The Social Dilemma (Netflix Documentary)

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Interesting documentary, but don’t feel it told me anything I didn’t already know or suspect.

Molten

Man Down
Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting documentary, but don’t feel it told me anything I didn’t already know or suspect.
Absolutely. but I'm super conscious every time I pick up my phone and I'm honestly happy about that because I wasted mindless hours that could have been used making myself a better putter

Boone

Reaction score
I love this place. It's the way the internet should be. Show me everything and let me decide. Don't decide what I like beforehand then show me that stuff. Also I appreciate you all guarding our personal info.
THP is great. But the vast majority of Internet forums where there can be free-wheeling discussion and the development of actual relationships are either gone or heading that way. Golf is enormously popular and that fact, plus the obviously great community JB and Morgan have built and all the support from sponsors has made this place successful. But this is the exception. Message boards, forums, special topic web communities have been made obselete by mega sites like FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc... it’s not just algorithms that are problematic, but the nature of conversation on those platforms which encourages drive by posting, anonymous harassment and rudeness, staking out of extreme positions, and aggressiveness.

Ive run an NFL forum for more than a decade. We are still at it, but every year it is harder to sustain traffic and attract new members. It’s a commitment and they’d rather post drivel they don’t have to be accountable for on one of the mega-alternatives. Forums are dying and I don’t see that trend changing. Makes me sad.

DataDude

Reaction score
Handicap
THP is great. But the vast majority of Internet forums where there can be free-wheeling discussion and the development of actual relationships are either gone or heading that way. Golf is enormously popular and that fact, plus the obviously great community JB and Morgan have built and all the support from sponsors has made this place successful. But this is the exception. Message boards, forums, special topic web communities have been made obselete by mega sites like FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc... it’s not just algorithms that are problematic, but the nature of conversation on those platforms which encourages drive by posting, anonymous harassment and rudeness, staking out of extreme positions, and aggressiveness.

Ive run an NFL forum for more than a decade. We are still at it, but every year it is harder to sustain traffic and attract new members. It’s a commitment and they’d rather post drivel they don’t have to be accountable for on one of the mega-alternatives. Forums are dying and I don’t see that trend changing. Makes me sad.
I am an actuary by trade and DW Simpson (actuarial recruitment firm) ran a forum called Actuarial Outpost for years. I joined while taking exams and enjoyed posting there for years. 3 or 4 weeks ago the site is down for a week. I finally fins a backend link via direct IP address on a Reddit forum and find out basically DW Simpson shut the site down and it's running on a server till it shuts down die when the contract runs out. It's weird posting on a forum that about 20% of the users have found and no one knows when it will die for good.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in