they are coming to mainstream soon. I would bet good money that Huawei will have something hi-tech very soon.

Agreed. The issue I see with all the apps I routinely use is that the Apple Watch feels like an afterthought in the sense that the developer threw something together to have a watch app, but really didn't do anything to utilize the watch.

I'm hoping that will change as the OS continues to improve and developers become more familiar with it.

Agreed. The issue I see with all the apps I routinely use is that the Apple Watch feels like an afterthought in the sense that the developer threw something together to have a watch app, but really didn't do anything to utilize the watch.

I'm hoping that will change as the OS continues to improve and developers become more familiar with it.

Was trying to put my finger on it, and I think you nailed it. Im sure by the time Apple Watch 2 comes out (guessing in Sept of 2016) this changes.

Was trying to put my finger on it, and I think you nailed it. Im sure by the time Apple Watch 2 comes out (guessing in Sept of 2016) this changes.

Are these issues with watchOS or have they carried over into watchOS2 as well

Are these issues with watchOS or have they carried over into watchOS2 as well

I wouldnt call them issues really. Just that functionality is limited compared to a few others on the market. What it does, it does fairly well, but they are relying on the app producers to keep up and its not there yet from 3rd party in my opinion.

I got the Sony Smartwatch 3 on Amazon for a great deal and I am really enjoying it so far.

I just received an Apple Watch from work for Christmas. I'm not sure all it can do, but I found out I have to have my phone near to use GPS enabled apps like Maps or golf gps ones. Seems like that's a little silly to have to keep my phone near; why don't I just USE my phone instead. Anyway. I'm going to keep it, but I'm not all that excited about it...

I've really enjoyed my apple watch, my wife got a Pebble Time as a cheaper alternative, honestly we probably should have just found an apple watch on sale for her, the pebble falls short a bit on the interface.

The Smart Watch Thread

I just received an Apple Watch from work for Christmas. I'm not sure all it can do, but I found out I have to have my phone near to use GPS enabled apps like Maps or golf gps ones. Seems like that's a little silly to have to keep my phone near; why don't I just USE my phone instead. Anyway. I'm going to keep it, but I'm not all that excited about it...

I'll give you a $100 for it since you don't really want it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back