#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

So the one topic we haven't really broached as of late (and the only thing remaining that I can remember) is the rental cars. I know Barry is getting a rental, and we will have 3 guys with their own cars (Dave, Paul, and Mike). Will we need another rental car, or will that be enough? I know Tim and I will need to get from the airport to the Embassy Suites, but we can always just get a cab for that one trip (and return to airport).
I can drive a few in the SUV from the hotel to wherever on Thurs and Fri, but I need to be on the road by about 6 PM Friday night.

So the one topic we haven't really broached as of late (and the only thing remaining that I can remember) is the rental cars. I know Barry is getting a rental, and we will have 3 guys with their own cars (Dave, Paul, and Mike). Will we need another rental car, or will that be enough? I know Tim and I will need to get from the airport to the Embassy Suites, but we can always just get a cab for that one trip (and return to airport).

Up to y'all :) I'm riding with Barry for pretty much the duration of the trip. The only time I think I'll need a separate trip is when we get done with our twilight round on Saturday. It may be worth checking on the approximate taxi cost from the airport to the hotel. Might be one of those things where it's just about as cost effective to rent a car. No idea.

Up to y'all :) I'm riding with Barry for pretty much the duration of the trip. The only time I think I'll need a separate trip is when we get done with our twilight round on Saturday. It may be worth checking on the approximate taxi cost from the airport to the hotel. Might be one of those things where it's just about as cost effective to rent a car. No idea.

Yeah, I guess the question is how many cars we'll have available for Friday night and Saturday. We'll have Barry's rental, Mike's car (small), and Paul's rig. The question is, is that sufficient.

According to Google, taxi rates in SD are $3 to get in, $3 a mile after that, plus an additional $2 if it's from the airport. 15 miles from airport to the hotel, so it's about a $50 cab ride.

Yeah, I guess the question is how many cars we'll have available for Friday night and Saturday. We'll have Barry's rental, Mike's car (small), and Paul's rig. The question is, is that sufficient.

According to Google, taxi rates in SD are $3 to get in, $3 a mile after that, plus an additional $2 if it's from the airport. 15 miles from airport to the hotel, so it's about a $50 cab ride.

I have to take the driver and 3 wood out of the bag for the bag to fit in the trunk :) they sit on the passenger seat

It will be good to find out what Galen will be driving. If y'all/we can use Dave's SUV through Friday afternoon, and Paul's ride Friday night/Sat to get to Torrey. We'd just need a Taxi from Torrey to the hotel after the Twilight round. The four of us who'll still be in town can ride with Barry to dinner Sat night (no clubs needed), and then you and Tim can split another cab back to the airport Sunday morning.

It will be good to find out what Galen will be driving. If y'all/we can use Dave's SUV through Friday afternoon, and Paul's ride Friday night/Sat to get to Torrey. We'd just need a Taxi from Torrey to the hotel after the Twilight round. The four of us who'll still be in town can ride with Barry to dinner Sat night (no clubs needed), and then you and Tim can split another cab back to the airport Sunday morning.

Works for me. If my math is correct that's about $120-130 in cab fees. I'll price out a rental and see what it works out to, but I can't see it being any cheaper than about $200. If it is though, it may be the better route.

So revising, looks like we could get a midsize (Corolla) or similar for like $130+gas from 8/19 - 8/23 if prepaid. Deals on hotwire.com right now. Gives us more flexibility, but worth keeping in mind is that parking at the Embassy Suites is freaking $25 a night. So really it's $230 by the time you're done, plus gas.

Tim, what do you think?

We also have Uber here which is usually cheaper than a cab.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My car seats five and I'm fine with driving thurs/fri/sat. After the AM round of golf I can take people back to the hotel and the airport if need be. If that is of no help then I'm with Ken, uber is the way to go. When I signed up for an account it was through my wife. She sent out e-mails to all of us that were in San Diego so everyone who accepted her invite and created an account received $20 free credit so we took turns calling out an uber driver. It worked great and you see what it will cost up front.

