The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these are really good thoughts for you! Can't wait to see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see the Michigan Gathering thread??
I'd love to see you come over for it!

had just a great day today at the range, one of the days when everything just clicked, and even some bad swings ended up ok. Really worked on my driver ultimately, and gave the J715 test drive some more work. I think next range session though I might focus more on my long irons. Just too much inconsistency, and I need to build up the confidence when i take out my 4 or 5 iron, which I think for me is half the problem when i get out on the course. Have to push away that doubt that occasionally creeps in that i might not make a good shot...and that only comes with practice and knowing I can make it.

Spent an hour putting & an hour chipping after work today. Got a long way to go.

Hit some birdie balls into to backyard tonight, really focused on setup and firing the left hip behind me to start the downswing.

It's starting to feel more comfortable and natural

Hit some birdie balls into to backyard tonight, really focused on setup and firing the left hip behind me to start the downswing.

It's starting to feel more comfortable and natural

Firing the left hip behind me has been a huge help for me too. Keep up the good work!

Firing the left hip behind me has been a huge help for me too. Keep up the good work!

It seems to be the last big piece of the puzzle for me to hit the ball consistent, I need to get back playing like I did the first 7 holes on the back 9 in OC. That was stupid fun golf and the stretch of golf I keep replaying when I think about how I want to play this game.

Decent range session tonight working thru the odds, 3W and driver. I kept seeing a lot of inconsistencies with the mid to long irons off the turf but a nice high draw off a tee. I've been seeing the same thing on the course lately so may be time for a lesson soon. Pitch shots and woods were solid.

Followed up my last range session with another good one tonight.
Hit nothing but 7i, 4i, and driver tonight and while the irons were a touch squirrelly the contact was there.
The driver was finally back under control and for me right now that's all that matters.

Had a lesson Wednesday night, and worked on letting the club release naturally instead of trying to force it square (which led to crazy amounts of chicken-wing). I think I finally got it last night. We'll see on Sunday. :D

It seems to be the last big piece of the puzzle for me to hit the ball consistent, I need to get back playing like I did the first 7 holes on the back 9 in OC. That was stupid fun golf and the stretch of golf I keep replaying when I think about how I want to play this game.

That was fun to watch. You know you can do it now, just have to trust it.

I have been spending a lot of time on very short chips. 10-15 yards. My drill is 10 balls. If I don't get at least 7 in the orange ring, I don't get to move to a new target. They recently added another ring that is larger. I give myself 2 points for the orange ring and 1 for white. 15 points needed to move on. This is really helping me.
088cf0c9e33653f6896779c2e055bf40.jpg

Had a range session yesterday in perfect conditions. The wind died down and it was about 75 at 6pm. I've got my first match in our club's match play on Sunday and wanted to see if some things I sorted out last round were here to stay.

My irons and wedges remain solid, I feel like I'm a little more upright and am catching everything with great lag and power. Fairways have been good, that remains. Driver has been poor and during my last round I weakened my right hand grip and it was worlds better. Worked on that for perhaps 1/3 of my medium bucket and I am pumped on the results, the boom stick looks to be back! Then I putted for a bit and just worked on a smooth takeaway, I always mess around with closing my eyes after addressing the ball and it gets my tempo back where it belongs, amazing how many putts you make when you stop watching everything.

There's a nice field about 100 yards long and 50 yards wide just next to my apartment and I got out there this evening and worked on getting comfortable with my new MackDaddy 2 Tour Grinds and hit BirdieBalls with my 8/9/PW working on keeping my spine angle like Freddie has been talking about. I've been standing way up lately. Just tried to work on basics, nothing special. It was breezy out, but other than that, the weather could not have been better.

Worked on my swing using a broom handle across the chest to concentrate on turning my shoulders, weight transfer, then hiding the left hip and letting everything else follow

Good night

Worked on my putting tonight and was amazed at the difference in results between some different putters.

Plumbers necks just aren't a good match for my stroke, although I couldn't tell you why exactly.

Had a break between shifts at work, so I snuck out to the putting green. Practiced left hand only and right hand only 3 foot putts. Made 6 in a row for each hand then 6 in a row with two hands. Moved to the chipping green and struggled with pitching from a muddy lie. I kept chunking the ball when I had no grass under the ball. Not really sure about the best way to play this shot. Maybe next time out I'll try to play it as an explosion/bunker shot.

Spent an hour knocking the dust off. It wasn't pretty but ya gotta start somewhere. Felt good just to swing a club again.

Lesson and practice yesterday. Working on creating width by getting the club back over my heels more at the top. It changes my balance and I will have to work on getting the hips working right along with this now.

Had a break between shifts at work, so I snuck out to the putting green. Practiced left hand only and right hand only 3 foot putts. Made 6 in a row for each hand then 6 in a row with two hands. Moved to the chipping green and struggled with pitching from a muddy lie. I kept chunking the ball when I had no grass under the ball. Not really sure about the best way to play this shot. Maybe next time out I'll try to play it as an explosion/bunker shot.

How far were you pitching from a muddy lie?

How far were you pitching from a muddy lie?

Different distances about 15 to 25 yards. It was very strange. I was using a 54 degree wedge with 14 degrees of bounce. I thought the bounce on the club would prevent the heavy miss, but I was hitting half of the shots fat.

Couple hours at the range this morning with Preston as it as the first time he has hit a ball this year due to an injury

Was a pretty good session again and then we had a bit of a putting competition as one of the putting greens was empty

Spent a good hour and a half practicing with Maddog Friday night on the sim. Did some comparison stuff with some clubs and took some videos. I was striking the ball really really well. This shot was the J15 MB 6iron to 185 green.

Different distances about 15 to 25 yards. It was very strange. I was using a 54 degree wedge with 14 degrees of bounce. I thought the bounce on the club would prevent the heavy miss, but I was hitting half of the shots fat.

For those shots I open the face and swing shallow to pick the ball clean, with the goal of disturbing as little of the mud as possible.

More drill work focusing on getting back to the ball from the top down using my lower body and shoulders more level at Impact instead of right low/left high really need to cover the call better for a lower LA and mo distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back