Think I Need Lower Driver Spin

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
From what I've read and looking at my numbers I think I need to reduce my spin to get better performance and I'm not sure how to go about it so any comments and advice are welcome however. It a new driver is not an option. I'm thinking more in the lines of ball and shafts that could help reduce the numbers. Here are some numbers from a trackman session.

Cobra F6+ 9* weight in the most forward position with a stock stiff Matrix Black Tie.
Club Speed 107-111
AoA 5.4-6.2
Launch angle 16-18
Spin 4200-5200
Ball Titleist Velocity.

That much launch and that much spin, is it the clubhead/shaft or are you adding a bit of loft at impact? Have you checked on video to figure out what's happening there?

Wow those are really interesting numbers and not something I've seen often. You must put NASA on alert every time you tee it up bud!

I know you said balls or shafts but considering those numbers you might try to find an old tour issue driver with 5 or 6* of loft and plug in a heavy X-stiff shaft.
You could smother the crown in lead tape to raise the center of gravity - would knock the flight and spin down.
I think the W/S Duo is the lowest spinning golf ball I'm aware of. Not sure where the Velocity fits in with that.

Sorry about that. Lol.

The high spin was across the board with a variety drivers. I'm going to the range tomorrow and back to trackman next week I'm going to take me I25 and see what it does and compare it to what I was getting with it last year.

Was your AOA a + or -?? Seems like it must be - to get spin like that. If it is you need to find a way to hit up not down on the ball. I'm no expert but it's just a thought.

Was your AOA a + or -?? Seems like it must be - to get spin like that. If it is you need to find a way to hit up not down on the ball. I'm no expert but it's just a thought.

It's on the plus side.

I know it's different for everyone, but I spun black tie like a top. Really really bad numbers.

Wondering how much you've experienced in terms of shafts not related to the the black tie? I'd shoot for something firmer in the tip section for sure.

Very interesting! For the launch angle to be that high I'd assume you're hitting up on the ball. Where is primary impact area? I'd guess equipment wise the shaft is one that could use a swap... if it's the 0m4 series black tie that comes stock, it's not very low launch or spin in my experience. Find a shaft that's more tip stiff and more stiff overall. Have you ever tried fujikura speeder 757 line? Should help some

that black tie is a low spinning shaft , i think your flex is what is getting u with your high swing speed u need at least x flex in same shaft would probably do it imho go see if u can hit x stiff with that head, i have that head and i could not get the ball up with that black tie and then i went red tie and the club came alive for me , i love it

Never tried a Fuji. I'll take a look around at some options.

I had a problem similar to this a couple years back, where a black tie x and a 7 degree driver wasn't enough to keep the launch and spin down. The fix was lessons, more specifically it was in my grip. I'd recommend seeing an instructor.

It's interesting to hear the comments on the black tie. I put it in my M1 9.5* and it's feels really good. But I got on a monitor today (FlightScope) and the lowest numbers I could get even with centered strikes was 2800 rpms. If I teed up higher I saw 2600 rpms of high toe area. I'm playing the X and had swings from 105-116mph. Lowering the loft didn't seem to make any consistent difference either.

I'm leaning stiffer and/or heavier shaft, and maybe looking at face contact on the driver and how you are delivering the club head.

Sorry about that. Lol.

The high spin was across the board with a variety drivers. I'm going to the range tomorrow and back to trackman next week I'm going to take me I25 and see what it does and compare it to what I was getting with it last year.

What weight is the black tie? Have you tried a heavier shaft? (Something in the 80 gram range..)

Back