My car seats five and I'm fine with driving thurs/fri/sat. After the AM round of golf I can take people back to the hotel and the airport if need be. If that is of no help then I'm with Ken, uber is the way to go. When I signed up for an account it was through my wife. She sent out e-mails to all of us that were in San Diego so everyone who accepted her invite and created an account received $20 free credit so we took turns calling out an uber driver. It worked great and you see what it will cost up front.

Thanks Paul. There are 4 of us playing Torrey South Saturday afternoon at 2 something. You're welcome to join as a single the tee time before/after. They won't let us book a 5some.

Looks like it'll be helpful for you to drive around Tim and Ryan Friday afternoon (after the Project X golfing to dinner and the hotel) and to Torrey Saturday morning.

Should be a great time.

I will be driving to Torrey Sat am as I will going to back home afterwards.

So revising, looks like we could get a midsize (Corolla) or similar for like $130+gas from 8/19 - 8/23 if prepaid. Deals on hotwire.com right now. Gives us more flexibility, but worth keeping in mind is that parking at the Embassy Suites is freaking $25 a night. So really it's $230 by the time you're done, plus gas.

Tim, what do you think?

I was thinking we should rent but if there are others who can get us to and back from PX, Balboa, and TP then I'm fine with taking a cab/uber. We just need to make sure there's enough cars and space for us and our clubs on Friday and Saturday.

I booked my flight yesterday. I'm getting into SD at 10:45 PM on Wednesday and my flight on Sunday leaves SD at 12:55 PM.

I was thinking we should rent but if there are others who can get us to and back from PX, Balboa, and TP then I'm fine with taking a cab/uber. We just need to make sure there's enough cars and space for us and our clubs on Friday and Saturday.

I booked my flight yesterday. I'm getting into SD at 10:45 PM on Wednesday and my flight on Sunday leaves SD at 12:55 PM.

I get in at 10:16pm Wed and leave 10:19am Sun, so we should be able to rideshare no problem. Sounds like we should be covered Saturday between Paul's and Barry's rides, so let's plan on that.

Oh and BTW, I will of course kick in some gas money to those who cart my ass around! :D

Okay, Tee Time (2:30) has been booked for Wednesday 8/19!

First post updated with time, thanks Ale!

Just heads up, I'm thinking of adding another group in the Pm for the south course. Taos wants to get in on the action with THPers so i believe Barry said he might want to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just heads up, I'm thinking of adding another group in the Pm for the south course. Taos wants to get in on the action with THPers so i believe Barry said he might want to play.

Works for me, the more the merrier!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well, why not. Who knows when I'll get to SD again so if you can get more then I'm in for another go at South on Saturday afternoon.

Well, why not. Who knows when I'll get to SD again so if you can get more then I'm in for another go at South on Saturday afternoon.

Good man!

Man I can't freakin wait for this!

Good man!

Man I can't freakin wait for this!

I wish I didnt feel so damn sick this weekend or I would have hit a ton more balls with the test shaft, but we are inside of a month now and I cannot freaking wait.

I just added San Diego to my weather tracker since this is two weeks off. The temps there are going to feel glorious after the steady steam of 90+ degree days we've had in Atlanta.

I just added San Diego to my weather tracker since this is two weeks off. The temps there are going to feel glorious after the steady steam of 90+ degree days we've had in Atlanta.

I moved from Florida last year to SoCal and the weather is just amazing. You are in for a treat.

Was just thinking about this the other day. I know we've got 2 suites at the Embassy (1 by Barry, 1 by me) and we'll be splitting them various ways between the 7 of us depending how many folks are around, but I was just wondering, what is the cleanest way to split things up? Will they split among several cards at the desk or are we better off sending money to each other via PayPal/check/etc.? Applies to rental cars/ridesharing with folks who have cars as well.

Back