The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made it out to the Range and short game area with Bhilln tonight and was happy to see Srixon 545's in his bag. Me, I brought my spare set of Cobra Amps to just hit them and see the difference since I haven't hit them in awhile. Wow I think I might be putting the Cobra's back in the bag. Could defiantly tell they're lighter and seemed a little more forgiving tonight. Going to play 18 with them on saturday and see if they stay in bag. Also got to try out Brian's Titliest 913F.d and wow I really enjoyed that club. Might have to look into them and may replace the Srixon 3 wood. After the range session worked on the short game and did some testing. Was really hitting pitch, chips and sands shots great tonight. Was seeing great spin and only had one thin shot. I have messed with my release and stance and seems to be working great. Look forward to seeing if I can take it to the course. After the short game area went over and worked with the SeeMore. Worked on my stance and just keeping it sqaure and aligned. Seemed I have been hitting off the hill and toe lately. But worked on it and was doing better. Overall good night of practicing.

Had a great day at the range today. Still windy but played a little 10 ball with 5 different clubs (10 balls with each club trying to hit a target/area) and did pretty well. Went back to the Cleveland driver and was hitting it way better as well. One more range session this week and then a little Old Silo warm up with some THPers on Saturday to see where the game is currently. Looking good though after the debacle that was last Sunday.

Regripping and letting the club move in my hands at the top of my backswing is my greatest fault right now. It seems like such an easy problem to fix, just hold on to the club, but I still have to work hard to not do it.

Lot easier (for me) if I get wrist set out of the way early and keep a small backswing.

Lot easier (for me) if I get wrist set out of the way early and keep a small backswing.

same here and early wrist set also helps me keep a shortened backswing and not get to long. one drill i have been trying is a no wrist backswing and letting the wrists set naturally. saw this in one of the videos T2GRN18 posted in his legacy thread. really has helped keeping a shorter compact swing and i saw good results with my irons on sunday as a result.

I event out the range last night and it was a total disaster for the first 3/4 of it. I shanked probably 30 balls, most with a wedge, and nearly just walked away from it. But I took a breath and went back to basics, focusing on keeping my spine angle and not over swinging. This seemed to be the ticket, as the next 30-40 swings went very well. Seems the length of my swing was killing my driver accuracy, so shortening it really helped. Moved to the putting green and worked on gettibg my ball on line consistently and spending less time standing over the putt. Finished the session by knocking down four straight 20 footers. I don't think I've ever done that before. Quite a big turnaround from where I started.

An hour putting today..

9e912d53e2a48b26bba092109312b6e1.jpg

Went to the park and hit a handful of 9 iron pitches. Focus was posture. Just need to get back to basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played nine today and the struggle continued. Went right to the range and spent an hour working on irons and Driver. Did some tinkering with the BB Alpha 815. Put the B Asha in it and dialed it up to 12.5 degrees. Flipped the Gravity Core up also. Going to play with it in this configuration for the next couple of weeks and see how I like it on course. Had a nice higher launch today on the range. My AoA is so down on the ball I don't get good launch.

I went and took a few swings today. Still working on keeping my grip from getting too strong and turning, not lifting. I gotta say I'm making pretty good contact and liking the better ball flight.

Put in a solid hour and a half of short irons with my BirdieBalls and inside 100 yards with my 60*. Still trying to get used to the MD2s. Got a nice workout in walking back and forth chasing balls. First time I've had my FitBit tell me that I reached 10k steps for the day since I got it on Monday. Looking forward to getting out on the course tomorrow.

A little iron work today. Just focused on making a smooth swing and a full turn.

Did some on course practice today after work. Irons are getting much better, but I decided to try my low spinning wedge shot that I was practicing yesterday on the course and I'm not really ready to use it during real rounds quite yet. Hit way too many of them long and ended up in trouble a few times because of it. I still need to get some practice so that I can get the distance down a bit. At least they're not all short, which is what I was dealing with.

Worked on some things my teacher pointed out. Two buckets, working on set up and swing path. One of the drills has me putting two head covers down inside the swing path to get me to take the back swing to the outside and the downswing to go toward the target, and I sent the dang forward one out into the range half a dozen times. Coach calls the embarrassment of having to retrieve the darn thing my "punishment" for a bad swing path. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worked on some things my teacher pointed out. Two buckets, working on set up and swing path. One of the drills has me putting two head covers down inside the swing path to get me to take the back swing to the outside and the downswing to go toward the target, and I sent the dang forward one out into the range half a dozen times. Coach calls the embarrassment of having to retrieve the darn thing my "punishment" for a bad swing path. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My instructor does the same thing with my headcovers. I've sent quite a few downrange and have taken the walk of shame as well, so don't feel all alone.

Spent an hour on the putting green. Most of that time working on speed with longer putts using the left hand low grip.

Key ended up being a focus on keeping the same smooth tempo and resist trying to add speed. Slow ass greens at this place, so who knows of it helped lol.

First range session of the year tonight. Apex vs Altitude showdown, and I am super confused.

A) One feels so good.
B) One is crazy long.
C) One launches and goes.
D) One with a much more traditional flight.
E) One is stupid forgiving (but almost to the point where I was lazy when swinging it)

Apex was A,B, and D. Altitude was C & E....... and all I took from it was that the Apex 5 with a heavier shaft was not for me, and the 6 iron has the strangest sound of anything I have ever hit.

5Deep vs 910F 4W.... same thing. 910F just takes off, 5Deep with a much different ball flight than I would have thought. 5Deep was further than the 4W however.

Just worked on putting tonight, and making sure I hold pose after I putt the ball. Learn that from Pelz Corner tonight.

Got my iron headcovers in, and am using them for both protection and to help my game. On each one I can write a couple of notes specific to each club. Nothing crazy, just the 1 or 2 things specific to that club I need to remember. Not every club has them, but I take a look at them when I get out a club and that helps reinforce what I have been working on.

I have a spotty memory at times, so reminders are my lifeblood in all parts of my life.

I have a question about driving range practice, hopefully this is a legit place to put it.

I got brand new clubs Monday that are fitted by the pros at Redtail Golf Center. Today was my first chance to A) try out the new clubs and B) work on the swing path correction my fitter showed me. So I warmed up nice and slow, pulled out the 8 iron as a nice, modest length club. I carefully set up my feet and shoulders to ensure I was aimed at the target. I closed the clubface ever so slightly to my planned swing path. I swung 8-2, with a nice smooth backswing, a nice swing through. It felt good. It sounded great. It went....

Well, therein lies the problem. I hit approximately 110 balls with 3 wedges, 9i through 6i, my 4 hybrid, my old trusty 7w and driver. I SAW maybe 10-15 balls. The rest of them? I literally have no idea if they hit the net on the right, hit the net on the left, went right down the middle...I don't know if they were well short of the target, on target, long of target. My inability to see the shot means I have no idea if the swing path I was grooving was good, bad, or indifferent.

The few balls I did see had a beautiful, high-arcing shape. A couple had a nice draw. a couple pushed well right, a couple were straight, and there was at least one slice and one hook. Maybe 10 shots I know where went.

As a result I have no idea of distance or location.

How do I change this so driving range time is fruitful instead of just hit something that feels good and hope it is remotely close to where I wanted it to go?

Spent time chipping and pitching

I hit em' like crap today at the range. Swing changes from lessons are coming along slowly to say the least. . . woof.

After reading "The Unstoppable Golfer" by Bob Rotella on a flight Sunday I decided that I really need to be focusing on all the shots inside of 30 yards.

Once upon a time before kids these shots were the strength of my game but all of my limited practice time the last 17 years has been mostly with the full swing and putting. I went to the club and hit 50 bunker shots and 200 short pitches and I'll be damned if my short game touch started to come back a little bit. The great thing about these shots is they don't tire you out in any way - I could hit shots like that for 4 hours and not have any fatigue. I've got a long ways to go but for the next couple months I'm devoting 90% of my practice time to chips, pitches, and bunker shots inside of 30 yards. Maybe hitting 1,000 of these shots each week will get me where I'm happy with my short game again.

Range session was kind of iffy today; for some reason I was having trouble getting the club face back to square and hitting a bunch high and right. Need to focus on turning my hands over correctly going forward. Nothing catastrophic, but I just didn't feel like I had it today.

I have a question about driving range practice, hopefully this is a legit place to put it.

I got brand new clubs Monday that are fitted by the pros at Redtail Golf Center. Today was my first chance to A) try out the new clubs and B) work on the swing path correction my fitter showed me. So I warmed up nice and slow, pulled out the 8 iron as a nice, modest length club. I carefully set up my feet and shoulders to ensure I was aimed at the target. I closed the clubface ever so slightly to my planned swing path. I swung 8-2, with a nice smooth backswing, a nice swing through. It felt good. It sounded great. It went....

Well, therein lies the problem. I hit approximately 110 balls with 3 wedges, 9i through 6i, my 4 hybrid, my old trusty 7w and driver. I SAW maybe 10-15 balls. The rest of them? I literally have no idea if they hit the net on the right, hit the net on the left, went right down the middle...I don't know if they were well short of the target, on target, long of target. My inability to see the shot means I have no idea if the swing path I was grooving was good, bad, or indifferent.

The few balls I did see had a beautiful, high-arcing shape. A couple had a nice draw. a couple pushed well right, a couple were straight, and there was at least one slice and one hook. Maybe 10 shots I know where went.

As a result I have no idea of distance or location.

How do I change this so driving range time is fruitful instead of just hit something that feels good and hope it is remotely close to where I wanted it to go?

Is this because of a vision problem or was the sun in your eyes?

Hit more pitches at the park. Posture and tempo were the focus. Really want to gain confidence in my intermediate pitch shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back